Llangollen Canal

THEBOILERMAN

Featured Posts

Hi all, first time poster on here....... so here we go :)

My OH has just booked a boat for a w/end..... in fact next w/end!!!

So we have a desicion to make, when we come out of Blackwater Meadow Marina to we turn right and head down towards, and go over Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, Llangolon or do we turn left.

The problem for me is that i`ve been over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct a couple of times (day boat trip) but know nothing the canal between the boat yard and there. how busy will it be, how long will take, any good pubs etc.

on the other hand I know even less about the canal if I turn left!!!!

Any opinion/advice apprciated.

Welcome to the forum.

If you turn right it will take about six or seven hours or even longer, to get to Pontcysyllte Aquaduct, depending on any queues at New Marton bottom lock, or slow moving preceding craft. It could well take even longer if there are delays due to the one way working at Chirk aquaduct and Chirk tunnel.

There is also the option of taking in the Montgomery Canal, but that has access restrictions at Frankton locks and is currently only navigable for about four miles due to a stoppage at Aston locks.

If you turn left, its a 5 to 7 hour run down to Grindley Brook locks with the flow, but there are about five lift bridges before Grindley Brook which could add to your time if they are all lowered. There is some beautiful scenery that way as you pass by the 'meres' which are large lakes adjacent to the canal. You can also take in the Prees Branch, about a mile in length, that way

One thing you should be aware of is a noticable 'flow' from Llangollen down to Hurleston Junction which will affect your timings somewhat.

I think you would enjoy either way, but my preference would be turn right!

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

hat's a blank table. Are you hoping they'll fill it in?

Actually to the OP - you could just turn right and right again and stay in the Ellesmere Arm. Probably the best moorings and town within your reach. Whitchurch also very nice but a bit of a trek (there is a bus).

hat's a blank table. Are you hoping they'll fill it in?

Actually to the OP - you could just turn right and right again and stay in the Ellesmere Arm. Probably the best moorings and town within your reach. Whitchurch also very nice but a bit of a trek (there is a bus).

Why not stay in the marina and walk?

Hi,

DEFINITELY turn right.- the stretch from Ellesmere to Llangollen is spectacular but will be busy with other hire boats. Take some time to shop in Ellesmere - great traditional butchers and a great delicatessen called Vermeulens.

If you get time when you get back to Blackwater carry on past the marina for a couple of miles and pass the meres(lakes) before returning to the marina.

I moored on the Llangollen for seven years and moored in Blackwater for two years.

Enjoy your tri

If you moor at the other side of the Chirk tunnel you are about 2 mins away from a train station and Chester is about 30 mins away. Try the White Hart pub in Ellesmere. Traditional Ale pub. No food but have a word with the landlord and you may be able to have a take away in the lounge.

I made my reply tong in cheek, maybe I shouldn't have, but why is everyone trying to dissuade the OP from actually going boating anywhere?

ditchcrawler, i`m too long in the tooth to take any notice of any of the naysayers smile.png (my passion is music festivals and you should see some of the sarcasm on the efestivals forum)

So the choice has been made, the collins map book bought and RIGHT it is smile.png

Thanks for the advice all (well almost all)

Edited by THEBOILERMAN

As i asked the question and had some sensible replys :) i thought i`d let you know how we got on.

Fri, left the boatyard and turned right. had a very pleasant couple of hours cruising and moored up at The Narrowboat Inn for the night, nice pub, good food and beer wer`nt bad either.

Sat, friends joined us in the morning and we pushed on to Llangollen, really really enjoyed the trip, couple of locks, aquaducts and tunnels. not to many queues or delays and the sun shone the whole time. took us about 6 hrs.

Sun, what a contrast in the weather !!!!! rained the whole time :( but still a good day. we left Llangollen about 8am and dropped our friends back off at The Narrowboat Inn about 15;30. Pushed on to Ellesmere and moored up in the arm ready to return the boat Mon morning.

have to do it again some time soon :)

As i asked the question and had some sensible replys smile.png i thought i`d let you know how we got on.

Fri, left the boatyard and turned right. had a very pleasant couple of hours cruising and moored up at The Narrowboat Inn for the night, nice pub, good food and beer wer`nt bad either.

Sat, friends joined us in the morning and we pushed on to Llangollen, really really enjoyed the trip, couple of locks, aquaducts and tunnels. not to many queues or delays and the sun shone the whole time. took us about 6 hrs.

Sun, what a contrast in the weather !!!!! rained the whole time sad.png but still a good day. we left Llangollen about 8am and dropped our friends back off at The Narrowboat Inn about 15;30. Pushed on to Ellesmere and moored up in the arm ready to return the boat Mon morning.

have to do it again some time soon smile.png

Thanks for letting us know, glad you enjoyed it. smile.png

Glad you enjoyed it, and the bad weather didn't spoil your enjoyment too much. It also looks like you missed the worst of the traffic going up there. Since the weekend I have noticed a considerable increase heading that way.

Ken

Does anybody know if the Jack Mytton is open again and if so what is it like

Not yet, according to their website and Facebook it won't be long, "a matter of weeks"

Last time we were up that way ( about 5 years ago) we enjoyed the meal so much that we stopped on the way back again. New owners and a refurb now so no idea what it will be like now.

We will be on the llangollen next week and would have liked to try it out again.

I seem to remember a good farm shop between whitchurch and trevor (near a lock?) is it still open?

Edited by waterdog

We will probably see you up there we are aiming for Llangollen on Thursday on the branch between Middlewich and Barbridge at the moment, then having a little diversion into Nantwich tomorrow for a bit of shopping and a evening out with friends, then up Hurleston first thing Sunday.

I seem to remember a good farm shop between whitchurch and trevor (near a lock?) is it still open?

I don't recall a farm shop near a lock, but there used to be one called The Barn Shop, between Whitchurch and Prees Junction halfway between bridges 43 and 44 (near a couple of lift bridges), but it closed some while ago. It is still marked on the current Heron Llangollen and Monty waterways map though.

There is a guy sort of taken up residence at Quoisley Lock selling a small selection of eggs and vegetables out of a wheelbarrow, but that is east of Whitchurch.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Thank you at present I am spending a lot of time in London and always try and take a homeless person for a meal, far better than giving money

I don't recall a farm shop near a lock, but there used to be one called The Barn Shop, between Whitchurch and Prees Junction halfway between bridges 43 and 44 (near a couple of lift bridges), but it closed some while ago. It is still marked on the current Heron Llangollen and Monty waterways map though.

There is a guy sort of taken up residence at Quoisley Lock selling a small selection of eggs and vegetables out of a wheelbarrow, but that is east of Whitchurch.

Ken

At £1.50 a 1/2 dozen we declined Edited by rasputin

I bet he is a millionaire, selling eggs for more than you can buy them for in the shops with no overheads...

Perhaps.........but he does help you through the lock, come rain or shine. A cheery soul, the likes of which you probably wont find in Tesco. :)

Ken