Wind & Smoke

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

Yes, a longer chimney should help. We used to get blowbacks from our Rayburn at home when the wind was in a certain direction. Now we have a chimney about six feet longer and the problem has been eliminated.

Thanks for the info.

'Odd' is a relative term and sometimes it relates to a couple a minute, which, although it doesn't get foggy, I find a bit much.

Looks like I'll be investing in a taller one.

Cheers,

T.

Fair enough. I only suffer with a small 'puff' of no more than a second or two at most. Only a slight inconvenience

If you look at lots of the ex working boats they use a liner extension in their cabin stove chimneys

In my day (old man muttering) we extended the chimney height but cutting up tin cans.

However that was more for keeping it out of your eyes while on the move.

Greetings to all.

In the recent high winds, I have been getting the odd puff of smoke blown back into the boat through the stove.

Is this usual and would a taller chimney or coolie hat help?

The existing chimney is only about 12".

Cheers,

T.

. Get a bird from smokey joe it just sits in the top of the chimney and spins round so it's back is always into the wind,it stops all the blow back smoke stops tar dripping all over the place and increases the draw of your fire greatly I personaly think it's one of the best things I've added to my boat, and I've added lots

. Get a bird from smokey joe it just sits in the top of the chimney and spins round so it's back is always into the wind,it stops all the blow back smoke stops tar dripping all over the place and increases the draw of your fire greatly I personaly think it's one of the best things I've added to my boat, and I've added lots

I think if I put my bird on top of the chimney, blow back would be the least of my problems ;)

• Greenie 1

I have a sheet of s/s about 2ft long and wide enough to fit nicely into the top of the chimney when rolled up appropriately.

I put this in the chimney when moored up and remove it if going boating where bridges may be too low for it.

This extends the chimney enough to stop blow back and improves the general draw of the fire.

I never use a hat on the chimney as in the past when we did it always caused tarry drips of condensate on the roof, spoiling our paintwork. We very very rarely get any rain down the chimney even so.

I have a sheet of s/s about 2ft long and wide enough to fit nicely into the top of the chimney when rolled up appropriately.

I put this in the chimney when moored up and remove it if going boating where bridges may be too low for it.

This extends the chimney enough to stop blow back and improves the general draw of the fire.

I never use a hat on the chimney as in the past when we did it always caused tarry drips of condensate on the roof, spoiling our paintwork. We very very rarely get any rain down the chimney even so.

Agree, extra length improves draw and coolie hats are specifically designed to cause tarry drips and stains on the roof. Never had a problem by not having mine on.

Phil

Thanks for the info.

'Odd' is a relative term and sometimes it relates to a couple a minute, which, although it doesn't get foggy, I find a bit much.

Looks like I'll be investing in a taller one.

And possibly a CO alarm, unless you already have one.

While you can see and smell the smoke, its the CO as on one of the constituents of the combustion gases that you need to be very cautious about.

High winds can also cause over-firing - the opposite effect - when the draw increases raising combustion temperatures to dangerous levels.

Stoves can be tricky things in very windy weather and a close eye should be kept on them when lit.

And possibly a CO alarm, unless you already have one.

While you can see and smell the smoke, its the CO as on one of the constituents of the combustion gases that you need to be very cautious about.

High winds can also cause over-firing - the opposite effect - when the draw increases raising combustion temperatures to dangerous levels.

Stoves can be tricky things in very windy weather and a close eye should be kept on them when lit.

A CO alarm was virtually the first thing I bought when I moved aboard. I was quite surprised that, although the boat was pretty much fully equipped, there was no alarm.

Cheers,

T.