A way to remove bitumen from tank safely?

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I have a tank which is currently bitumen coated and I need to remove all the bitumen so I can fill it with diesel.

I was thinking about lining the tank with a pond liner though i'm not sure this will work too well so I am looking to remove the coating.

One way to do it would be pour a litre of petrol into the tank then use a small pump to bring the petrol up and wash down the sides of the tank. A couple of changed of petrol later and it would be spotless. Since petrol dissolves it.

Obviously this is full of danger!

Is there another way? Is there a non flammable solvent that will dissolve bitumen?

My alternative (because I can't reach the bottom of the tank) is an angle grinder on a stick, but that seems just as dodgy!

If not then what liner should I use, will pond liner or damp proof membrane work?

Thanks

Don't know if this will help but on the odd occasion I did a few jobs at my brother in law's plant hire firm.

If diggers were returned with bitumen and tarmac stuck on the buckets and caterpillar tracks / wheels the staff used diesel to loosen it.

Don't know if this will help but on the odd occasion I did a few jobs at my brother in law's plant hire firm.

If diggers were returned with bitumen and tarmac stuck on the buckets and caterpillar tracks / wheels the staff used diesel to loosen it.

Good point, diesel wont be as flammable as petrol and so I have less worries about sloshing it about. Then again if it requires scrubbing I don't fancy my head being stuck inside the tank. Might need to run some tests.

+1 for diesel, especially if you are then filling it with diesel.

Use baby oil to get it off your skin.

Grinder won't work as it will just melt and spread it & clog the disc.

Pob lwc! ;0)

I would vote for diesel too as that is what you are going to fill it with in the end. An alternative may be something like this.

https://www.clickcleaning.co.uk/products/tar-and-glue-remover-5litre-1029?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingfeed&gclid=CIOy4s3N5cYCFXTMtAodbpkHSA

Still flammable as it is a solvent but better than petrol.

Thanks both seem like great ideas to try. One question though. What can I do with all that solvent or diesel full of bitumen. How can it be disposed of?

Do I need to coat the steel or does the diesel protect it due to its oily nature. Or do I paint it?

Thanks!

Its been a quite a few 'mango seasons' since I have had to go into fuel tanks, however I recall they were only prime coat treated (welds were not coated) and in some cases although the ships were quite old, they were all in good condition.

FW (Pot Water) tanks were coated with bituminous black paint (similar / same as hull blacking?), I am guessing this is what you mean by bitumen, rather than tar / asphalt. If so I suspect it would be very difficult to remove (without abrasive grit blasting it off).

I would check with a paint company representative to see if it is necessary to remove (assuming it is bituminous paint) or not. Hopefully you wont have to remove it as it would be a nasty, dirty and possibly very hazardous job to remove the coating and safely dispose of the waste.

As Woodsy says, it may not be tar/asphalt.

I suggest you try diesel on a small patch, rubbing with a diesel soaked rag. If the rag soaks up the black stuff, then it needs to be removed. If the rag stays clean then diesel probably won't bother it and you could leave it in place.

No you don't need to paint the inside of a diesel tank.

Any marina or council recycling depot should have an oily waste tank, just collect the waste in plastic bottles and take to the waste tank.

Edited by Murflynn

Long time ago found out the hard way that spilt engine oil softens bitumen. sad.png

So if it IS bitumen I'd consider painting it with the cheapest engine oil, or even grease or veg oil, wait till it softens then scrape it off.

Diesel will work fine but pong terribly smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete