Does cooker need to be 12 v ignition?

Featured Posts

I think the answer to this is pretty obvious ( never stopped me asking before)

but in looking for a cooker, am I restricted by 12 v ignition.

I anticipate otherwise I'd need to be plugged into 240 circuit on the inverter or whatever.

Or I do without the ignition?

options seem to be a lot more limited for 12v. what do others do?

Ed

I am sure that you could change a mains igniter for a 12V one if required but it may be cheaper to use matches. You will have to watch for things like oven igniters that work by just turning the gas on and then turn themselves off when flame is detected.

I suspect the answer depends upon your choice of fridge. If you choose a mains one plus inverter then the inverter can also be used for the cooker ignition.

You can do without the ignition, but you'll have to avoid cookers with fans. My New World cooker has a fan and has to be connected to 240v AC when using the oven or grill. The ignition is also connect via the 240v ac system. It would need a relatively small inverter. An average car type inverter would be sufficient. I've used a 150w auto inverter. Easy enough to fit near to the cooker.

Not sure how this might effect BSS standards.

Edited by Higgs

My Cannon cooker has a fan as well, which needs 240v. To avoid confusion, note that it is NOT a fan oven; this is a small cooling fan buried inside it somewhere and it is not obviously mentioned anywhere in the specs. It switches on automatically when the temperature above the oven/grill area reaches a certain level, and it stays running after the oven has been switched off until everything has cooled down.

Many cookers have this, and some can reputedly melt their own control knobs if it isn't working properly.

My Cannon cooker has a fan as well, which needs 240v. To avoid confusion, note that it is NOT a fan oven; this is a small cooling fan buried inside it somewhere and it is not obviously mentioned anywhere in the specs. It switches on automatically when the temperature above the oven/grill area reaches a certain level, and it stays running after the oven has been switched off until everything has cooled down.

Many cookers have this, and some can reputedly melt their own control knobs if it isn't working properly.

My cooker is the same its 230v not a problem just switch the inverter to on rather than power save when using the oven and/or grill. We can use the hob without if we want but tend not to bother.

I have the same cooker and thanks to your advice I just use a 150 watt inverter solely for the cooker. Just turn on when using cooker. My other alternative would be the boats main inverter, 3000w. A bit over the top.

My magnificent, but ancient Super Calor 1/2 size cooker has none of these igniters and fail safe devices to go wrong. I simply light it with my fag lighter or by striking a match (Swan or Ship) not fussy. By using matches the spent ones can be sold on ebay or saved to mend things with, or one can with a drop of glue make fine models with them, models of ships and Saturn V rockets for example. There are also many games and puzzles you can play if bored with spent matches, like Cribbage scoring, wagging the donkey's tail and miniature wigwams ect.

And I nearly forgot. Invaluable for forcing yer bins to stay open during times when extreme vigilance is required, ''like when an invasion is imminent'' and sleepyness is about to take over or you are fighting the powers of a hypnotist by propping open the eyelids to stay awake.

Edited by bizzard