Petition on 38 degrees

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

I would love to know, reasonably accurately, how many boats are lived on. Take away the number of boats with residential moorings and see just how many boats are used outside the rules. That gives an idea of the 'problem'. If all those boats then cruise around in circles to comply with the rules it doesn't really solve much at all. There are hundreds of awful boats from the 1970's onwards that should have depreciated to their scrap value and disappeared but they still have a value as somewhere to live. There is an undeniable shortage of affordable housing and a lot of affordable boats. I signed the petition

What is an 'awful' boat.

One that doesn't meet your exacting standards of shinyness??

Sorry did not realise that after cruising about 400 miles dealing with a sick mother and a sick sister who died on 4 January I was not allowed to take a winter mooring. You can think what you like you know nothing about me, my cruising pattern or what petition I would or would not sign. For the sake of clarity I have not signed this petition either

Edited to say: Just reread my post I should clarify my mother and sister were not on my boat I was traveling back and forth to Dorset by train. Just felt my post read like they were on the boat

Any other opinions you would like to express about me?

I can only formulate a reply based on the information you give!!!

I have always felt that, at least on the official Government petitions, if not all such petitions, there should be the ability to record a "NO" or negative vote.

George ex nb Alton retired

That's not really the point of a petition. If you have a contrary view then you are perfectly free to start your own petition to that effect.

Sorry did not realise that after cruising about 400 miles dealing with a sick mother and a sick sister who died on 4 January I was not allowed to take a winter mooring. You can think what you like you know nothing about me, my cruising pattern or what petition I would or would not sign. For the sake of clarity I have not signed this petition either

Edited to say: Just reread my post I should clarify my mother and sister were not on my boat I was traveling back and forth to Dorset by train. Just felt my post read like they were on the boat

Any other opinions you would like to express about me?

John you may be many things but constant moorer is not one of them. One day soon I want to be constant cruising too I suspect like you a winter mooring can be attractive and in your case it was necessary because of your poorly sister. It also does ensure a bit of safety for your boat whilst you are away.

Peter

You mean you can only formulate a reply based on your assumptions that fit what you wish to think about another person

Errr no!! I can only formulate a reply based on the information you give. At least try to maintain some perspective chap.

I fully appreciate that life has not been kind recently, I wish you no I'll will, or to cause you any more stress than you undoubtedly have had recently. With that in mind I think its time to let this one go

Edited by The Lockie

Some have such a perverse view, so much so that they don't actually see what's in front of them.

The petition in my view is actually helping Crt, by making government aware of the issues that CRT often point out to them.

Really?

I read it as petitioning for CRT to accept responsibility as landlords and not just a navigation authority.

Edited by MJG

I have no problems with petitions , and it does no harm for our new director of customer relations to realise he has a problem on his hands with a sizeable chunk of his customers. As Jenlyn says if it prompts a wider discussion outside CRT around housing rather than boating then good, personally I don't want CRT to become a landlord so I haven't signed.

Some have such a perverse view, so much so that they don't actually see what's in front of them.

The petition in my view is actually helping Crt, by making government aware of the issues that CRT often point out to them.

I don't think that it will help CRT at all. Do you really think that the government don't know that as a result of a number of their policies homelessness is increasing? do you really think that they give a toss? The line of the petition I strongly disagree with is "...CART needs to accept it's responsibilities as a landlord......", no it doesn't. Accept it's responsibilities as a navigation authority, yes, but it is not a landlord. During my working life I had minor dealings with a number of people who lived in their vehicles on the road, does that make the Highways Authority a 'landlord'?

I haven't (and wont) signed either.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 3

It's headed for David Cameron.

Maybe so. However as I said the wording of the actual petition is directed to CRT.

If it was aimed properly at govt. the wording would be completely different.

It's crap wording if it really is directed at Camo.

