pay as you go moorings ?

rufus2015

Featured Posts

Yes you have to.pay to moor in a marina don't quite understand your point. The land belongs to Worcester Council if you want to moor for free go further up on the pontoon by the lock or else go up the locks

I don't quite see your point - the OP was asking if it was possible for the trust to charge for visitor moorings and several people have pointed out that charging for moorings isn't actually unusual and I was just giving another example. I certainly wasn't complaining.

I don't quite see your point - the OP was asking if it was possible for the trust to charge for visitor moorings and several people have pointed out that charging for moorings isn't actually unusual and I was just giving another example. I certainly wasn't complaining.

I understand the op but my point is that the river Severn land has nothing to do with CRT and the moorings you are talking about are owned by the local council so nothing to do with CRT you are not comparing like 4 like

Shroppie a nightmare for us with 48 hr moorings everywhere then 72 outside tesco. Crazy.

We find that the Shroppie is great for us because the abundance of 48 hour moorings means that we can usually fairly easily find somewhere good to moor up overnight.

We might find in the future that all the best spots in towns, near shops, and popular canal places are sneakily made charged for, that would be a sad day if that happens.

A desirable by-product of charging is that overstaying (if it exists in the first place) will vanish overnight.

In Reading town centre we used to have loads of 'two hour time limit' on-street parking. There was never any space in them as people abused it, stayed for hours on end and rarely got a ticket. Now the spaces are chargeable right from the start, and there is always seems to be free space. I expect the same would happen on VMs where mooring tickets have to be purchased and displayed.

We might find in the future that all the best spots in towns, near shops, and popular canal places are sneakily made charged for, that would be a sad day if that happens.

Why would that be a sad day?

There will always be less desirable places to moor, so encouraging people to moor in those places might help make them more desirable. if crt can collect more money from people who are happy to pay for extra service then perhaps the canal system can survive as a whole rather than being broken up and sold off which is what may happen if crt can not fund itself.

Just a different view :)

At some point more money will be taken and it seems to me that taking money for the more desirable bits from people willing to pay is a way ahead. Possibly

Why would that be a sad day?

There will always be less desirable places to moor, so encouraging people to moor in those places might help make them more desirable. if crt can collect more money from people who are happy to pay for extra service then perhaps the canal system can survive as a whole rather than being broken up and sold off which is what may happen if crt can not fund itself.

Just a different view smile.png

At some point more money will be taken and it seems to me that taking money for the more desirable bits from people willing to pay is a way ahead. Possibly

And you would like all those boaters who haven't got that bit of extra cash should use those less desirable moorings. People with enough money could stay on the paid-for mooring indefinitely. It might be that others have more money than you and can afford to stay indefinitely. In which case, you'll be forced to use the less desirable places. You use the word encourage, when you are actually meaning - forced. It's the kind of speak that is used by the DWP when they withdraw support and 'encourage' people to use food banks.

I prefer that we all start from an equal footing via the boat licence. Widespread pay moorings are not desirable, lack of enforcement should not be the excuse.

Fair enough yes thats a nice ideal but for some reason I think there will have to be an increase in costs to boat users at some point or something bad will happen. Hopefully I have that wrong!

I don't think its very likely that visitor moorings on canals would be very expensive after all there aren't many superyachts about.

Nobody said anything about people mooring indefinitely... These are visitor moorings as in for visitors with time limits and charges.

I think comparing boating (a luxury) to food banks is a bit odd personally.

Fair enough yes thats a nice ideal but for some reason I think there will have to be an increase in costs to boat users at some point or something bad will happen. Hopefully I have that wrong!

I don't think its very likely that visitor moorings on canals would be very expensive after all there aren't many superyachts about.

Nobody said anything about people mooring indefinitely... These are visitor moorings as in for visitors with time limits and charges.

So far, the charges remain as an overstay charge. That is more than enough to get the point across. The main reason behind the idea of pay moorings is to generate more cash for CRT. If that is the reason, it can only lead to more initiatives of the same ilk. Before long you might be asking yourself, what the hell does your licence pay for.

So far, the charges remain as an overstay charge. That is more than enough to get the point across. The main reason behind the idea of pay moorings is to generate more cash for CRT. If that is the reason, it can only lead to more initiatives of the same ilk. Before long you might be asking yourself, what the hell does your licence pay for.

Water in the canal

Locks which work

Etc :)

You've not really answered anything he asked you. I'll ask, are you looking to support a class system in the canals?

Lol

I can see I am being annoying. Apologies !

No I am not looking to support a class system.

Edited by magnetman

Water in the canal

Locks which work

Etc smile.png

You are asking the wrong person to sympathise with that. I live in a marina and pay for a licence that gives me F all. It's not even legal, outside of the NAA. Even as part of the NAA it is only there as an enforcement of marina operation and to give CRT access to do no more than check for licence evasion. If people in the marinas do not have a licence, CRT simply point to the NAA and tell the marina owners, it is stipulated in there as a point of operation. The marina owners' obligation, not the boaters.

So, on top of my licence fee and connection fee charge, CRT can go and spit into the wind. I have no wish to be forced to be more generous to CRT than is already the case.

You are asking the wrong person to sympathise with that. I live in a marina and pay for a licence that gives me F all. It's not even legal, outside of the NAA. Even as part of the NAA it is only there as an enforcement of marina operation and to give CRT access to do no more than check for licence evasion. If people in the marinas do not have a licence, CRT simply point to the NAA and tell the marina owners, it is stipulated in there as a point of operation. The marina owners' obligation, not the boaters.

So, on top of my licence fee and connection fee charge, CRT can go and spit into the wind. I have no wish to be forced to be more generous to CRT than is already the case.

Ok so if you live in a marina and don't need working locks visitor mooring fees would make no difference to you as you would not use them...

This topic is about visitor moorings on line as far as I am aware :)

I think so but most likely collected by people walking round as meters are not really feasible with boats being all different lengths etc

It seems the obvious way things will go and as Jenlyn suggests it may be sooner than some people expect

charge per night not by length.

Its one thing CRT attempting to charge for a tow path mooring but would they win in court if someone wont pay?

Just add it onto licence renewal charge

Ok so if you live in a marina and don't need working locks visitor mooring fees would make no difference to you as you would not use them...

This topic is about visitor moorings on line as far as I am aware smile.png

I pay a licence fee and that gives me all the right I need. Even living in a marina doesn't mean that the situation won't change and what is on the canal will effect me. Although I might like to be detached from time to time from the canal, I don't have a choice and do pay for my two penneth of opinion.

Just add it onto licence renewal charge

I think it has been established in other threads that they cannot do this, or refuse to renew a licence, because of outstanding overstay charges.

Edited by Higgs

I pay a licence fee and that gives me all the right I need. Even living in a marina doesn't mean that the situation won't change and what is on the canal will effect me. Although I might like to be detached from time to time from the canal, I don't have a choice and do pay for my two penneth of opinion.

We are in a similar boat actually :) I am on a residential mooring but its crt run so they get 100% of my payment plus my cruising license which is rarely used anyway lately. Its not a competition about who pays more is it :lol: