Telephone Call with CRT Enforcement

junior

Featured Posts

After reading the varied articles on this family, I honestly believe he is taking the piss. One article states he is a carer for his partner I presume he may be getting an allowance for this. So who looks after her whilst he is out working. And surely if he is running his own business he must have the funding to have the work done for him. Surely you could rebuild an whole engine in 6 months. And I,m sure the local council would not see a family with children and a medical condition out on the streets if CART removed there boat.

I may seem heartless but having lost my leg in 79 at 17 I have worked all my life and claimed nothing. I work 60 to 70 hours a week driving artics and I still have time to maintain the boat. Yes I do live in a marina but that works for me. And if this guy didnt comply in a house do you think the landlord would take 6 months to sort the situation. CART have been reasonable and patient.

Have you been to London lately? Someone I know boating down there reckons there are approaching 1500 hundred boats down there now moored 5 and 6 abreast in places.

There enough anecdotal evidence to make a reasonable assumption that around 500 of these are "second boats" bought by some of the other CMers down there and rented out, almost certainly without correct procedures, insurance or licencing.

Closer to home MIlton Keynes is now virtually a linear floating housing estate populated by boats who aren't in my estimation designed and maintained in a condition conducive to safe, effective or enjoyable cruising.

Okay, so this is only one of a few boats taking the mick around Nuneaton, but there were only a few boats in Oxford in the late 80's and look at the state that had got into by the mid 90s. When that was dredged in 95/96 the moorers were making death threats against the dredging gang because they didn't want it dredging and didn't want to move in case one of their "mates" nicked their spot afterwards. Personally I think dumping the dredgings on the towingpath might have been the best bet......

I have nothing against people who love their boats and want to live on one (been there, done that and hope to again) as many of my friends do, but I don't understand why we should have to pander to people for whom the fact that their home is afloat and has to move is an inconvenience. Surely anyone actually boating along the Ashby must have noticed how much more pleasant it has been for the last couple years compared to how that had got before a change in enforcement boundaries?

I've just come through Milton Keynes in the last week, I didn't see the Linear floating housing estate you speak of? In fact, I was amazed at how empty it was. Even Campbell park and giffard were quite empty. Loads of space at cosgrove too.

I've just come through Milton Keynes in the last week, I didn't see the Linear floating housing estate you speak of? In fact, I was amazed at how empty it was. Even Campbell park and giffard were quite empty. Loads of space at cosgrove too.

Yes and Oxford of which I know well has very few boats moored there at present even the agenda 21 are tidy so thats more waffle from the past.......

Tim

Did someone say it has a beta engine in it?

The 2 and 3 pot variants are common as muck in lawn tractors and refer units.

If its a v2203 4 cylinder there are loads in gensets up and down the land.

The Kubota dealer network is vast if you know the part number you want, parts catalogue freely available on line - almost as easy to find as YouTube.... if you don't know the part number beta marine are exceedingly helpful.

£400 for a winter mooring, couple of hundred quids worth of bits spread over the winter and off cruising again in the spring.

Job sorted as they say.

Hope so at Long Buckby heading south

I have not listened to the U-tube telephone recording. Without a doubt, should CRT call me to say that I am about to be subject to enforcement I would be pleased that they took the trouble to call my mobile (or email/text me) rather than issuing enforcement notices (pre CC1 etc. etc.) presenting my options to correct the situation.

This case demonstrates extreme tolerance by enforcement officers which is as it should be. The OP has been given nine months grace. "Yes sir, no sir" may have extended this permission but the OP chose to challenge what I believe could have resulted in a satisfactory conclusion. OTOH, when loss of your home is threatened it is hard to be rational.

Alan

Not my fault. Evidently they ain't got the staff to put me through earlier.

Not wanting to be seen as a "CRT basher", I agreed to be helpful.

Does that class as " Reasonable " laugh.png

Tim

Same here. I can't speak for the other areas they mention but based on the comments about MK I'd say it's spin from a hire boat company who may be one of many behind the recent T&C changes. A friend says this, a friend says that etc...whatever...

I'm really beginning to believe the spirit of the waterways is being eroded by business objectives. I can see this in Kris's thread. Anyone trying to keep a classic boat going should be cut some slack. It's what those who helped renovate the canals would want. Playground for the rich is coming folks...

Reasonable would be a boat that's suited to the navigation concerned.....I'm not sure needing the tunnel reserved especially for you counts as this.....

