Boats Traveling At Night

Mike J.E.W

Featured Posts

same here I love a engine that chugs..mine doesn't..i did wonder if i could tape a lovely engine then pretend but decided that was sad.

There are car engine sounds available here: https://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/carsoundfx.shtml

Perhaps there is a market for Nationals, Bolinders etc., one could play from a hidden speaker on the boat? captain.gif

Patty, one to be going on with:

Edited by Ray T

I'll take a bullet for the shiney boat team. I don't like the noise of those great big numb lumps! I don't like any of the current engines either! Its a pity there isn't a big demand for small, smooth, economical, quiet engines, rather than the rattling things that are commonly available!

No need to apologise Jay, just because some Nimby got his knickers in a twist when a bolinder boat went past at night. I am sure he managed to get back to sleep quite quickly, if he was indeed awoken in the first place. The canal is a highway that is open day and night and I don't hear him complaining about people driving cars and lorries at night.

I'll take a bullet for the shiney boat team. I don't like the noise of those great big numb lumps! I don't like any of the current engines either! Its a pity there isn't a big demand for small, smooth, economical, quiet engines, rather than the rattling things that are commonly available!

You sir, require an electric motor.

There, I done it, first proper blasphemous post on CWDF.

My sincere apologies :cheers:

• Greenie 1

Ignoring Steve above(sorry Steve) thank you Ray thats lovely but I do prefer Listers..now not being connoisseur on particular engine types couldn't tell you difference between various Listers

I am hoping to wander down towpath trail tomorrow with molly to Braunston so will get my fix no doubt then.

On a oiler there are several ways of slowing down, adjust the speed wheel, and the rhythm changes, or yank the oil rod out there is a change in the tone of the engine, if you know what to listen for are just two to mention. Over the years I have discovered that less people are disturbed if you just yank the oil rod out as its the change of the beat which wakes people up. If you don't run an oiler you probably would not notice the difference as its still a steady beat, so those that are awake come out moaning!

The other observation I've made over the years is that if your towing on cross straps you can race past most moored boats and they don't move due to the 70ft behind the prop levelling out the water, however most people expect you to slow down so the art is if, mob handed drop the speed wheel so they hear the change of rhythm but lift the bracket and keep going at the same speed ;-)

As to night boating its the best time of day as most of the idiots have gone to bed ;-)

On a oiler there are several ways of slowing down, adjust the speed wheel, and the rhythm changes, or yank the oil rod out there is a change in the tone of the engine, if you know what to listen for are just two to mention. Over the years I have discovered that less people are disturbed if you just yank the oil rod out as its the change of the beat which wakes people up. If you don't run an oiler you probably would not notice the difference as its still a steady beat, so those that are awake come out moaning!

The other observation I've made over the years is that if your towing on cross straps you can race past most moored boats and they don't move due to the 70ft behind the prop levelling out the water, however most people expect you to slow down so the art is if, mob handed drop the speed wheel so they hear the change of rhythm but lift the bracket and keep going at the same speed ;-)

As to night boating its the best time of day as most of the idiots have gone to bed ;-)

That works on them newer bolinders but mines got old govener and gearbox :-p

What a good idea! Ticks every box - now to figure out how to get enough electricery to run it, and the rest of the boat!

That's easy, now the electrification of the Midland mainline has been canned we could put the boys to good use rigging a catenary the length of the cut.

No more moaning about noisy diesels at night :)

I think you are missing the point. most of us here like old engines, most of us hear like looking at moored old boat. very similar to Motorbike club members like the sound bike engines make, but there is another group of people who live near canals who don't like seeing boats moored there or listening to the noise of old engines and that group can be very vocal. It only took one person to get the moorings closed at Ansty because she didn't like boats moored opposite her house and that was the other side of the road. We may not like it but those people are out there and they do make their selves heard.

The canal is a highway that is open day and night and I don't hear him complaining about people driving cars and lorries at night.

Bad analogy - if the cars and lorries don't have silencers they get stopped by the police, prosecuted and sent daarn.

It is just about being less "I know my rights so xxxx off" and more about showing consideration to your fellow human beings. I quite like the sound of Bolly -err, I mean a bollinder, but in the dead of night it surely wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to fit a silencing stack?

