New Boat, No Address, what do I tell taxman, bank, DVLA et al

Terryb

Featured Posts

Title says it all really. Who do I tell and what do I tell them with regards my address. I know i can forward my mail, but I can not register my car there. Neither can I have a bank account registered at my Sons address. So what do i do for the best. I have tried searching the forums with several different tag lines, so please accept my apologies if the answers are on here already.

Title says it all really. Who do I tell and what do I tell them with regards my address. I know i can forward my mail, but I can not register my car there. Neither can I have a bank account registered at my Sons address. So what do i do for the best. I have tried searching the forums with several different tag lines, so please accept my apologies if the answers are on here already.

Nothing you can do other than going back and living in a house, or learn to bend the truth and tell these organisations some white lies.

Welcome to the world of pushing boundaries...

MtB

We use Boatmail who can provide an "ordinary" address. Lots of Orgs and businesses will not accept a PO Box. We get our mail sent PO poste restante periodically, however hard I try there are still some things that come by post.

We have informed all we need to that it is a correspondence address and the bank and DVLA are happy with that. The important thing is to make sure they all have same address. If, for eg you want to open a new bank account you will need your address to match on your driving licence and bank statements and to provide passport as you will not be on electoral roll in the usual way that confirms your address or have utility bills. TV Licencing also insist on a land address even tho it is online now.

We did not want to rely on friends for years of mail posting and our son rents and moves around so not ideal.

Val

We use daughters address for everything, DVLA, Bank, CRT, Insurance, Taxman; the only thing we don't use it for is doctors. We found a doctor on our travels who is used to the boating community, registered with them and use walk in centres or register as a temporary patients if we need to. Took us a while with that one though and they are happy to send any correspondence to daughters address as they know we "travel around a bit." As for mail daughter opens it and if theres anything important she thinks we need to see she scans and sends it over. Every 3 months she will Poste Restante it to a PO of our choice. The only stipulation there is we pay for envelopes and postage glare.gif She's an excellent un-salaried PA.

ETA: As daughter lives alone and receives a reduced council tax bill we both had to write to the council and tell them we do not live at that address and that we only use it for mailing purposes. That also took some getting through the bureaucratic red tape!

Edited by tillergirl

Just be aware that using a relatives address, can affect their Council Tax, (if they are receiving the single person reduction), and/or any other 'benefits' (tax credits, pension credits etc etc)

My elderly mother receives single occupancy reduction on her council tax. All my bills and accounts have been registered at her address for a couple of years now, but about 6 months after i registered to vote at her address somebody from the council came round to investigate if she was pulling a fast one with the council tax. She explained that i lived on a boat and travelled all over the country, but needed to get my mail sent somewhere so used her address. They were happy with that and have never bothered her since.

• Greenie 1

We've used my in laws address since we moved aboard in 2009 - as far as the authorities are concerned that's where we live. The only problem has been when I've needed proof of address when I've done temp work (the NHS is by far the worse) because they want utility bills and /or council tax bills, which of course we don't have.

It can be hard work sometimes but we have managed to jump through the hoops so far.

All part of the fun of departing from the "norm".

Just be aware that using a relatives address, can affect their Council Tax, (if they are receiving the single person reduction), and/or any other 'benefits' (tax credits, pension credits etc etc)

That is wrong

My elderly mother receives single occupancy reduction on her council tax. All my bills and accounts have been registered at her address for a couple of years now, but about 6 months after i registered to vote at her address somebody from the council came round to investigate if she was pulling a fast one with the council tax. She explained that i lived on a boat and travelled all over the country, but needed to get my mail sent somewhere so used her address. They were happy with that and have never bothered her since.

Should have read this before answering Allan de Enfield post. I use my Mother's address for quite a lot of important post such as tax and pension and for example a simple explanation was all that was required for council tax and winter fuel allowance

That is wrong

Should have read this before answering Allan de Enfield post. I use my Mother's address for quite a lot of important post such as tax and pension and for example a simple explanation was all that was required for council tax and winter fuel allowance

You are 'wrong' - my statement was not 'wrong' at all.

I said it can affect the council tax, and I was simply making the OP aware that if the circumstances 'fit' his situation then he will need to take action to 'sort it out'.

If no one had informed him he would be in ignorance, and not until his 'old-mum' was told she no longer qualified for the rebate and started to get 'demands for full payment' would he be aware.

Surely better to know all of the hoops to jump thru before starting.

You are 'wrong' - my statement was not 'wrong' at all.

I said it can affect the council tax, and I was simply making the OP aware that if the circumstances 'fit' his situation then he will need to take action to 'sort it out'.

If no one had informed him he would be in ignorance, and not until his 'old-mum' was told she no longer qualified for the rebate and started to get 'demands for full payment' would he be aware.

Surely better to know all of the hoops to jump thru before starting.

So why did you not say that in your post? All very well making a post stating it can effect certain benefits and not explaining the solution. For that reason I think you were either scaremongering or you are now trying to justify the wrong information you gave.

• Greenie 1

So why did you not say that in your post? All very well making a post stating it can effect certain benefits and not explaining the solution. For that reason I think you were either scaremongering or you are now trying to justify the wrong information you gave.

You can never just accept that you are wrong can you.

The 'solutions' will vary by council, and the OP, and his 'friend/family member', would need to discuss it with their own council if the circumstances warranted it.

You can never just accept that you are wrong can you.

The 'solutions' will vary by council, and the OP, and his 'friend/family member', would need to discuss it with their own council if the circumstances warranted it.

Your trying hard. Shame you did not state that on your original post would have saved the confusion

The confusion was solely on your part so you can stop wriggling.

I said "it can affect the CT..............."

You said "that is wrong"

It patently is not wrong as indicated by your own (and others) experiences with the councils.

I'll leave it at that as we are obviously not going to agree.