Caen Flight (single handed)

Slim

Featured Posts

I've been thinking about where to go this year and one possible cruise is the K & A . (I'm based on South Oxford). Most of my crusing is single handed and have done the Thames several times so neither of those points concern me. My only concern is the Caen Flight coupled with the fact that at 68 I'm not as fit or fast as I was. At 29 locks I would normally choose to take several breaks and maybe an overnight stop somewhere around the mid way point. Sharing a wide lock this might prove problematical. Also I'm not sure if it's feasible to stop overnight at some point (all my books are on the boat). 99% of my experiences of sharing locks has been positive but I can still feel uncomfortable especially if the other boat is lightly crewed.

I saw somewhere that CaRT are recruiting volunteers for the Caen flight and would be only be too pleased to show my appreciation for any help in an appropriate way so that may be a possibility.

No dates at this time but it would be late spring/early summer with no time limitations.

Any thoughts,views and opinions appreciated.

Frank

Going downhill, once you start the first 19 locks (the main flight) you can't stop. That's the same either way.

I started going down on my own (on a widebeam) at 8am. I did the first 6 by myself and around 9.30 a team of helpers turned up and whizzed me down to the bottom for which I was very grateful. All I had to do was stay on the boat and control it with the engine (no ropes).

Then Henk turned up and helped me all the way through to Semington. cheers.gif

I think I did it on a Sunday - but I can't really remember. There is a lockkeeper at the top of the flight so if you go and have a word with him beforehand he might be able to put you in touch with the helpers. Otherwise I suppose CRT would be able to tell you when they're likely to be there.

Edited by blackrose

Hi Frank

My thoughts, go for it, nearer the date put it on here when you plan to do the main flight (no stopping possible) and ask if someone, or many would like to do some lock wheeling for you.

It's been done before.

Edited by bottle

Hi

In my opinion Id go for it. When we travel which we have done many times over the years we have often come across singlehanders and part of the joy of boating is to help them out. Many times over the years as others will know you end up locking a ( single hander ) through a million locks when at the end of the flight his/her other half appears from inside stating dinner etc is ready laugh.png cheeky sods but hey ho its all part of the boating.

In about 1990 we were on the K and A mid winter when we saw a springer crabbing along in front of us, we joined up with them and helped them thro several locks then went round to their tiny but fabulously cosy warm boat for food and drinks and stayed for hours, we are firm friends to this day though they no longer boat.

We are deffo getting slower now as my legs are crap and the old girl was 36 when we started and is now 62 so finds things rather more heavy but it would take more than creaky joints to stop us.

Go for it most boaters will gladly help and the ones that dont are not worth bothering about.

Tim

I've been thinking about where to go this year and one possible cruise is the K & A . (I'm based on South Oxford). Most of my crusing is single handed and have done the Thames several times so neither of those points concern me. My only concern is the Caen Flight coupled with the fact that at 68 I'm not as fit or fast as I was. At 29 locks I would normally choose to take several breaks and maybe an overnight stop somewhere around the mid way point. Sharing a wide lock this might prove problematical. Also I'm not sure if it's feasible to stop overnight at some point (all my books are on the boat). 99% of my experiences of sharing locks has been positive but I can still feel uncomfortable especially if the other boat is lightly crewed.

I saw somewhere that CaRT are recruiting volunteers for the Caen flight and would be only be too pleased to show my appreciation for any help in an appropriate way so that may be a possibility.

No dates at this time but it would be late spring/early summer with no time limitations.

Any thoughts,views and opinions appreciated.

Frank

it's usual to share with another narrow boat unless you go down at a weird time.

arrive devizes the day before and take the day to do it, you'll meet another boat in the morning and it's really easy because the locks are so close together. a lot easier than the lock a mile to get there on the Eastern side.

A few thoughts:

Post the date, people here will almost certainly come out to help you. I've done so in the past

You must not stop in the 16 - that's the impressive bit in the middle, but there are (I think) 6 locks above this and 7 below to make up the 29 (it might be 7 above and six below. Whatever, you can stop after about half a dozen locks, do the 16 and perhaps one more the next day, and then finsh the flight on a third day.

How far down is the pub. Years since the last time we went down. You could stop for refreshment.

I would do the flight if I was used to single handling. You will double up with another boat no doubt. Mind you we did the flight on our own in, I think, 2003, not sure of the year, but it was a really hot day. There was a photographer taking photos at the bottom, we ended up in a magazine all sunburnt and looking a bit kna nack tired.

Martyn

We did Caen Hill for the first time last autumn, and although there are two of us we're a WB so all four gates at each lock need to be opened/closed.

We stopped for the night after just past the wharf in Devizes, then went on to the main flight the following day, a couple of volunteers helped me with gates and setting the locks and all Dave had to do was stay on the boat and go through the locks. Was a bit hairy the first time meeting 2 narrow boats coming in the opposite direction; but after the first time we got the gist of how to do it smoothly.

Once we reached the bottom of the main flight there's a decent sized pound that has 48 hr moorings and then you can continue on toward Bath finishing the last 6 the next day.

For some reason I found going up easier than going down; no idea why as it's the same amount of locks and the same amount of work.

As other's have said, Caen Hill is quite easy compared to numerous locks that are a mile apart you need to navigate through between Reading & Devizes :)

Go for it and have a blast

A big thanks for all the (very positive) replies. As I said I was unsure about the composition of the main flight but 16 should be manageable, Did the Hatton flight both ways solo last year, (with help from a volunteer on the way down) and that was without a pub at the endcheers.gif

Many thanks

Frank

A big thanks for all the (very positive) replies. As I said I was unsure about the composition of the main flight but 16 should be manageable, Did the Hatton flight both ways solo last year, (with help from a volunteer on the way down) and that was without a pub at the endcheers.gif

Many thanks

Frank

. it's a lot easier than Hatton. and there's a pub at each end too.