Jabsco Pump

seadog42uk

Featured Posts

Yes, pipe connection end under a cover (blue). well it is on my Jabsco Par Max.

Be gentle, it may not be the pressure switch, also check the accumulator if you have one.

In fact check the accumulator first.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem. As yet I cant ID it, but it looks like a Jabsco with increase/Decrease written around an adjustment screw. If it starts randomly and doesnt want to stop. Can anyone advise me on the direction of adjustment needed. I have also noticed that if my batteries are low, it doesnt run as quick or shut off at all sometimes. I've just had a weekend away with everything off, came back to almost flat batteries, with a 4oo watt system in full sun, because it seemed to be running over the weekend. ??

The Jabsco Par Max 2.9 (a typical pump) draws a maximum of 4.4 amps at 12 V. That equates to 54 Watts, so over 24 hours it would consume 1.3kWh.

A 400 Watt solar system in good sun for 8 hours should theoretically produce 3.2kWh, but in practice will produce more like half that (sun at wrong angle, not as strong as Med sun, etc.), but it should still be enough to keep your batteries topped up and run the pump. However, if you have a fridge going as well you are going to come unstuck because that could well use more than 0.5kWh.

And that assumes your batteries started off fully charged and in good condition.

The temporary solution is to turn off the pump when you are not using it.

I would be looking for leaks.

Edited by George94

• 5 months later...

I've had a water pump main body leaking for sometime.has this happened to you?

I didn't realise, till we notice damp at the bottom of the bulkhead.

Empty bottom of wife's wardrobe, found that the jabsco pump was spraying or a fine spray from the main body thick seal join section.

Took it apart, put a smear of sealent on the body really thick spacer thing.and re screwed the three white discs were dirty like a soft scale. Took that bit of and put grease on the spindle cog thingymagig

It's now working, no leaks!.

Has this happened to anyone before, the pump is under 2 years old. It's a jabsco 2.9

Has anyone had the main body leak before??

I have to say we removed 5 buckets out the bilge

Getting a small dehumidifier today

Col

Not a Jabsco but a flojet leak . Keep a Jabsco as a spare , found it very noisy. Just a thought for anyone reading this , we have a water alarm popped in our cabin bilge for just this type of problem , has alerted us 4 times now over 11 years to various little leaks . Bunny

Do you have a filter on the pump inlet, does it collect crud? If the little mushroom valves round the pump chambers don't seal well, then the pump will not achieve full pressure as efficiently, and so may take longer to shut off. Once the pump has shut off, does it retain pressure in the system well (for example if you don't turn on any taps or have any leaks then the pump should not cut in again for hours). I found a grayish deposit building up on these valves after long use.

Have had similar issues with water leaking slightly from housing, fixed by tightening hold down screws, it is poor design. I intend to check pressure in system, higher pressures will make this worse.

Has this happened to anyone before, the pump is under 2 years old. It's a jabsco 2.9

We have a Jabsco Par Max 2.9 and had exactly that problem last summer. We caught it before it got as far as spraying, but it was gently dribbling from the seal on the main body.

We stripped it down, cleaned it, and reassembled with some waterproof grease around the seals. No problems since.

I've had a water pump main body leaking for sometime.has this happened to you?

I didn't realise, till we notice damp at the bottom of the bulkhead.

Empty bottom of wife's wardrobe, found that the jabsco pump was spraying or a fine spray from the main body thick seal join section.

Took it apart, put a smear of sealent on the body really thick spacer thing.and re screwed the three white discs were dirty like a soft scale. Took that bit of and put grease on the spindle cog thingymagig

It's now working, no leaks!.

Has anyone had the main body leak before??

I have to say we removed 5 buckets out the bilge

Getting a small dehumidifier today

Col

Presumably the pump wasn't cycling when it leaked otherwise you'd have heard it?

I've put up with the pump gong of treeeeeeee every 45 mins or so.

I just put up with it lazy! Been going on for a couple of years.

The thought of emptying the wifes bottom of wardrobe, wasn't a job that seemed worth the treeee every 45 mins

As Giant and IDS said there was a greyish mushy on the 3 cream colour mushroom things. Valve been advised

Clean them all off, put a bit a grease on the other side with spindle.

Smear silicon on the outside edges and tighten up the screws.

Working fine

Can't believe took so thing apart and it still works!!!

It is a jabsco 2.9 pump

Works fine, but need to check the screws on the main body.

Pump must vibrate them loose.

I've put up with the pump gong of treeeeeeee every 45 mins or so.

I just put up with it lazy! Been going on for a couple of years.

The thought of emptying the wifes bottom of wardrobe, wasn't a job that seemed worth the treeee every 45 mins

If it was me (and it has been) I'd rather tackle the job as soon as I heard it rather than letting the bilges fill up with water for a couple of years and then do the job! Eventually you had to do it anyway.

At the very least I'd be switching the water pump off until I needed it.

Edited by blackrose