New solo boater headed to Solihull from Fazeley

brentles

Featured Posts

Hi there; I've recently become the proud owner of a 62' narrowboat having moved here from Australia last month. So far I've travelled from Barton Turns and am now at Fazeley, and intend on getting into the Solihull area in the next week. I've been speaking to a few of the other boaters moored near me and have been told to be careful in certain parts of Birmingham. In looking at the maps I have the option of the Aston locks or the Garrison locks; and although there are fewer locks the Garrison option (I'm a solo boater so fewer locks appear better) I've heard it can be troublesome that route. I also heard there maybe volunteer lock attendants on some stretches? One other thing; I'm travelling only about 4 hours a day, then cycling back on the towpath to collect my car and driving it to near where the boat is moored. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. So far I've met very friendly and helpful boaters in my limited time living afloat, which has helped tremendously in the transition from Sydney city living to living on a narrowboat!

Hi there; I've recently become the proud owner of a 62' narrowboat having moved here from Australia last month. So far I've travelled from Barton Turns and am now at Fazeley, and intend on getting into the Solihull area in the next week. I've been speaking to a few of the other boaters moored near me and have been told to be careful in certain parts of Birmingham. In looking at the maps I have the option of the Aston locks or the Garrison locks; and although there are fewer locks the Garrison option (I'm a solo boater so fewer locks appear better) I've heard it can be troublesome that route. I also heard there maybe volunteer lock attendants on some stretches? One other thing; I'm travelling only about 4 hours a day, then cycling back on the towpath to collect my car and driving it to near where the boat is moored. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. So far I've met very friendly and helpful boaters in my limited time living afloat, which has helped tremendously in the transition from Sydney city living to living on a narrowboat!

Hello brentles,

it looks like you've made a good choise for a change of scenery, by swapping living in Sydney for the U.K. canals, and I wish you lots of pleasure while cruising around on Pintail.

Cheers, Peter.

Hi Brentles

Scare stories abound on the cut these days. It's possible to experience trouble, true, but not as likely as some of the stories would imply. Last time we did Garrison locks we had no problems at all and saw few folk about, though it was quite early. If you are wary, then an early start is often a good idea whilst the trouble is still in bed. There are visitor moorings at Star City, not far after you've turned left at Salford Bridge. Enjoy your boating, good luck.

Dave

Came up Aston and Farmers locks last week between 5 and 8 PM. Had intended mooring at Star City but kind of mixed up the route...Anyway despite masses or graffiti there was no problems. Saw a few locals and all were friendly enough. Was genuinely impressed with Birmingham.

Ian.

Thanks very much Peter, Dave & Ian; I'm leaving Fazeley today and plan to make Curdworth top lock by the end of the day; I heard there's a pub just past the top lock that is good for mooring. Anyone know if there are volunteer lock attendants on any of the flights? Cruising in this weather is gorgeous; though have to keep my hat on to avoid the solar powered sex panel from burning ;)

Note that there isn't anywhere to moor between Birmingham city centre and Catharine de Barnes on the GU if you're head that way; its all concrete.

You don't fancy the top of the Camp Hill locks then? We have moored there several times

Offhand, I can't remember where the other places with rings are, I'm sure there are some

Richard

Not sure, if you have a nicholsons guide check the page with Catherine de barnes on it (the lack of mooring spots is only mentioned as if you are traveling north which is why we got caught out heading south) it lists the exact locations of the last ones for a while (CDB) and the next ones (Which I cant be entirely sure of, it was many moons ago)

Not sure, if you have a nicholsons guide check the page with Catherine de barnes on it (the lack of mooring spots is only mentioned as if you are traveling north which is why we got caught out heading south) it lists the exact locations of the last ones for a while (CDB) and the next ones (Which I cant be entirely sure of, it was many moons ago)

It's a bit academic really, Star City to CdeB is an easy day. Bordesley to CdeB even more so

Richard

Note that there isn't anywhere to moor between Birmingham city centre and Catharine de Barnes on the GU if you're head that way; its all concrete.

