Best pay your CRT licence

bigcol

Featured Posts

Out of interest, could you quantify that tiny minority? I don't care if the source is quoted in numbers or percentage but I would like to know how tiny this minority is.

C&RT recently released some figures on their monitoring of CCers, and, state that 66% of them are failing to travel more than 12 miles per annum.

No doubt there will be a conspiracy theory about some shadowy organisation pulling the strings.

Like the Freemasons perhaps? I have known a few masons over the years and they are nice people. Like any organisation there are nice and bad people. I could have joined myself but I'm a little bit cynical about any organisation which is exclusive to some (maybe they aren't now).

No, from my life experience it's usually bitter and twisted (or selfish) individuals which cause most of the trouble. It's amazing the amount of influence one determined person can have over others. Look at Putin.

Funnily enough, the same figures as they have put out for the last two years.

The figures are slightly different from the ones used just over two years to get an additional £0.5m a year from the trustees for enforcement.

C&RT recently released some figures on their monitoring of CCers, and, state that 66% of them are failing to travel more than 12 miles per annum.

Two years ago they were suggesting that about two thirds were failing to travel six miles (10km).

However, the percentage travelling less than 5km has gone up.

It is all rather meaningless, except as a way of bullying boaters, until such time as Richard Parry states categorically how far the Trust expects boats to move in order to comply.

***** Edited to add that the figures show an increase in those without home moorings of about 1,000 in just over two years.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Sure I have read somewhere that numbers declareing CC status has risen by quite a lot.

As has the number of such boaters spending the vast majority of their time in the East End of London and a couple of other hotspots.

It would be interesting to see regional monthly snapshots of the numbers declaring CC'ing, and where they are now. I suspect that there would be 2 big collections, one in London's Eastern side, and another at the Western end of the K&A, both with large numbers of boats shuttling back and forth along a few kilometres of canal.

When I saw the CRT figures, I did wonder whether they were quoting total distance travelled or the distance between extremes, as even living on a residential mooring, I managed to cruise rather more than 20km in total last year, if I add the trips to the pub and the gas shops together, then again, bearing in mind the number of London Boaters who are always asking on Facebook when the coal/ diesel/ pump out boat's going to go past, I do wonder how far they are actually willing and able to travel.

Maybe we should have another class of boaters. The London Continuous Cruisers, whose main slogan is "How little can I get away with moving this time?"

No, from my life experience it's usually bitter and twisted (or selfish) individuals which cause most of the trouble. It's amazing the amount of influence one determined person can have over others. Look at Putin.

. . . . and Parry . . . . and that's not intended as joke. They share the characteristics and similarity in the way they operate you'd expect in any dictator, although on the PR front, Putin can't get near Parry, and doesn't even try.

As has the number of such boaters spending the vast majority of their time in the East End of London and a couple of other hotspots.

It would be interesting to see regional monthly snapshots of the numbers declaring CC'ing, and where they are now. I suspect that there would be 2 big collections, one in London's Eastern side, and another at the Western end of the K&A, both with large numbers of boats shuttling back and forth along a few kilometres of canal.

When I saw the CRT figures, I did wonder whether they were quoting total distance travelled or the distance between extremes, as even living on a residential mooring, I managed to cruise rather more than 20km in total last year, if I add the trips to the pub and the gas shops together, then again, bearing in mind the number of London Boaters who are always asking on Facebook when the coal/ diesel/ pump out boat's going to go past, I do wonder how far they are actually willing and able to travel.

Maybe we should have another class of boaters. The London Continuous Cruisers, whose main slogan is "How little can I get away with moving this time?"

interesting how you know so much about the kennet and avon without travelling more than 20km from your mooring.

or does that wild statement simply match your pre-conceptions?

I assume your making the same wild guesses about london or are you simply following the sheep pack over this one?

I'm also interested in what exactly you think the point of a coal boat is if not to deliver to boats? perhaps you think all fuel transactions should take place mid-stream

by making statements such as these you immediately become part of the problem. try a little more thought and a little less prejudice and there's a chance you could become part of the solution instead.

• Greenie 1

. . . . and Parry . . . . and that's not intended as joke. They share the characteristics and similarity in the way they operate you'd expect in any dictator, although on the PR front, Putin can't get near Parry, and doesn't even try.

The waterways are a bit like a microcosm of a perfect world. One where everyone seems to get on and enjoy the beauty without all the crap we get in the real world.

It would be a shame if any individual is allowed to press the button and spoil it for us all. Those who helped rebreathe life into the waterways would be dismayed if it was lost.

