Boat Names

Ginaa_x

Featured Posts

Hey :)

I am so far away from getting my own narrow boat, it hurts, but ever since getting an interest in NBs and canals, I've wondered about boat names.

Now, I understand its considered unlucky to change the name of a boat unless you take it out of water (unless that's complete codswallop of course), but apart from that, I don't know anything about the history or tradition of it.

Anyone like to share any knowledge?

Changed the name of our first boat without any special incantations and whilst it was in the water.

When we had a breakdown (burst hose) I said to my wife we should not have changed the name. She pointed out that we had had up until then 8 years of trouble free boating biggrin.png

Just do it and don't worry, love your boat and it will love you back.

I fully plan to change the name of our boat at some point, I'm really not a fan of it!

Good plan: I don't think there is yet a boat called "Des Res" although I could be mistaken!

Hey smile.png

I am so far away from getting my own narrow boat, it hurts, but ever since getting an interest in NBs and canals, I've wondered about boat names.

Now, I understand its considered unlucky to change the name of a boat unless you take it out of water (unless that's complete codswallop of course), but apart from that, I don't know anything about the history or tradition of it.

Anyone like to share any knowledge?

Paint out the old name and paint on the new one. Don`t waste good boating time being concerned about superstitious rubbish.

But be warned before you leave home to paint the name,

do not open your umbrella in the house

do not put new shoes on the table

please don`t walk under a ladder on the way to boat.

There's a number of theories as to why/how this superstition originated. No-one knows for certain but sailors are notoriously a superstitious bunch and will blame anything to hand for bad fortune. Doubtless many centuries ago a boat came to grief and many drowned immediately following a name change and henceforth it was regarded as bad luck.

More importantly, there are scores of boats on the inland waterways that should have their names changed, by law. I cite the number of "Wet Dreams" registered with CRT. The owner of "Pysorph" probably thinks he is distantly related to Oscar Wilde and believe it or not I saw a boat recently with the subtle-as-a-flying-mallett "Sloak Hunt" emblazoned on the side. Honestly.

The owner of "Pysorph" probably thinks he is distantly related to Oscar Wilde and believe it or not I saw a boat recently with the subtle-as-a-flying-mallett "Sloak Hunt" emblazoned on the side. Honestly.

Quick, quick, quick, I've just searched the boat register and noticed that nobody has yet named a boat "Norfolk Enchants". smile.png

When I was doing the Four Counties ring this past June, the worst boat name I came across was Dainty Thrush. I've always like human names for inanimate things. My phone is called Edward and my computer is called Travis, so if I got a boat right this second, I'd probably call it Albert. Don't ask why.

I'd also change the name in the water, as I'm not superstitious and by the looks of it, I wouldn't be burnt on the stake.

My mum teaches decorative painting and can do the old style, traditional roses really well, so I might even be able to get her to do it for free (apart from a few rounds down the local of course).

Anyway, a girl can dream!

There's nothing wrong with changing a boat's name, I would do the same if I bought a boat which had a naff name. My own boat is called Desiree, and while it is probably not the name I would give a boat which I had commissioned myself, she is named after the wife of the original owner, the very well known boat fitter-outer Malcolm Rhodes who did the beautiful fit-out himself and owned the boat for its first twenty years of life. Because of this I feel that the name is part of the history of the boat and wouldn't change it.