I don't think that it will help CRT at all. Do you really think that the government don't know that as a result of a number of their policies homelessness is increasing? do you really think that they give a toss? The line of the petition I strongly disagree with is "...CART needs to accept it's responsibilities as a landlord......", no it doesn't. Accept it's responsibilities as a navigation authority, yes, but it is not a landlord. During my working life I had minor dealings with a number of people who lived in their vehicles on the road, does that make the Highways Authority a 'landlord'?

I saw past the wording, and as I said, recognised the underlying problem.

I saw past the wording, and as I said, recognised the underlying problem.

And you honestly think that civil servants wIll?

It's a crap petition. It's worded to get loads of signatures but will have zero effect, as per the OP, yes we have seen such before.

Edited by MJG

And you honestly think that civil servants wIll?

It's a crap petition. It's worded to get loads of signatures but will have zero effect, as per the OP, yes we have seen such before.

Better than being sat behind a keyboard and just sounding off on here.

Maybe it will be ignored, someone is still at least doing something.

Perhaps you could and should produce a better one.

That effectively is all it is though, sounding off from behind keyboard. Someone may 'think' they are doing something but in reality they are not, at least not with a petition addressed to the PM but actually aimed at CRT.

If it ever gets near a civil servant they will immediately forward it on to the govt. dept responsible for the waterways who will pass it on to Parry who will in turn do what exactly?

As a petition for drawing attention to the difficulties some boaters genuinely face it's utterly crap.

I don't think that there is any 'maybe' as to whether it will be ignored, it is pretty much a certainty. In your view,"...someone is still at least doing something...." but for what purpose? Assume that everything that they hope for came to fruition with this petition, paint me a picture of what that would entail?

That effectively is all it is though, sounding off from behind keyboard. Someone may 'think' they are doing something but in reality they are not, at least not with a petition addressed to the PM but actually aimed at CRT.

If it ever gets near a civil servant they will immediately forward it on to the govt. dept responsible for the waterways who will pass it on to Parry who will in turn do what exactly?

As a petition for drawing attention to the difficulties some boaters genuinely face it's utterly crap.

It's fine, you don't have to give me your excuses. I fully understand.

I don't think that there is any 'maybe' as to whether it will be ignored, it is pretty much a certainty. In your view,"...someone is still at least doing something...." but for what purpose? Assume that everything that they hope for came to fruition with this petition, paint me a picture of what that would entail?

I agree. The govt are not going to receive the petition and say "oh blimey, they are right. Lets change the law so liveaboards can clutter up the towpath for years on end raising families as they need to be near a skool".

Or maybe the authors think they will!

It's fine, you don't have to give me your excuses. I fully understand.

I'm not giving excuses, what is that about?

I'm explaining why I think it will be ineffective and pointless.

Now I could craft some wording for a better one but I doubt it would be this late at night and would just end up being crafted on the back of the same envelope as the one we are discussing was.

I agree. The govt are not going to receive the petition and say "oh blimey, they are right. Lets change the law so liveaboards can clutter up the towpath for years on end raising families as they need to be near a skool".

Or maybe the authors think they will!

(Shakes head)

Hopefully someone will sort it eh?

It seems that some of the people who are signing this petition are not really clear on the concept of what a landlord does - i.e. collect rent! From the comments on the petition page:

I used to give a monthly donation to the CRT but have stopped it now. And, I would urge others to do the same. The CRT will just have to get their money from being good landlords. They will have to do the same as any landlord and play by the rules.

Apparently the person who wrote that comment does not understand, or refuses to recognize, that the people who are pushing this petition don't want to pay rent for the space they occupy, and that is why they are in an uproar. I know that the license fees are a charge for using the waterways, but those fees are supposed to be for using, not parking your boat in one place. This whole issue is that the CMers want free moorings.

This is an issue with divergent points of view. However, it seems rather disingenuous to demand that CRT be a better landlord with a petition that says you shouldn't have to pay rent. "Good landlords" make sure that fair rent is charged and collected. Good landlords don't give their stock in trade away for free.

• Greenie 1