Cheers

Gareth

I have a boat, same as you. It's just bigger, and not called Doris, Gareth.

Get over your prejudice, if that's what it is.

A lady in a narrow boat commented today that she would love a wideboat, as she is getting fed up with forever taking the missionary position on her narrowboat.

I presume she and her hubby were religious. Nice people though.

Not my fault. Evidently they ain't got the staff to put me through earlier.

Not wanting to be seen as a "CRT basher", I agreed to be helpful.

should get there Thursday I assume it's OK to brace up if the moorings are busy.

I have a boat, same as you. It's just bigger, and not called Doris, Gareth.

Get over your prejudice, if that's what it is.

A lady in a narrow boat commented today that she would love a wideboat, as she is getting fed up with forever taking the missionary position on her narrowboat.

I presume she and her hubby were religious. Nice people though.

I always wonder what is wrong with the what seems many narrowboat owners that are anti boats built of proper dimensions. A widebeam or call it what you will is vastly more comfortable and stable especialy on fast flowing rivers etc. Narrowboats are a ludicrous width and uncomfortable and the only reason I have one is some pratts built 7 foot wide locks years ago and I want to cruise again biggrin.png

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

Closer to home MIlton Keynes is now virtually a linear floating housing estate populated by boats who aren't in my estimation designed and maintained in a condition conducive to safe, effective or enjoyable cruising.

This rather daft comment leads me to think you are relying far too much on "anecdotally", and have little genuine knowledge of the subject you are posting about.

I never find extreme exaggeration to be a good way of presenting an argument, unless there is nobody likely to respond who knows the true situation - better to stick to facts IMO.

This rather daft comment leads me to think you are relying far too much on "anecdotally", and have little genuine knowledge of the subject you are posting about.

I never find extreme exaggeration to be a good way of presenting an argument, unless there is nobody likely to respond who knows the true situation - better to stick to facts IMO.

No exaggeration intended - compared to how I remember it 30 - 35 years ago, that's how it seems to me, and I know I am not alone in seeing it that way. And it was pretty chocka the last time I was through there at the back end of last year - pleased to hear it is much improved. There's a new, and very good enforcement officer just started on that patch.

It's always very apparent to me how the density of boats hanging around bridgeholes increases as you head south from Braunston towards MK. I'm surprised you haven't noticed it, or were you referring to my comment about their design?

• Greenie 1

Yes and Oxford of which I know well has very few boats moored there at present even the agenda 21 are tidy so thats more waffle from the past.......

Tim

I wasn't having a go about Oxford now but look at all the effort and grief on both sides that had to go into sorting it out. My point was Oxford in the past was a good example of how it could go wrong if we worked on the assumption that no regulation was needed. That said, it can't be all peace and enlightenment down there at the moment with this land grab malarkey.

No exaggeration intended - compared to how I remember it 30 - 35 years ago, that's how it seems to me, and I know I am not alone in seeing it that way. And it was pretty chocka the last time I was through there at the back end of last year - pleased to hear it is much improved. There's a new, and very good enforcement officer just started on that patch.

It's always very apparent to me how the density of boats hanging around bridgeholes increases as you head south from Braunston towards MK. I'm surprised you haven't noticed it, or were you referring to my comment about their design?

I passed through Mk several times last year. I didn't see any of what you are implying.

It is however a popular area, owing to the number of marinas within cruising distance.

Anyway, I think your exagerating, seriously.

I always wonder what is wrong with the what seems many narrowboat owners that are anti boats built of proper dimensions. A widebeam or call it what you will is vastly more comfortable and stable especialy on fast flowing rivers etc. Narrowboats are a ludicrous width and uncomfortable and the only reason I have one is some pratts built 7 foot wide locks years ago and I want to cruise again biggrin.png

Tim

I'd say very few modern "narrowboats" are built to proper dimensions - lets start with 6'10"!

You are absolutely right that it is horses for coursse. I've boated the Trent as far as Keadby many times and there are much better boats than a narrowboat to play around down there on, but that's all I have. I don't however expect everyone else down there to make allowances for me so I hope everyone sees that as fair enough,

Wide beams on the GU is arguable, even though historically maximum dimensions for craft were quoted as 7' above Rickmansworth (somebody correct that please if I'm wrong - I haven't got the right book to hand), but now we've had widebeams to the top of Hillmorton (yes Alan, seen with my own eyes). Am I the only person here uncomfortable with that?

Edited by Rose Narrowboats