Generator Died?

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Hi,

I started up our 1kw Yamaha generator the other day and it all started up fine. I hadn't run it for a few days.

Petrol was full,

It started up fine but after a few seconds it started 'trying' harder. It was as ive I had plugged in an electric drill and was slowly increasing the speed. The generator was humming louder (and higher).

Then it stopped. (just as I realised the sterling charger was off - so was not receiving any power)

I tried restarting it. The pull cord was very stiff. I thought maybe it had run out of oil (though the warning light had not been on) so I checked the oil which was fine. I changed the oil anyway.

Still stiff. So I took out the spark plug to see if it was a compression issue or piston issue and it is still stiff to turn. That leads me to think it is either an issue with the alternator on the drive shaft which could be stiff for some reason or the pistons have seized.

But I can't think of a reason for anything to have gone wrong.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

Thanks!

Just a guess based on your observations. The alternator stator had some sort of short which caused it to go into meltdown, in turn mechanically jamming the rotor to some degree. This would explain the apparent high load when there wasn't one, although smell of burning insulation would have likely followed.

pull the alternator off and see if the engine on it's own is still hard to turn with the plug out.

if it's still tight then your engine is most likely shot but you have a good alternator that could be dropped onto a replacement engine or back onto your original engine after a repair

if it's loose then you probably need a new alternator.

given that it's a known make spares should be available, but I wouldn't like to guess at costs

Right I think I know the cause.

Having spent a good few frustrating hours trying to get the thing apart I discovered that if I unplug the coil for the generator it becomes much easier to turn over. Having spoken to a honda expert (not yamaha but similar principle) he thinks it is either the windings or the inverter that has gone.

And based on the fact it improves when unplugged he thinks the inverter. Which costs about £500 for the part.

Looks like its dead. So next question is what can I do with it. Anything useful or salvageable or is it worth anything as scrap?

Thanks

Doodle