ANPR for the waterways - could this help sort some of the problems out?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Standard size reflective number plates on the cabin sides of all boats including historic.

They would need to be illuminated for when boats travel at dusk and at night.ninja.gif

anything else Laurence, should we have touch pad access to lock flights, no licence no passage.

• Greenie 1

At a recent private meeting with Richard Parry and other senior CRT members a number of issues were discussed. One which I championed has been a developing idea to introduce ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) to principal junctions, mooring sites and hot spots around the system.

In reality its a step back to the old days of gauging stops, toll clerks etc where boats were checked and in some cases logged on a boat control system map.

By using ANPR overstaying boats, number plate less boats, non moving craft etc would be easily identified and logged. It would give CRT a much better idea of who is doing what.

Of course there would have to be refinements such as if you go to a marina you are logged off the system until you come out again, home moorings would have to recognised and a few more things taken on board.

Develop it further and have a new simple licence system where points are added if you break the rules and even more control could be had.

Outside third party wardens could ticket the offending craft.

CRT needs to embrace modern technology, stop listening to the whining minority of freeloaders and take charge of what they are in charge of.

we don't have the pleasure of consolation's before our road tax is changed so why bother for what is a fairly small system with just 32000 craft?

ANPR is a simple off the shelf system today, Hospitals use it on car parks, the Police use it to catch "marked" cars so why not CRT?

They need to be more clear and hard on the rules.

It's not your idea, it's been discussed lots of times on here for starters. It won't work because it's easy to fool the system, boaters move at night time and in poor visibility. Misinterpretation of more erroneous data will just result in more failed court cases for CRT.

CRT have got better things to do with OUR money. It's people like you who are causing a lot of misery and fear to boaters who are complying with the rules. Those with home moorings are now having to look behind their backs due to this stupid obsession to track movement.

How to make friends on the cut eh....

Could you just take the number plate off your boat, cycle up to the nearest junction and wave it near the camera, and then cycle back to your boat and re-fit it?

Doesn't work as the some modern systems need mass too.

What pub was this discussed at Laurence?

The Wheel at Worfield.

Hogg makes me laugh.

Lives in a world of his own ( cica1950 )

Glad to be of service have a :) on me. Just wait and see sunshine....

Glad to be of service have a :) on me. Just wait and see sunshine....

Scaremongering'spherical objects'

A friend and I have very similar looking boats, we are currently moored more than 100 miles apart. We each carry one of the others plates and swap them once a fortnight.

So you are one of the piss takers the trust are after.....

It's not your idea, it's been discussed lots of times on here for starters. It won't work because it's easy to fool the system, boaters move at night time and in poor visibility. Misinterpretation of more erroneous data will just result in more failed court cases for CRT.

Dare I say RFIDs.

Damn where is that tongue in cheek smiley when you need it!

They only work at very short range. Surely what is needed is a 4ft x 2ft barcode painted on every cabin side?

I did put a tongue in cheek statement but you got me thinking and a quick google produced.

Battery-powered tags typically have a read range of 300 feet (100 meters).

That is more than the width of most canals.

However I like the idea of a 4ft bar code. laugh.png

Edited by Jerra

What pub was this discussed at Laurence?

**mod cap off**

The virtual pub of course, what tickles me is this was a PRIVATE meeting but laurence decided to break confidence and share it with the world, unbelievable!!!!

If they had specific boat numbers for immigrants and non immigrants, they could block certain areas of the canal network to immigrants (I'm thinking something like an automated swing bridge) so they don't come and use up all the water and fill the elsan points with their sh....produce?

At a recent private meeting with Richard Parry and other senior CRT members a number of issues were discussed. One which I championed has been a developing idea to introduce ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) to principal junctions, mooring sites and hot spots around the system.

If the purpose of said private meeting was an attempt to get yourself taken more seriously by current CRT senior management, I rather fear that "championing" such a daft idea might be more than a bit of an own goal!

ANPR? Why not. I am for it. A simple device to reduce the cost of managing the network and providing more options for charging. Note: more options for charging, not (necessarily) more charge.

I can understand opposition to it, it is change and that is always unacceptable. It will make it harder to cheat, see the opposition to speed cameras. Speed cameras should be camouflaged and satnav warnings should be illegal and this is obvious. We have lost the ability to respect the Law because it is the Law and have moved to the Law only needs to be observed if there isn't a large body of people who don't like it.

Now where are there some more Laws that I can ignore because I don't like them...

ANPR? Why not. I am for it. A simple device to reduce the cost of managing the network and providing more options for charging. Note: more options for charging, not (necessarily) more charge.

I can understand opposition to it, it is change and that is always unacceptable. It will make it harder to cheat, see the opposition to speed cameras. Speed cameras should be camouflaged and satnav warnings should be illegal and this is obvious. We have lost the ability to respect the Law because it is the Law and have moved to the Law only needs to be observed if there isn't a large body of people who don't like it.

Now where are there some more Laws that I can ignore because I don't like them...

Well said. Millions of us pass ANPR, cameras and other Government detectors everyday without a thought, yet who gets caught by these devices? those who contravene the law.

Reading what has been written here clearly indicates a small proportion are worried by an increased observation of boat movements, most of us wouldn't worry so what have those who oppose or slate the idea have to hide?

The meeting with Richard Parry was about possible future us of my boat "Barnet" which produced results, other things were discussed to and one of them is the subject of this thread,

If the purpose of said private meeting was an attempt to get yourself taken more seriously by current CRT senior management, I rather fear that "championing" such a daft idea might be more than a bit of an own goal!

I am surprised to see this comment from you Alan. We want better waterways not floating tin can squalor flouting the rules the rest of us keep to. And no home goal for me I got what I wanted (see History & Heritage).

They would need to be illuminated for when boats travel at dusk and at night.ninja.gif

anything else Laurence, should we have touch pad access to lock flights, no licence no passage.

ANPR uses infra red illumination for after dark. It can also read different sizes and at angles, its quite sophisticated nowadays.