Beam?

robert anthony

Featured Posts

Reginald, at 7ft wide has cruised the whole of the Stratford, and all the other pinch points usually mentioned EXCEPT, the first lock entering the Llangollen. Couldn't get in. Or back out again without a major struggle!

Hmmm, it's a pity that everyone seems to mention the first lock to get on the llangollen as thats one of our favourite stretches of canal we've done so far. if tolerances are that tight would the temperature make a difference? I don't know how much a hull would expand due to heat on a hot summers day compared to a cold frosty morning but could be worth thinking about?

Hmmm, it's a pity that everyone seems to mention the first lock to get on the llangollen as thats one of our favourite stretches of canal we've done so far. if tolerances are that tight would the temperature make a difference? I don't know how much a hull would expand due to heat on a hot summers day compared to a cold frosty morning but could be worth thinking about?

I doubt it. The coefficient of expansion of steel is the thing to google. I'd estimate the difference in width between a hot day and a freezing day would be about 0.1mm.

Sagitta wouldnt go into Hurleston, less than half way in and she stuck fast. We had BW (at the time) on hand as she was due to go to Pontcysyllte for the bicentenary celebrations and for long term presence on the llangollen, expert opinion was that winching wouldnt help and she had to be encouraged to leave the lock stern first. Hopefully the walls are still moving and they have to rebuild them so all boats can enjoy the canal in gods own country.

I doubt if temperature will be significant for the boat, but some do say the seasons, or at least the state of groudwater, do cause the lock to go in and out a bit. It is right next to a big reservoir. Boat length is also a factor.

Some boats get stuck in the gate, but others are caught by a bulge in the wall towards the bottom gate so a shorter boat can position itself towards the front of the lock to avoid this. A shorter boat will also have a better chance in a twisted lock.

In some cases going up backwards will make it possible. Really have to try it carefully) and see

Is the boat wide along its full length or just locally?

..............Dave

Sagitta wouldnt go into Hurleston, less than half way in and she stuck fast. We had BW (at the time) on hand as she was due to go to Pontcysyllte for the bicentenary celebrations and for long term presence on the llangollen, expert opinion was that winching wouldnt help and she had to be encouraged to leave the lock stern first. Hopefully the walls are still moving and they have to rebuild them so all boats can enjoy the canal in gods own country.

Indeed, all those boats stuck on the Llangollen above Hurleston are missing so much! smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

Exactly. Willow is 7' 3/8", at the widest point (6'11" at the baseplate) and not exactly straight. I'm interested to try Hurleston if we ever get up that way, but I'm not hopeful.

Have to bring the Tirfor for the attempt!

If boat and lock are both banana shaped then you might get in on the way up and be unable to get through on the way down. This could result in a substantial bit of reversing up to the next winding hole and then reversing down again!

N

I doubt if temperature will be significant for the boat, but some do say the seasons, or at least the state of groudwater, do cause the lock to go in and out a bit. It is right next to a big reservoir. Boat length is also a factor.

Some boats get stuck in the gate, but others are caught by a bulge in the wall towards the bottom gate so a shorter boat can position itself towards the front of the lock to avoid this. A shorter boat will also have a better chance in a twisted lock.

In some cases going up backwards will make it possible. Really have to try it carefully) and see

Is the boat wide along its full length or just locally?

..............Dave

I see what you mean about groundwater swelling the sides of the lock after heavy/persistant rain. The boat I'm looking at is supposed to be 7' along its length although I've not checked this to any degree of accuracy so I suppose the best course of action (should I buy it) would be to try it and see. It either fits or not ninja.gif

It would just be a pity not to be able to cruise to Ellesmere or Llangollen though sad.png

I see what you mean about groundwater swelling the sides of the lock after heavy/persistant rain. The boat I'm looking at is supposed to be 7' along its length although I've not checked this to any degree of accuracy so I suppose the best course of action (should I buy it) would be to try it and see. It either fits or not ninja.gif

It would just be a pity not to be able to cruise to Ellesmere or Llangollen though sad.png

As a matter of interest, do you know who built your boat and when? Our boat was built in 1982 and is almost 7ft wide.

Edited by David Schweizer

As a matter of interest, do you know who built your boat and when? Our boat was built in 1982 and is almost 7ft wide.

The way this discussion has gone, I would also like to be reassured that the OP is not looking at an (ex)working boat without being armed with the necessary knowledge to understand the potential pitfalls (and of course the immense pleasure such a boat can give!).

Exactly. Willow is 7' 3/8", at the widest point (6'11" at the baseplate) and not exactly straight. I'm interested to try Hurleston if we ever get up that way, but I'm not hopeful.

Have to bring the Tirfor for the attempt!

Sounds good.

The way this discussion has gone, I would also like to be reassured that the OP is not looking at an (ex)working boat without being armed with the necessary knowledge to understand the potential pitfalls (and of course the immense pleasure such a boat can give!).

No not an ex working boat as that would be way out of my tiny budget (although I do like the look of some of them wink.png )

I've put a deposit on the boat today and I'm looking forward to getting out and about on it as soon as possible. It's an ex BW Morgan Giles GRP cruiser from the late sixties. The current owner had it measured during an out of water survey and it measured 7'2" at its widest point (the rubbing strip along the gunwhales) so removed an inch from each side of the rubbing strip so it should now be 7' at its widest point. I'm going to moor it locally for the next year or so and will head up to the Llangollen at some point to see if it fits into the bottom locks. If so, I'll look at getting a mooring up there for a while. If not, it's not a big deal as there are many other parts of the canal network to explore. biggrin.png