What would you want your CRT governing council reps to stand for?

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Well as the only ones elected are the boaters reps, the CRT staff rep and the Canal Trade rep do not expect to much change. As for other members with interests in boating would you care to name the others that are boat owners? I know just 2 but then you might be able to tell me the others I have missed.

I don't know, but since when was it necessary to own a boat to have an interest in boating? In the past year I have been on at least ten boats and I don't currently own one. The CRT staff rep is retiring, I understand.

I don't know, but since when was it necessary to own a boat to have an interest in boating? In the past year I have been on at least ten boats and I don't currently own one. The CRT staff rep is retiring, I understand.

Ok fine the council will continue to ensure boaters interests are at the forefront of all the Council meetings it must just have been missed from the minutes

My kids have an interest in boating their Dad owns one, nothing would actually get them to take an interest in canals

Could you tell me the ones with an interest in boating

Given that the meetings are only 6 months the opportunity for influencing any operational issues is severely limited.

At the last meeting in March this year a proposal for greater boater representation was rejected. Have a look at the minutes of the last every meeting in March to get a flavour, maybe a hint of death by PowerPoint. No sign of any robust discussions on future strategy.

Edited by Tuscan

As an aside, one thing I note is the following......

Voting will start on 13 November and close on 11 December, with results being announced on 14 December.

One thing that was actively discussed in the feedback on the process last time around is that holding the elections mid winter, when much of the system is closed for long term stoppages makes it very hard for even the most dedicated "independent" candidate to actually get out there and try and sell themselves to their potential electorate. There are very few boats moving, and, apart from liveaboards, most are more or less permanently laid up at these times, so even if you get yourself out actively campaigning on the tow-path, or putting up notices, you are unlikely to collect the numbers of supporters you need to be in with a chance.

I reckon if I were standing, if the elections were held in what many call "the main boating season", (and yes, I know many hate that term!), I could find myself far more additional supporters than I could with the proposed timings this time around.

In which case any candidate serious about getting elected needs to have NBW onside and batting for them.

That's me definitely done for then!

I'll not give them the pleasure of providing a link, but the following is cut and pasted....

Sour grapes?

Friday, 13 July 2012 11:05

Having been steered in the direction of the Canal Discussion Forum, writes Pam Pickett, I was a little surprised to find this post by one Alan Fincher, and I quote:

‘Does this also make 'Victor' right for his role, because clearly his site produces the kind of stuff that most of his readership seem to lap up and endorse. Factual accuracy unimportant, as long as it is entertaining?'

Free platform

Isn't this then the same Alan Fincher who was given a free electoral platform by narrowboatworld that then allowed him to place his case for election to the CART council before a rather larger number of people than would otherwise have been possible?

Alan has it appears had his say, now I'll have mine. As one who writes for narrowboatworld I take great exception to any suggestion that narrowboatworld deals in entertainment rather than in accuracy, particularly so when that accusation comes from a site that can hardly claim not to host more than its fair share of‘'twaddle'!

Bizarrely Pam Pickett, who wrote this article, has since sent me a Facebook "friend" request. You couldn't make it up, could you? (Oh, hang on, they do all the time).

But to balance that out many would view with a critical eye anyone that appeared to be endorsed by CWF

CWF doesn't, indeed can't, endorse anyone. Many people view it in slightly different ways but CWF is effectively a community of disparate people who's only common aspect is that they've signed up to a forum. Once one starts saying they all have an interest in canals, or boating, or a particular boating organisation or representative then its an interpretation which IMHO is simply that, not a given. It might be that long-standing members, or vocal members, or a poll is conducted to show a majority of members, are seen supporting someone but so what? And it might be that for example moderators or the site owner supports one or other - but on CWF mods and tech crew/admin are allowed to speak their own mind and hold their own opinions. It might be that they sometimes post on behalf of the site (for example technical info announcements, or intervention in heated discussions to try pacify situations etc) but this is made clear at the time, or is obvious from its context.

CWF doesn't, indeed can't, endorse anyone. Many people view it in slightly different ways but CWF is effectively a community of disparate people who's only common aspect is that they've signed up to a forum. Once one starts saying they all have an interest in canals, or boating, or a particular boating organisation or representative then its an interpretation which IMHO is simply that, not a given. It might be that long-standing members, or vocal members, or a poll is conducted to show a majority of members, are seen supporting someone but so what? And it might be that for example moderators or the site owner supports one or other - but on CWF mods and tech crew/admin are allowed to speak their own mind and hold their own opinions. It might be that they sometimes post on behalf of the site (for example technical info announcements, or intervention in heated discussions to try pacify situations etc) but this is made clear at the time, or is obvious from its context.

Can you explain what "appeared to be endorsed" means as it appears I have not understood myself

I don't think anyone could truly claim to be endorsed by CWDF, as it is a forum of individuals, not a blogging platform for one bloke and his like-minded mates.

"Appeared to be endorsed" is that not different to "endorsed" Edited by cotswoldsman

I reckon given the timing and fact you can only vote online, the best chances will lie with the boater candidate that can find an online platform and convince the CWDF/Facebook and similar boater groups that they're the one to back.

Can you explain what "appeared to be endorsed" means as it appears I have not understood myself

"Appeared to be endorsed" is that not different to "endorsed"

I've quoted post #35 in addition to yours. I'm not sure if I even need to answer your posts, you seem to have taken your own interpretation and jumped from "find an online platform and convince" translating it to "appear to be endorsed". If a person doesn't have the ability to endorse something, it doesn't matter how well convinced they are on that something, they can't endorse it.

Having browsed those links..

Boaters and those interested in boating make up the vast majority of posts here on CWF. Even papers like Towpath are dominated by boating stories and adverts.

So why are there so few places for boaters on the CRT council? Surely the makeup of the council is biased against boating. Boaters provide a very large percentage of CRT's income and that should be reflected by the constitution of the council. It's time boaters are regarded as CRT's key customer instead of a nuisance.

I've quoted post #35 in addition to yours. I'm not sure if I even need to answer your posts, you seem to have taken your own interpretation and jumped from "find an online platform and convince" translating it to "appear to be endorsed". If a person doesn't have the ability to endorse something, it doesn't matter how well convinced they are on that something, they can't endorse it.

Think you need to re read your own post where you stated CWF can not endorse anyone. I never said they could or would I simply said "appear to endorse"

Edited by cotswoldsman

I could say I am a unicorn.

Paul C could endorse me as a unicorn.

I would still not really be a unicorn. sad.png

People would probably realise this.

If they didn't, then they probably shouldn't be boating with unicorns at all.

The only way you could become a unicorn is if ERS ran an election on behalf of boaters, officially voted you to the position of "unicorn" and you accepted the position.

I could say I am a unicorn.

Paul C could endorse me as a unicorn.

I would still not really be a unicorn. :(

People would probably realise this.

If they didn't, then they probably shouldn't be boating with unicorns at all.

That is over my head I am afraid. I am just a simple boater that reads this forum and posts on it. I also read and have contributed to NBW