Hybrid Marine

Jayseaess

Featured Posts

Not got one but had a long chat with someone who did last year. He was very enthusiastic and said they could go for quite some time on batteries alone. The boat was new and the batteries were guaranteed for eight years. My concern would be the cost of replacing them some time after that.

The 2 volt cell fork lift batteries are designed exactly for this sort of set up as they drive electric motors all day long an regularly go below 50% with no problems and last for years if you keep the acid levels topped up, you can get auto watering for this.

Neil.

That's a very interesting site including an over analysis of fuel declaration - helpful though

Strangely enough, the Thames Electric Launch Company that the site links to has apparently never heard of AGM batteries. They recommend gels, which seems a little bizarre.

This guy has been running one for some years now in his boat

http://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk

Several years ago I had a trip on this boat. Silent cruising. But, if my failing memory serves me right, this was not a true Hybrid. The Lynch motor providing electric propulsion was not used as a generator when the diesel was engaged, so battery charging for electric propulsion was dependant upon a land line. My memory may well be at fault however. ( Oft is! )

I believe a boat called Felonious Mongoose was fitted with the Hybrid Marine system.

Several years ago I had a trip on this boat. Silent cruising. But, if my failing memory serves me right, this was not a true Hybrid. The Lynch motor providing electric propulsion was not used as a generator when the diesel was engaged, so battery charging for electric propulsion was dependant upon a land line. My memory may well be at fault however. ( Oft is! )

I believe a boat called Felonious Mongoose was fitted with the Hybrid Marine system.

The Waterways boat certainly didn't need a shorline to recharge the batteries. As far as I can remember, the batteries were charged using conventional means. Can't remember if the boat had a standalone generator, though. The shell is a Reeve's, and the boat was fitted out by Stephen Goldsborough Boats.

One of the reasons this boat was fitted with an electric drive, in addition to the diesel, was to keep the noise down whilst filming for the DVDs.

My memory isn't perfect and it might not be a Hybrid Marine set up but it is a hybrid. Read more here: http://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk/wr/faq-electric-propulsion.html

Incidentally Debdale wharf built a different sort of hybrid boat (Timewarp?) using an AC motor and a cocooned genset for charging which kicked as needed.

Edited by starman

You can also get a petrol powered 12v Genny to charge batteries, or build one like I am doing with a 120amp alternator, should put back your 360amps in 3 hours or so a lot cheaper than running the main engine.

Neil

It doesn't work quite like that - you might get 120 amps for the 1st hour, but then you may get something like 60 amps in the second hour, 40 amps in the third hour, 20 amps in the fourth hour and 10 amps for each hour afterwards eventually dropping down to just a few amps It is still a 120 amp alternator but the alternator output is dictated by the SOC of the battery.

It would probably take in excess of 8 hours to replace the 360 amps.

Review of Felonious here: http://www.braidbarboats.co.uk/pdf/mongoose_web.pdf

She's a true hybrid with the Lynch motor recharging a mahoosive battery bank when being driven by the diesel. The battery bank also acts as the domestic bank. Currently based in Brum at Sherborne Wharf.