Love my pram hood.

Humblespud

Featured Posts

Mine has separate sides which fix to the top part of the canopy, this in turn fixes to the windscreen. I just take the whole thing down in one now without separating the sides from the top part as it's too much faffing around doing it that way and more so putting it back up. It creases the sides a bit though I'm guessing it's tough enough material to withstand a bit of creasing?

Mine has separate sides which fix to the top part of the canopy, this in turn fixes to the windscreen. I just take the whole thing down in one now without separating the sides from the top part as it's too much faffing around doing it that way and more so putting it back up. It creases the sides a bit though I'm guessing it's tough enough material to withstand a bit of creasing?

I do the same through those extra low bridges, its worth the effort to have it up the majority of the time and have the extra room when moored :)

Rick

• Greenie 1

No problem on the Bridgewater judge.gif

Steve

No problem on the Bridgewater judge.gif

Steve

The bridgewater lends itself well to the the much maligned pramhood, but we have fitted pramhoods on two different NB's these past 13 years and have cruised many canals with the hood up during poor weather. A little bit of common sense soon establishes a quick drop method for bridge holes. They can be a pain in locks though.

Having had two NB's both with and without hoods, I know were my preferences sit.

......or shelter under if you need to work in the engine 'ole in the rain.

that is the single biggest plus! i have several led strip lights in my engine hole and under the canvas, so its great servicing the engine in the dry and warm if i leave the cabin doors open, whilst being passed cups of coffee! a lot more civilised than struggling in the elements :)

Rick

I guess I'll stow it away soon till November, is that what peeps do?

Personally i will leave mine up, perhaps take the sides out during the day, even keep it folded, but definately still use it when moored as i have a table on desmo legs to go out there for sitting out in the evening

Rick

Our pram hood helps keep the dogs aboard, so tends to stay in position. Folded down by day (unless very wet) then in place at night. We rarely shut the inner doors unless it is cold. Dogs have a free run then from the cratch to the semi trad stern.

I guess I'll stow it away soon till November, is that what peeps do?

We tend to leave our hoods up all year round. The back of our boat is self draining so we don't really need too but we prefer to give the seating and nav gear some protection from the elements, especially when we are not there.

We are fortunate in that our hoods fold down quite small so don't take up much on board when they are taken off. At every given opportunity when we are on board and the weather allows they are taken off.

I'm not sure what the anti pram hood types object to exactly.

Jealousy?

Some hoods look a bit unwieldy TBH.

My widebeam seems to suit it better.

Leave mine up all year.

take the sides out during summer and roll the front and back up whilst cruising.

Couple of quick release straps at front hold it up.

If need to lower [semington Dry Dock for example] can lower in seconds.

Can go along the section of K&A that I frequent with no clearance issues. [Kintbury-Trowbridge]

Just need to watch edges through some of the bridges is all.

Use it as a workshop and can leave my Bike on back no problem!

LUV IT!!

If I had another cruiser I would definitely have a pram hood as I think they are pretty much essential on a cruiser stern for all sorts of reasons.

But it's a fact the vast majority of them look awful. It's very difficult to get the design sympathetic with the lines of a narrowboat but that's the price you pay I guess.