Kedian Engineering Overplating [pics]

Featured Posts

I spent 10 consecutive 7 hours days being trained how to weld partial penetration pipe butt welds (mickey mouse stick welding) when I was an engineering apprentice. The idea being at the end of 2 weeks we could weld pipes together that passed a pressure test - not the stringent NDT testing (x Rays, crack testing) required of proper time served full penetration coded pipe welders.

After 2 weeks, I could weld just as good as just before I started - but no better. smile.png

Good quality high end welding and fabrication, executed well imo is an art form - maybe not high art, but art all the same.

Edited by mark99

I spent 10 consecutive 7 hours days being trained how to weld partial penetration pipe butt welds (mickey mouse stick welding) when I was an engineering apprentice. The idea being at the end of 2 weeks we could weld pipes together that passed a pressure test - not the stringent NDT testing (x Rays, crack testing) required of proper time served pipe welders.

After 2 weeks, I could weld just as good as just before I started - but no better. smile.png

Good quality high end welding and fabrication imo is an art form - maybe not high art, but art all the same.

I wonder if it's like plastering in that respect. I'll have a go at most construction related jobs but plastering fazes me and I know lots of guys in the building trade who say the same you can either do it or you can't. I wouldn't call it art but I think there are certain skills that can't be learned however hard you try.

Our supply comes off a transformer mounted on a pole .We share the supply with a nieghbour.(Single phase only)When his electric Aga comes on our Mig will not work! We spoke to the electricity board.They said that when the transformer catches fire they will replace it.

Our supply comes off a transformer mounted on a pole .We share the supply with a nieghbour.(Single phase only)When his electric Aga comes on our Mig will not work! We spoke to the electricity board.They said that when the transformer catches fire they will replace it.

Weld the Aga doors closed. :)

Set fire to the transformer!

The suppliers do have certain obligations regarding supply voltage, it might be worth your while investigating what these are and whether they are being met. If you haven't already done so.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

The suppliers do have certain obligations regarding supply voltage, it might be worth your while investigating what these are and whether they are being met. If you haven't already done so.

Tim

BS 7671 Appendix 2 section 14.

The UK supply 230 V +10% - 6% 216.2v to 253v.

If your voltage drops outside this you must inform your supplier and they will install a measuring device at your property. Then they will upgrade the transformer so this no longer happens.

Well done! There really is nothing like watching someone who knows what they are doing with steel! I used to be fascinated watching guys make stuff out of sheets of the stuff, its so clever.

Trouble is as said before, unfortunately some people can talk the talk but cant walk the walk. Hopefully I can now tell the difference!ninja.gif

I have another question.

Say the boat just needed the bottom plate doing, would it be done the same way ie by plonking the boat on a (presumably welded up) length of steel plate and then welding to the existing hull sides at the chine, or would it be better to overplate the hull sides at the same time?

I have another question.

Say the boat just needed the bottom plate doing, would it be done the same way ie by plonking the boat on a (presumably welded up) length of steel plate and then welding to the existing hull sides at the chine, or would it be better to overplate the hull sides at the same time?

If the hull sides are in good enough shape, there's no need to double these.

Peter.

Hi this boat only failed on th footing's 6inches up and the base plate all things considered it is better to do a full over plate to go up only 12 inches requires the same amount of welding and in a few years the upper part of the sides would need work I charged the same cost to go up above the waterline taking a boat out of the water is costly so best to get value for money

Moving on to your questions we welded the bottom plate to the old hull side before welding the side sheet's so double welding the base can be done on its own if needed but often better to take forward looking view and at least do the footings this helps with any further restoration in the future the base and sides to above the waterline and re blacking to top rubbing strip is £126 per foot of boat plus craning I hope that this answers your question please feel free to come back to me if not

Edited by Martin Kedian

Yes sorry Martin you answered the question even though I didn't explain it very well. What I was getting at is it just seemed sensible to me that rather than literally just overplate the base, you would want to create a sort of flange around the side of the hull from the base up, what you describe as the footings.

My last boat had at some point had these footings reinforced by overplating, even though the baseplate was untouched, so it seemed obvious to me that you would do the same on a boat that was getting a new bottom.

But if you are going to do that, as you say the labour involved in overplating to the waterline is about the same, even if the material costs are greater. That was what I wanted to know.

It's why I've always concluded there's no point in just overplating the base of an old boat, unless there's an issue with draught that can't be sorted out by adjusting ballast you might as well do the sides at the same time.

Edited by Neil2

My thoughts to the surveyor can only point out what has failed ie the minimum required on a boat Where I differ is that I will recommend the best course to take this boat will now be good for the next 20 years at no extra cost than just doing the footings I also strip back to bare steel and paint with two pack epoxy paint

Edited by Martin Kedian