Amazingly I talk to boaters too and also have my own observations. On the western k&a for a long time there were 48hr mooring effectively stolen from the network for residential use. There were long lengths of built up bankside ideal for mooring where people would actually have the cheek to paint their boat name on the concrete to reserve "their" mooring. We have heard on this site from people who have been asked to leave visitor moorings because someone shows up and declares that according to the rota that spot is theirs for the next 14 days. There most certainly was a problem of some people almost claiming ownership of the canal. The situation is greatly improved since BW and now CaRT decided to enforce.

I do not claim that my observations nor conversations constitute any credible evidence but Bassplayer's assertion has to be challenged because it has no foundation beyond a willingness to believe that it's "them" complaining unreasonably bullying CaRT into unreasonably hassling innocent free spirits.

If there is any minority guilty of causing this flurry of enforcement it is without doubt those who took the piss way above and beyond what is close to reasonable.

Amazingly I talk to boaters too and also have my own observations. On the western k&a for a long time there were 48hr mooring effectively stolen from the network for residential use. There were long lengths of built up bankside ideal for mooring where people would actually have the cheek to paint their boat name on the concrete to reserve "their" mooring. We have heard on this site from people who have been asked to leave visitor moorings because someone shows up and declares that according to the rota that spot is theirs for the next 14 days. There most certainly was a problem of some people almost claiming ownership of the canal. The situation is greatly improved since BW and now CaRT decided to enforce.

I do not claim that my observations nor conversations constitute any credible evidence but Bassplayer's assertion has to be challenged because it has no foundation beyond a willingness to believe that it's "them" complaining unreasonably bullying CaRT into unreasonably hassling innocent free spirits.

If there is any minority guilty of causing this flurry of enforcement it is without doubt those who took the piss way above and beyond what is close to reasonable.

There are P takers at all levels. We enjoyed the K&A the year before last. We had to use pins and a plank on a few occasions. We had our pins pulled once. It was still a great experience and we're planning to do it again.

When I first started out as a CC'er I got a bit frustrated when I couldn't moor up where I wanted but over time realised the world didn't revolve around me.

interesting how you know so much about the kennet and avon without travelling more than 20km from your mooring.

or does that wild statement simply match your pre-conceptions?

I assume your making the same wild guesses about london or are you simply following the sheep pack over this one?

I'm also interested in what exactly you think the point of a coal boat is if not to deliver to boats? perhaps you think all fuel transactions should take place mid-stream

by making statements such as these you immediately become part of the problem. try a little more thought and a little less prejudice and there's a chance you could become part of the solution instead.

Greenie, especially for the last sentence.

you're like a broken record. I was talking to someone the other day about the boater ( yes. that one, not two, not twenty-two ) who painted the boat's name on a visitor mooring. it was in 2007! - that's nearly 8 years ago for those for whom time passes.

isn't it time you found someone else to vilify?

rather than trotting out the sans pathetic story every time the subject arises.

Edited by Alf Roberts

There are P takers at all levels. We enjoyed the K&A the year before last. We had to use pins and a plank on a few occasions. We had our pins pulled once. It was still a great experience and we're planning to do it again.

When I first started out as a CC'er I got a bit frustrated when I couldn't moor up where I wanted but over time realised the world didn't revolve around me.

The piss takers which as you say are at all levels, unfortunately do seem to believe the world revolves around them. Not being able to moor where you want to makes it sound like some bizarre sense of entitlement is being frustrated. Let me just point out that this is not a case of being upset when one's favourite spot is occupied, it is more a case of saying "That's a nice spot, I'll stop there sometime" and then watching for four years whilst one boat remains unmoving at that spot. Or perhaps I think I will stop on the 48hr mooring at X in order to be handy for Y and then finding the same couple of boats taking turns at mooring there for well in excess of 14 days at a time. Serious piss taking happened, it was a bloody cheek and did adversely effect others. As a CCer you will presumably be moving around and so when you see a boat where you would like to moor you don't pass often enough to realise that that boat never, ever moves and has taken ownership of that mooring.

Swerving off topic for a sec Snibbs, what is your sig all about?

Just googled "www.hell.co.uw" and it offers me 'shell.co.uk' as what it thinks I meant!

MtB

I am Satan, (agency relief)

Oh look the record is stuck again.

Are you holding a grudge or is the grudge holding you?

Oh look the record is stuck again.

Are you holding a grudge or is the grudge holding you?

Doesn't inspire confidence that any kind of sense of proportion is at work does it laugh.png

Parry as Putin. Why not go the whole hog and bring up concentration camps while you're at it? May as well be hung for a Nazi as an unreconstructed red.