Any bss folks answer this?

Kristian

Featured Posts

I'm wanting to fit one of these fuel filters/deep bowl water traps, however is the glass bowl really glass or plastic? Either way are these legal ref the BSS....Thanks...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIESEL-FUEL-WATER-TRAP-SEPARATOR-ASSY-DEEP-BOWL-TYPE-CAV-296-FUEL-FILTER-/271579022412?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3f3b5f044c

I'm wanting to fit one of these fuel filters/deep bowl water traps, however is the glass bowl really glass or plastic? Either way are these legal ref the BSS....Thanks...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIESEL-FUEL-WATER-TRAP-SEPARATOR-ASSY-DEEP-BOWL-TYPE-CAV-296-FUEL-FILTER-/271579022412?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3f3b5f044c

If you read the description you will see it states that the bowl is glass & the drain screw is plastic. Neither will pass the BSS.

I think its a bit complicated in that you can use glass bowls away from the engine room but not in it. On many canal boats that can pose a bit of a problem, especially if you have a boxed in engine.

The plastic screw is definitely a no-no.

Any decent vendor that seems to claim to be a Delphi supplier will be able to supply the same device with an alloy bowl plus the mandatory metal screw. Just position it so it is easy to get at for regular draining/sampling.

Personally, despite others differing opinions, I would never fit oen with a glass bowl. I have seen a fair few that have spontaneously shattered. This can be trace back to over tightening, being fitted wrongly, or having (say) a dropped spanner chip the glass at some time ion the past.

We got ours from ASAP, they had the full range at reasonable prices.

This is the version of that assembly with the deep metal bowl: http://www.asap-supplies.com/search/bowl/cav-type-fuel-filter-water-separator-302006

That still comes with a plastic drain screw, so you need a metal one:

http://www.asap-supplies.com/search/metal+drain/drain-bung-for-cav-fuel-filters-302987

or

http://www.asap-supplies.com/search/metal+drain/drain-bung-for-cav-fuel-filters-302998(easier to undo by hand but a tad overpriced)

Have a look at this thread particularly post 17 where I found the solution. I'm presently using a polycarbonate (lexan) fire resistant clear bowl with metal drain screw, available from Aquafax - note its not simply a clear plastic bowl as described.

The BSS regs (2.12.2) states:

Applicability – all-metal fuel filters are accepted as being sufficiently fire resistant.
Applicability – fuel filters marked with ISO 10088 are acceptable.

Edit to add applies where filter is in the engine room.

Edited by Meggers

The BSS regs (2.12.2) states:

Applicability – all-metal fuel filters are accepted as being sufficiently fire resistant.

Applicability – fuel filters marked with ISO 10088 are acceptable.

Edit to add applies where filter is in the engine room.

That's the requirement. For any clear bowl, the examiner will want to see the ISO 10088 marking or documentation that it comes up to that standard. As Meggers says this applies where the filter is in the engine space,

Edited to add. Vetus produce a range of clear bowl filters with a "flame guard" under the bowl most of these provided they are complete and not modified are ok. Check the manufacturers data. ISO 10088 stipulates fire resistance to 600 deg C for a period of 2.5 minutes

Edited by Radiomariner

I have the fuel guard hobby that has a clear bowl that is meant to be made of the stuff that is used on space ships and is very fire resistant if you believe all the blurb, but never the less it does pass the bss and comes with docs confirming this.

Neil

Try that very nice couple in the uttermost region of Scotland - SSL diesel parts - who knows the problem and can supply at very reasonable prices.

Another supporter of SSL here!

It also amazes me how they seem to get their stuff to arrive here (in deepest Sussex) by post as quickly as anything from local suppliers. Where SSL are in Tigharry, North Uist is extremely remote - try doing a Google Streetview on their postcode (HS6 5DE)!

Richard

They rely on ParcelFarce to distribute their goods - so heaven know how they'll fare if Royal Mail really stuff their prices.

The snag - if any - is that carriage charges escalate out of proportion if you buy lots of stuff - I tend to stock up with quantities of filters rather than one or two at a time.

It's good if folks can make an effort to buy from such people, rather than taking the line of least resistance and going to the nearest motor factor. It's a no brainer in this case as he stocks stuff that's difficult to source elsewhere, know his products, and his prices are good.

Apart from that I invariably find that stuff sent from Scotland or well-north Britain arrives here - elsewhere in darkest Sussex - a lot quicker than something from, say - Watford!