A while back we tied up for the night near the bridge by Oulton railway station.

Don't think there were rings but can't remember if we used chains or pins. I can't recall armco so it must have been pins.

ETA As Sir Jasper has pointed out the top of Camp Hill is a good place to stop overnight. I can recommend the disused loading bay under the canopy (its got rings!) provided you can cope with goose poo and don't want to go anywhere off the bank.

Edited by Victor Vectis

Thanks very much Peter, Dave & Ian; I'm leaving Fazeley today and plan to make Curdworth top lock by the end of the day; I heard there's a pub just past the top lock that is good for mooring. Anyone know if there are volunteer lock attendants on any of the flights? Cruising in this weather is gorgeous; though have to keep my hat on to avoid the solar powered sex panel from burning wink.png

If it's not too late (you may already be moored up for the night), there are good moorings just after Curdworth tunnel (in the cutting). The White Horse is a short walk up the steps and over the road. That's where I always stop for the night before an early start and a heavy days boating through Brum the next day, gets you through the dodgy area around Castle Vale in the morning.

Thanks all; I did moor by the White Horse as Kendal suggested, and was lucky that my cousin came down for the day after and helped me power through the Brum locks. Had no trouble, but not sure how I would have single-handedly got through the first Camp Hill lock (I think it's the first; a sharp left turn and straight into the lock, with a set of brick stairs on the right and nowhere to tie too while operating the lock. Anyway; enjoyable day, seeing all the industrial heritage ~ it seems about 90% of the old factories and warehouses are derelict; all the manufacturing gone overseas in the last hundred years?

I'm now moored at Catherine de Barnes and had a good meal and a pint at The Boat last night.

Thanks all; I did moor by the White Horse as Kendal suggested, and was lucky that my cousin came down for the day after and helped me power through the Brum locks. Had no trouble, but not sure how I would have single-handedly got through the first Camp Hill lock (I think it's the first; a sharp left turn and straight into the lock, with a set of brick stairs on the right and nowhere to tie too while operating the lock. Anyway; enjoyable day, seeing all the industrial heritage ~ it seems about 90% of the old factories and warehouses are derelict; all the manufacturing gone overseas in the last hundred years?

I'm now moored at Catherine de Barnes and had a good meal and a pint at The Boat last night.

Another time, turn right at the bottom of Camp Hill and continue in the city centre. Then you can head towards Kings Norton and access Solihull by turning left at Kingswood junction. A lovely route.

Another time, turn right at the bottom of Camp Hill and continue in the city centre. Then you can head towards Kings Norton and access Solihull by turning left at Kingswood junction. A lovely route.

A lot more locks that way though. The OP does not say where in Solihull, but at worst it would be Camp Hill and Knowle going the GU route, although that GU summit is a rather depressing and gloomy route.

Yes, fewer locks by the GU route. However many on that route are wide locks rarely used & relatively hard work. Down the Stratford way the locks are all easy singles. Aston & Farmers Bridge locks are pussy cats too. Plus the scenery is great much of the way, either interesting city or lovely rural.

We've done both often but much prefer the Stratford way.

Yes, fewer locks by the GU route. However many on that route are wide locks rarely used & relatively hard work. Down the Stratford way the locks are all easy singles. Aston & Farmers Bridge locks are pussy cats too. Plus the scenery is great much of the way, either interesting city or lovely rural.

We've done both often but much prefer the Stratford way.

Not really. I depends where in Solihull the OP was going, if before Knowle then no wide locks on the GU as Knowle are the fist of the widened ones, if after Knowle the there are the 5 wide locks at Knowle, but you are still talking close on 27 (I think, not checked) locks fewer the GU route than via Lapworth to below Knowle. The OP would not do Aston going the GU route though.

