Trent and Mersey stoppage

colmac

Featured Posts

EDITED TO ADD: I've just had a look through my old info, there used to be a website with the relevant info on it but its been taken down to be replaced with peelports.com and I can't find the info there. If nobody else comes up with any info, let me know and I'll post a couple of phone numbers I have for contacts at MSC Eastham.

EDITED TO ADD: I've just had a look through my old info, there used to be a website with the relevant info on it but its been taken down to be replaced with peelports.com and I can't find the info there. If nobody else comes up with any info, let me know and I'll post a couple of phone numbers I have for contacts at MSC Eastham.

I am attending a meeting this evening on this subject as I am one of many boats that have opted for the Liverpool to Weaver option

Hi I'm heading up the Shoppie and going to spend some time on the Llangollen and Weaver before going up onto the L&L via this stretch of the T&M. Currently not expecting to get to the stoppage before Easter so will be OK if it's sorted by then. My fallback plan would be to join the Manchester ship canal a Runcorn and use that to bypass the stoppage.

I've not been on the MSC so just wondered if there any special requirements or rules I need to be aware off like there are on the tidal Thames.

This may help you. It is a guide published by the owners of MSC for the transit of pleasure craft and outlines what you must do prior to passage plus a table of charges depending on your entry and exit point. It also has a list of approved folk who will do the boat survey. Rules, Bye laws etc. are also outlined.

http://peelports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/MPF3-Induction_Pack_MSC.pdf

The owner of the MSC is Peel ports.

http://peelports.com/ports/manchester/port-information

Edited by churchward

This may help you. It is a guide published by the owners of MSC for the transit of pleasure craft and outlines what you must do prior to passage plus a table of charges depending on your entry and exit point. It also has a list of approved folk who will do the boat survey. Rules, Bye laws etc. are also outlined.

http://peelports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/MPF3-Induction_Pack_MSC.pdf

The owner of the MSC is Peel ports.

http://peelports.com/ports/manchester/port-information

Thanks for that info. Having looked at the many regs and another safety inspection I think I'll give that a miss. Less hassle to go the long way round or juts wait for the canal to be sorted.

Thanks for that info. Having looked at the many regs and another safety inspection I think I'll give that a miss. Less hassle to go the long way round or juts wait for the canal to be sorted.

Yes it does seem rather daunting and not that cheap to do even for a short passage when you have paid for surveys and the like.

I imagine that is why many do it in small groups to go down together and maybe get some discount on survey and transit fees. It also looks like they prefer at least pairs of narrowboats lashed abreast on the MSC but they don't exclude the possibility for a single narrowboat passage.

I went as a single boat from the weaver to ellsemere port....having done all the paperwork etc and got all the kit....everyone on the ground was very helpful.

I'm not keen on being breasted up...the boats tend to work against each other in a swell....just ride any wake and you will be fine.

Cheers

Gareth

Maybe no news is bad news hope not

I may have misunderstood what Richard Parry said at the press briefing on Friday (due to lipreading problems!) but my understanding was that he suggested that it would definitely be open for Easter and that the cost of repair would be 'low six figures'.

Ray T was at the meeting and might be able to provide a more accurate description of what was said on the matter.

Unfortunately, CaRT did not provide any press handouts apart from a copy of 'Better Towpaths for Everyone' and a copy of the press release outlining the new (or is that restated) policy for boaters without a home mooring.

I may have misunderstood what Richard Parry said at the press briefing on Friday (due to lipreading problems!) but my understanding was that he suggested that it would definitely be open for Easter and that the cost of repair would be 'low six figures'.

Ray T was at the meeting and might be able to provide a more accurate description of what was said on the matter.

Unfortunately, CaRT did not provide any press handouts apart from a copy of 'Better Towpaths for Everyone' and a copy of the press release outlining the new (or is that restated) policy for boaters without a home mooring.

They seem to be doing their best to avoid making any announcement via the proper channels. Enquiries to Red Bull office being answered with 'we don't know', and no mention whatsoever in the 'Boater's Updates'. This is for what CRT themselves have called the 'M6 of the Waterways'.

Latest update:

Update on 16/02/2015:

We have made good progress in the last couple of weeks and are in the position where we are ready to start re-filling the canal. This will be done in a controlled way so that we can monitor the repairs and make sure that they have been totally successful.

With that in mind and provided that everything goes well, we are anticipating being able to reopen the canal at Dutton in the week commencing 23rd February and will advise of the specific date closer to the time.

Other stoppages still affect this area of the Trent & Mersey Canal and these are taking place to the published plan. More information is available on our website or by calling our office at Red Bull on 0303 040 4040.

Great news. And well done CART.

No marks for keeping us informed, though, until this morning.

Also an implicit admission that the refilling and checking was too rushed last time.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Still better they use their limited resources to actually fix the leak, rather than keeping people informed.

One thing that is not in shortage within CRT is people sitting in front of computers doing very little especially in the winter months.

Also some people need to know where they can or can not go especially over Easter if you are planning on hiring a boat. In my own case I need to book my boat in for Blacking in Norbury

Great news. And well done CART.

I think I'd be waiting to see what happens when it's full of water, and how long it lasts this time before putting the flags out. Don't forget this was a second attempt after the failure of a two year old repair job.