Hexagrip ply - suitable for exterior use for engine hole cover?

Featured Posts

You don't necessarily need checkerplate do that. I did it with some 20mm aluminium angle stuck on with marineflex.

Yes but it needs sticking on underneath the ply to prevent surface water being held back, then ply edges need sealing. Chequer plate provides one continuous surface with the added bonus of the drip edge not projecting below the ply thickness.

Yes but it needs sticking on underneath the ply to prevent surface water being held back, then ply edges need sealing. Chequer plate provides one continuous surface with the added bonus of the drip edge not projecting below the ply thickness.

I get the feeling black rose is,nt a fan of chequer plate

As we have discussed before, sealing the edges with a good epoxy resin and then offering protection to that finish as Mike has done should be fine. Fair play if you prefer checker plate but it's not for me, like an ice rink when wet.

As we have discussed before, sealing the edges with a good epoxy resin and then offering protection to that finish as Mike has done should be fine. Fair play if you prefer checker plate but it's not for me, like an ice rink when wet.

Now that would be the daddy of all engine boards.

Personally I think the 'daddy' of all engine boards is a 6mm diamond plate steel box affair with a 12v linear actuator to lift it up and down, backed up by a shear pin and a cable winch in case of failure.

Yes I do have a boat with a 5ft x 3ft engine cover made of Hexagrip plywood which being about 6 years old is nackered. I also have a 24 inch travel linear actuator :rolleyes:

No it doesn't - at least mine didn't. The edge of the aluminum angle ends exactly at the bottom of the ply and the edges are sealed with the marineflex used to hold the angle on.

I get the feeling black rose is,nt a fan of chequer plate

That's right.

No it doesn't - at least mine didn't. The edge of the aluminum angle ends exactly at the bottom of the ply and the edges are sealed with the marineflex used to hold the angle on.

I considered that at the time but wanted an even surface to allow all water to run off, it would have entailed routing the board edges to recess the ally angle and I idn't fancy doing that.

I considered that at the time but wanted an even surface to allow all water to run off, it would have entailed routing the board edges to recess the ally angle and I idn't fancy doing that.

I didn't bother with all that, just stuck it straight on and left gaps on the corners for drainage.

20mm x 2mm thick angle is the perfect size for 18mm ply.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzgtMjAwOTExMTctMDkwM.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Just marineflex to secure the angle aluminium part? How long has it lasted and is any of the angle lifting at all. I would have thought the wood and metal would tend to move differently. I know pu type sealants are good but interested to know the longer term situation. Doesn't look like you used any other fastening like screws or anything.

Looks quite a nice solution although I am not that convinced by the need for the aluminium part :)

Edited for mksprint

Edited by magnetman

I didn't bother with all that, just stuck it straight on and left gaps on the corners for drainage.

20mm x 2mm thick angle is the perfect size for 18mm ply.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzgtMjAwOTExMTctMDkwM.jpg

Yes I did consider doing that but it wouldn't have been strong enough for my locking mechanism, only way would have been to bolt angle on with coach bolts, in the end chequer plate was the only practical solution. I can't see why a more grippy pattern than chequer can't be devised, or maybe something is available now?

Just marineflex to secure the angle aluminium part? How long has it lasted and is any of the angle lifting at all. I would have thought the wood and metal would tend to move differently. I know pu type sealants are good but interested to know the longer term situation. Doesn't look like you used any other fastening like screws or anything.

Looks quite a nice solution although I am not that convinced by the need for the aluminium part smile.png

Edited for mksprint

The angle's been on there about 6 years - no separation or lifting. Marineflex is specifically designed to absorb any differential expansion and contraction. I think it's used to seal fibreglass tops to steel hulls.

You're correct that there is no need for the aluminium. It just makes the ply last longer.

Edited by blackrose