I think you are missing the point. most of us here like old engines, most of us hear like looking at moored old boat. very similar to Motorbike club members like the sound bike engines make, but there is another group of people who live near canals who don't like seeing boats moored there or listening to the noise of old engines and that group can be very vocal. It only took one person to get the moorings closed at Ansty because she didn't like boats moored opposite her house and that was the other side of the road. We may not like it but those people are out there and they do make their selves heard.

I'm not missing the point at - you like old engines and I don't! The world would be very boring if we all liked the same things!

and - cruising at night - I love it.

Yes you are quite right, the one idiot I was referring to is the one who seizes on one noisy boat going by to start an action group, then the authorities over react as happened at Ansty.

Just recap I don't mind what time people go past our house and mooring, I enjoy watching boats go by especially historic ones. I dont care if you slow down or not as my boat is moored properly.

BUT

I think that operating a very noisy boat late at night is asking for trouble from those less sympathetic to boating. And there are already rumblings from boaters about banning boat movents after 6pm and before 8am. So don't give them ammunition, boat through the night if you want to but do it with some consideration. Fit a silencer take it off for the rally if you must.

I will be at the Braunston boat rally and will bring ear defenders

• Greenie 1

Yes, it was me. But not one the boat im known for. I am sorry for all disturbances, and im well aware i was in te wrong to do so. I struggled to start the engine (1.5 hours of it) and was scared to put out. No excuse I know, so im sorry. But I DID slow do to below tick over for that engine and watch very carefully to the disturbance of other boats, if any had of shown signs of moving Id have pulled it iut of gear.

Was it you and your family we passed on the Lapworth flight a while back?

Good luck to you all.

If anyone has a problem with you passing after dark tell 'em to pizz orf and get life.

(Or roll over and go back to sleep)

If it was you can I add how impressed I was with your kids. They were around the locks doing exactly the correct thing at the right time.

Which is a LOT more than can be said for some of the adult boaters we have come across in our travels.

SAM, Ryde, IoW.

NB 'Red Wharf'

Many a time we were woken by the big commercial boats moving during darkness making for or arriving after the correct state of tide at Goole.

Never bothered us.....

It only took one person to get the moorings closed at Ansty because she didn't like boats moored opposite her house and that was the other side of the road. We may not like it but those people are out there and they do make their selves heard.

Then we need to fight back and tell these onanists where to get off.

Don't roll over and give in to the bastards!

Bad analogy - if the cars and lorries don't have silencers they get stopped by the police, prosecuted and sent daarn.

It is just about being less "I know my rights so xxxx off" and more about showing consideration to your fellow human beings. I quite like the sound of Bolly -err, I mean a bollinder, but in the dead of night it surely wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to fit a silencing stack?

Bolinders do have a silencer/expansion box. I have no idea why you raised the issue of road vehicles not having a silencer.

As for "knowing rights so xxxx off" that wasn't what I meant. However, I do not see why this individual got so wound up about one boat passing at night - to him I say, so what mate, get a life!

However, I do not see why this individual got so wound up about one boat passing at night - to him I say, so what mate, get a life!

I think if you read carefully what he said, it wasn't that he personally was offended or annoyed about the noise, but rather it was about possible adverse reaction from joe public living (sleeping) within earshot of said boat because it adds grist to their mills for putting an end to "those pesky scruffy boaters who just make lots of noise, smoke and mess, whilst not paying their council tax" etc etc . And the upshot of that could be more "no mooring" signs in residential areas, which would be bad news for us all.

Plenty of night cruising in Brighton, the shirtlifting capital of the UK.

You sound envious.

Ed: changed jealous to envious, catweasel's ticking off from last year still ringing in my ears!

Edited by nicknorman

You sir, require an electric motor.

There, I done it, first proper blasphemous post on CWDF.

My sincere apologies cheers.gif

Funny enough; the night before last we were moored up in front of a WB that had the equivalent of a mini "solar farm" on their roof. Dave being quite interested in different solar set ups and what they produce/provide when back to have a chat with the guy. Turned out he had 19 panels which equated to 4,000+ Watts, when Dave queried as to what he was powering to need that much, the guy explained he had an electric engine in the WB as well as all the other power hungry "luxuries" that some of us WB live aboards like to have.

As for night time boating, we don't do it ourselves (poor eyesight & I'm chicken), but it doesn't bother us at all when boats pass after dark. I'd quite enjoy giving it a try, just as a passenger though, Not with either of us at the control.

As for the sound of the old engines - Love the sound they make when they go past us. But don't think I'd like it as much if I had to listen to it all day whilst on the tiller