Hesford Marine - DIY Blacking Allowed?

Featured Posts

I've booked with Hesford Marine, (Bridgewater Canal, Cheshire), to come out of the water on Monday, so I can prepare and black the bottom, and carry out a few other bits and bobs.

However, speaking to some of the members at our club, (Watch House Cruising Club, Stretford, Manchester), some think Hesford no longer allow DIY Blacking.

Does anyone know if this is the case, r will I be OK to DIY?

I think some here have a connection with Hesford, so I hope someone will know.

Many thanks

Richard

Err.... give them a call ?

Err..... I did that before I posted.

Not sure whether the office is manned Sat or Sun, so thought I might get an answer here, from someone who is there :)

Booked it couple of months ago, and can't remember what was discussed. Only concerned because of what I hope is a rumour.

How much do they charge per foot per week? I asked them by email a couple of weeks ago but not had any response.

I'm 45ft, and my notes say £28.35 per week, which looks like £0.63 per foot per week. Its £170 for the lift and splash, and £25 for 2 hours use of the pressure washer. I'm presuming it's all plus VAT.

Their Twitter page says they are a DIY boatyard, and their one tweet was at Easter, so I'm presuming DIY will be OK, but it would be reassuring to have it confirmed by someone who knows :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 45ft, and my notes say £28.35 per week, which looks like £0.63 per foot per week. Its £170 for the lift and splash, and £25 for 2 hours use of the pressure washer.

Been at Hesford for nearly 2 weeks now.

Above prices are correct, (still not sure if it's plus VAT).

Definitely DIY, and very friendly and helpful all round.

Asked for new anodes to be fitted and it was done within a few hours. Had a minor issue with something wrapped around prop shift and got some help very quickly and, as it only took minutes, no charge!

Seem to be going through a reorganisation at the moment, particularly the chandlery, but when I wanted some paint not in stock, they ordered it and it was here yesterday when I returned after working a couple of days.

Highly recommended, and lovely location.

Been at Hesford for nearly 2 weeks now.

Above prices are correct, (still not sure if it's plus VAT).

Definitely DIY, and very friendly and helpful all round.

Asked for new anodes to be fitted and it was done within a few hours. Had a minor issue with something wrapped around prop shift and got some help very quickly and, as it only took minutes, no charge!

Seem to be going through a reorganisation at the moment, particularly the chandlery, but when I wanted some paint not in stock, they ordered it and it was here yesterday when I returned after working a couple of days.

Highly recommended, and lovely location.

Sounds good - all they need to do now is start answering emails!

Sounds good - all they need to do now is start answering emails!

That's why I mentioned the reorganisation, which means they might be a little disorganised for a while.

I wouldn't discount them because they don't reply to an email... pick up the phone?

I wouldn't discount them because they don't reply to an email... pick up the phone?

Don't worry, I won't. It's just that when I see a 'Contact Us' email address which no one replies to, it makes me wonder whether everything else on the website is bullsh*t as well.

I'll probably pop down there for a look round - are there staff on-site during the day?

Don't worry, I won't. It's just that when I see a 'Contact Us' email address which no one replies to, it makes me wonder whether everything else on the website is bullsh*t as well.

I'll probably pop down there for a look round - are there staff on-site during the day?

If you go into the chandlery, a buzzer sounds and someone comes in from the office next door. Monday to Friday.

If you go into the chandlery, a buzzer sounds and someone comes in from the office next door. Monday to Friday.

When I was there last summer, a man came from the workshop at the rear where he was engaged in building a large scale model of an American railway locomotive.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 45ft, and my notes say £28.35 per week, which looks like £0.63 per foot per week. Its £170 for the lift and splash, and £25 for 2 hours use of the pressure washer. I'm presuming it's all plus VAT.

Their Twitter page says they are a DIY boatyard, and their one tweet was at Easter, so I'm presuming DIY will be OK, but it would be reassuring to have it confirmed by someone who knows :)

All inclusive of VAT. Definitely DIY. A great experience!