Personally I prefer the Stratford route, not least as it comes past our house, but it is more locks than cutting out the centre of Birmingham.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your input; I spent 4 nights at Catherine de Barnes; really liked the village and it was very close to Solihull, where I got shopping and 'city' stuff done. I then moored at Knowle locks for a night and shared the locks the next day with another solo boater. Spent the next night ide the Heron's Nest pub, followed by a night near The Navigation at Kingswood Junction and a night at the top of Hatton locks. I was lucky enough to bump into a volunteer lock operator at Hatton who stayed with me all through the locks. Tonight I'm at Sydenham (just after Leamington Spa) and will be spending the next few days cruising towards Fenny Compton. My ultimate destination is Bishops Stortford; my kids live in Sweden so I want to be close to Stansted Airport. I might be mad but I'm hoping to enter the Thames from Oxford and get off at Lime Basin.

Thank you everyone for your input; I spent 4 nights at Catherine de Barnes; really liked the village and it was very close to Solihull, where I got shopping and 'city' stuff done. I then moored at Knowle locks for a night and shared the locks the next day with another solo boater. Spent the next night ide the Heron's Nest pub, followed by a night near The Navigation at Kingswood Junction and a night at the top of Hatton locks. I was lucky enough to bump into a volunteer lock operator at Hatton who stayed with me all through the locks. Tonight I'm at Sydenham (just after Leamington Spa) and will be spending the next few days cruising towards Fenny Compton. My ultimate destination is Bishops Stortford; my kids live in Sweden so I want to be close to Stansted Airport. I might be mad but I'm hoping to enter the Thames from Oxford and get off at Lime Basin.

Unless you want to go to the bother of getting a VHF set and licence you should plan at coming off the Thames at Brentford. In any event, the Brentford to Limehouse stretch needs quite a bit of organising (especially at the moment with additionalrestrictions of the Limehouse lock times) and is not always for the beginner or nervous boater! As another thread has suggested, if you have the chance, better to time the trip to avoid the peak of the Clipper traffic and check the freeboard of your exhausts.

It is often reckoned that it is better to do your first transit of theis section going upstream as it is a little easier and timing of arrival is less critical.

Coming off at Brentford is not a bad alternative and will only add a couple of days - seems that you are not in a hurry in any case.

Always worth checking with the lock keepers for advice on timing etc.

Meant to answer after your last post but threads disappear so quickly to earlier pages. Was bit horrified by your suggestion of Thames to Limehouse. Yes would be lovely to have picture under tower bridge but you would probably be too busy keeping out of the way of other boats. I would suggest going in at Brentford and taking the tube in to look at the river traffic before you commit. As others have said you need vhf but have a feeling you might be allowed to go with another boat. The lockie might know of someone going. The turn in at Limehouse looks very scary - we watched a boat going sideways by the lock, didn't think he'd make it in.

However Hanwell flight (out of brentford) has been closed. Anyone know if it's reopened? Probably has. Think there's problems with low water in london generally at moment.

As a further aside I was interested to see you referred to the ,'heron 's nest'. Pleased if it is still called that. We boated by recently and noticed it said, 'King's arms', on the side of it. Seemed a huge shame to change to a boring name.

As a further aside I was interested to see you referred to the ,'heron 's nest'. Pleased if it is still called that. We boated by recently and noticed it said, 'King's arms', on the side of it. Seemed a huge shame to change to a boring name.

The bridge alongside is Kings Arms Bridge, so presumably it was pub of that name originally. But when I lived in the area in the 70s it was a cafe called The Cat in the Window. It subsequently became an Italian restaurant called the Canaletto, complete with gondola poles in the canal. Later it was substantially extended and reopened as the Herons Nest pub. It now seems to be the Kings Arms again.

http://www.thekingsarmsknowle.co.uk

The bridge alongside is Kings Arms Bridge, so presumably it was pub of that name originally. But when I lived in the area in the 70s it was a cafe called The Cat in the Window. It subsequently became an Italian restaurant called the Canaletto, complete with gondola poles in the canal. Later it was substantially extended and reopened as the Herons Nest pub. It now seems to be the Kings Arms again. http://www.thekingsarmsknowle.co.uk

Thanks for that comprehensive answer.