Narrow boat sunk on River Avon

blackrose

Featured Posts

I saw this today as I was passing through Bidford on Avon (Warwickshire Avon) which is about a mile downstream from my mooring.

The boat's been moored outside the Frog pub since last summer but I've never seen anyone on it.

A few days ago the river levels were up about 3ft higher then the current level (as shown in the photo), and it's the first time that's happened since last winter, so I suspect it wasn't moored properly even though those poles all have rings.

CAM00422_zps8e5e0bb7.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Beeston Cut is from Beeston Lock to Lenton Chain ( which was where it originally joined the Nottingham Canal ) and from Lenton Chain to Meadow Lane Lock is the remaining part of the Nottingham Canal. The junction got it's name of Lenton Chain because the Canal Company closed the navigation on Sundays by putting a chain across it there.

There's a pub through which a canal goes, isn't there? I thought that was somewhere around Nottingham.

http://www.thecanalhouse.co.uk/

http://curryandbeer.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/curryandbeer-canalhouse-interior.jpg

The canal doesn't go through it. It's just a covered wharf opposite the courts.

use to be a museum at one stage.

That's one of about 6 pubs in that area now. Canal house is one of the better ones with Fellows Morton and Claton next door.

Edited by Suzie_q

I saw this today as I was passing through Bidford on Avon (Warwickshire Avon) which is about a mile downstream from my mooring.

The boat's been moored outside the Frog pub since last summer but I've never seen anyone on it.

A few days ago the river levels were up about 3ft higher then the current level (as shown in the photo), and it's the first time that's happened since last winter, so I suspect it wasn't moored properly even though those poles all have rings.

CAM00422_zps8e5e0bb7.jpg

Back on topic!

If that boat has been sitting on that mooring since last Summer ..... why? Is it a private mooring? It looks like a visitors' one to me.

If that's the case I'd have expected the landlord of the pub to have been on the blower to CRT as his business (and his business tax/rates) will be effected by the availability of of such moorings to his clientele.

It's certainly not going to be enhanced now by the sight of a sunken boat sitting there.

Back on topic!

If that boat has been sitting on that mooring since last Summer ..... why? Is it a private mooring? It looks like a visitors' one to me.

If that's the case I'd have expected the landlord of the pub to have been on the blower to CRT as his business (and his business tax/rates) will be effected by the availability of of such moorings to his clientele.

It's certainly not going to be enhanced now by the sight of a sunken boat sitting there.

It's the pub's mooring so in that sense it's private and it's up to them who they allow to use it. I assume the boat owner had an agreement with the pub.

This is a Warwickshire Avon which is not a CRT waterway. It is an ANT visitor mooring, 48hr max.

No it isn't. It's the pub's private mooring.

Edited by blackrose

Back on topic!

Besides the fact you are completely wrong it amazes me that you are so prepared to have a go at another boater but show no concern for his loss of boat. Rather sad that this boater now has to spend a lot of money on his boat

• Greenie 1

I'm completely wrong because I don't know the area, how familiar are you with Kircaldy?

Who was I having a go at?

The loss of a boat is always tragic, just as much as owning a boat is a responsibility.

The situation is not helped or made any more understandable by total strangers getting concerned after the event.

If I know of someone in trouble I won't hesitate to assist them, I certainly wouldn't get pious about it, nor is interpreting another's words in order to be holier than thou helping anybody,

You are as pompous as your avitar suggests.

• Greenie 4

I don't think the publican will be too concerned about the availability of the pub's moorings to their clientele at the moment. Not much moves on the Avon in winter. I haven't seen any traffic go past since mid-November. I don't think some canal aficionados appreciate quite how much water levels and currents fluctuate on rivers. It's not like the canals.

I'm completely wrong because I don't know the area, how familiar are you with Kircaldy?

Who was I having a go at?

The loss of a boat is always tragic, just as much as owning a boat is a responsibility.

The situation is not helped or made any more understandable by total strangers getting concerned after the event.

If I know of someone in trouble I won't hesitate to assist them, I certainly wouldn't get pious about it, nor is interpreting another's words in order to be holier than thou helping anybody,

You are as pompous as your avitar suggests.

Feeling better now?

• Greenie 1

I seem to recollect that the visitor moorings are on the opposite bank, just downstream of the bridge and that the rather nice mooring below the Frog belongs to the pub.

ANT have a very clever scheme: all visitor moorings have the bollards/flood poles painted pale blue. It makes it very easy to distinguish between them and private moorings or lock landings.

MP.