What would you want your CRT governing council reps to stand for?

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

As has been announced in the recent press release (forum post here), CRT are soon to be holding their elections for the next four boater's reps on the governing council.

So my question is, what would you want your reps to say, do or prioritise, should they gain a seat?

What would win your vote, or what policies would you support?

Go!

Edited by Starcoaster

A boater who would communicate with the general run-of-the-mill boaters and tell us what's going on and what the issues are at the 'top table'. I know not what the current ones do or what they have done for me other than attend meetings (I assume).

Inform boaters of agendas and outcome of meetings.

Rationalise mooring times and number of moorings to being more realistic for visiting local areas.

Penalise/sort out those who continually abuse the guidelines.

Control what BSS is about i.e. matters relevant to risk of death not silly things.

Make CRT area managers walk their canals with their eyes open.

Inform boaters of agendas and outcome of meetings.

Rationalise mooring times and number of moorings to being more realistic for visiting local areas.

Penalise/sort out those who continually abuse the guidelines.

Control what BSS is about i.e. matters relevant to risk of death not silly things.

Make CRT area managers walk their canals with their eyes open.

Please do not get confused Council has no influence over decisions made by CRT on the running of the system and any influence they might have would have to have the backing of the other 40 odd Council members who have no interest in boating Edited by cotswoldsman

Please do not get confused Council has no influence over decisions made by CRT on the running of the system and any influence they might have would have to have the backing of the other 40 odd Council members who have no interest in boating

?

As LeoNo2 says. I'd like at a minimum some proper feedback telling boaters what is going on in the minds of CRT.

At the moment ever since the last elections all I've perceived is radio silence. Our current reps may as well not exist for all the feedback coming from them.

Or maybe I'm tuning to the wrong frequencies...

MtB

?

Well given there are four boaters reps, the other 40 are there for something else, surely?

Mr Jenlyn, could you expand a little on why you say this, please? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would appreciate it.

Thank you in anticipation.

MtB

(Edit to remove baity post.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Reported. Off topic and baiting.

Well the post to which I was replying was baiting board members as well. You rather archly state the positions are not what we think then fail to explain any further. A content-free, baiting post really.

Id want to see a more cohesive attempt and bringing the multitude of boating groups together without it ending up like an episode of Game of Thrones.

Seconded.....

Well the post to which I was replying was baiting board members as well. You rather archly state the positions are not what we think then fail to explain any further. A content-free, baiting post really.

You could just ask Jenlyn why he thinks people are mistaken about the positions. I'm sure he'll answer if asked nicely.

Unless you would like pages and pages in one post it would be difficult to post the minutes from the 8 meetings and the powers of the Council

I think the suggestion is if people are interested they should research exactly what the Council does and it's powers

You could just ask Jenlyn why he thinks people are mistaken about the positions. I'm sure he'll answer if asked nicely.

Good point, I was just thinking that myself! I'll amend my post and we'll see what happens.

MtB

I think that would take a lot of time. It is all.in the public domain if people have the time to read it all.

Good point, I was just thinking that myself! I'll amend my post and we'll see what happens.

MtB

Why not just use the search facility on CRT Web site as suggested why expect others to do it all for you

I was merely questioning what you said. We don't know what the elections will bring but some of the existing Council members do have an interest in boating.

Well as the only ones elected are the boaters reps, the CRT staff rep and the Canal Trade rep do not expect to much change. As for other members with interests in boating would you care to name the others that are boat owners? I know just 2 but then you might be able to tell me the others I have missed.

Edited by cotswoldsman

One of the problems first time around was that candidates had to effectively put forward in 150 words what made them the most suitable person for the role, but in fact precious little was published that made it clear exactly what BW/CRT expected it to be.

Attempts to get more information largely foundered, largely because I suspect nobody really had made their mind up, even by the time we were being voted for.

Only subsequently when "the four" were in post were we told that the assumptions many had made about the role were not what it was now perceived to be, and although dubbed "boater representatives", it was not about actively seeking the views of individual boaters, (those are my words, but that's how I remember it).

So far this time I have not yet looked to see if there is a better written description of what CRT perceive the role to be. It certainly is still not adequately covered in the announcement that started this thread. So, to maybe save some searching, is there a good "job description" anywhere, and if so, could somebody please link to it.

I think that would take a lot of time. It is all.in the public domain if people have the time to read it all.

Why not just use the search facility on CRT Web site as suggested why expect others to do it all for you

Has anyone got a link which actually works? The one from the original thread just comes up blank.

I'm not sure how many of us qualify unless we are a boater who runs a business, represents CRT staff or 'donates on a regular basis' (does buying a boat licence count?). Doesn't sound like they are interested in a contribution from recreational boaters.

Well as the only ones elected are the boaters reps, the CRT staff rep and the Canal Trade rep do not expect to much change. As for other members with interests in boating would you care to name the others that are boat owners? I know just 2 but then you might be able to tell me the others I have missed.

One change next time seems to be there will be an elected post for a volunteer, and another for regular CRT donor. I suppose there is a reasonable possibility that either of these could own a boat, or at least go boating, but of course it is far from a certainty.

Even so, it is certainly true that boat owners and boaters make up only a very small part of Council.