Oxford Canal Location ?

bookworm

Featured Posts

Top picture

Grants Lock?

Second picture

Is it Little Bourton Lock?

The lock cottage there now may be a more modern replacement ?

Don't know just a couple of guesses :)

Actually little bourton looks to have been extended so maybe its an original one but the new bricks are the extension

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=little+bourton+lock&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4daKVO_TKuep7AbNoYGwCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1280&bih=645#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=aujE_huR_2BL5M%253A%3BRvd3lPUD3z8aXM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.the-oxford-canal.co.uk%252FOxford-Canal%252FLittle-Bourton-Lock.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.the-oxford-canal.co.uk%252FOxford-Canal-Banbury.html%3B726%3B544

I think it's on the wrong side of the canal for Little Boughton lock cottage. The suggestion above that it's at Claydon Top is a strong possibility; this building was the Oxford Canal Company's local HQ and workshop. There are similarities with the present building, but also differences, so I don't think the case is proven yet.

The first one could indeed be Cropredy Lock, though there is a house on the right below the lock which looks quite old, and which is not evident in the photo.

Marvellously atmospheric photos wherever they are, thank you very much for posting them.

Edited by Athy

Maybe its printed back to front. The towingpath and cottage are the right side for Claydon top but I think it may be to tall edit

How about Maston Doles Top Lock

I'm probably wrong but for Marston Doles Top:-

• The house is set well back from the canal
  • You'd see the lock landing under the bridge clearly
  • The canal is quite narrow a t the vantage point,
  • The cut is quite curved at the point where the photo is taken.

I think it's on the wrong side of the canal for Little Boughton lock cottage. The suggestion above that it's at Claydon Top is a strong possibility; this building was the Oxford Canal Company's local HQ and workshop. There are similarities with the present building, but also differences, so I don't think the case is proven yet.

The first one could indeed be Cropredy Lock, though there is a house on the right below the lock which looks quite old, and which is not evident in the photo.

Marvellously atmospheric photos wherever they are, thank you very much for posting them.

Quite right Athy :)

I haven't been for donkeys ears so can't really remember anyway. Nice pictures though :)

I'm probably wrong but for Marston Doles Top:-

• The house is set well back from the canal
  • You'd see the lock landing under the bridge clearly
  • The canal is quite narrow a t the vantage point,
  • The cut is quite curved at the point where the photo is taken.

Please clarify, for I am slow of study: does your post mean that you do think it is Marston Doles (you say "For Marston Doles") or that you don't?

I don't. The canal is far wider above the top lock.

Surly this photo is taken from below the lock looking uphill.

If you mean the Marston Doles? one, no, the canal would bend the other way after the lock.

As anyone got good enough eyesight to see if the bottom gates are single (south of Banbury) or double (north)?

An astute observation, but, er, no - and if one tries to blow the picture up for a better look, the definition goes fuzzy and one just sees "lock on a foggy day".

Doesn't the part of the cottage (and roof) at Clayton Top nearest the camera run at more or less a right angle to the water? Also the distance between the garden wall and cottage seems significantly less in the photograph.

I agree very atmospheric photos.

Frank

Frank, as you moor even more locally to Claydon than I do (that's you in Justice's old dock, isn't it?) I am inclined to think that your observation is right - unless perhaps the fence or wall is further back in the photo than it is now, making the house look further forward.

So, we have:

Picture 1: probably Cropredy Lock,

Picture 2: might be Marston Doles, might be Claydon top, but probably neither.

The plot thickens.

If you mean the Marston Doles? one, no, the canal would bend the other way after the lock.

An astute observation, but, er, no - and if one tries to blow the picture up for a better look, the definition goes fuzzy and one just sees "lock on a foggy day".

A Claude Monet?

I've a hunch that it's the same lock in both pictures and it's both Grants

The current 2 story house is a relitively modern design (in terms of the age of the canal) and it could well have been a single story house originally?

I'm not convinced by the Cropredy theory as there's no other buildings around it

Frank, as you moor even more locally to Claydon than I do (that's you in Justice's old dock, isn't it?) I am inclined to think that your observation is right - unless perhaps the fence or wall is further back in the photo than it is now, making the house look further forward.

So, we have:

Picture 1: probably Cropredy Lock,

Picture 2: might be Marston Doles, might be Claydon top, but probably neither.

The plot thickens.

It could even be demolished by now like Napton top lock cottage

a hunch that it's the same lock in both pictures and it's both Grants

The current 2 story house is a relitively modern design (in terms of the age of the canal) and it could well have been a single story house originally?

I'm not convinced by the Cropredy theory as there's no other buildings around it

I also think that both photos show Grants Lock.

It's definitely not Cropredy lock, Claydon top lock or Marston Doles top lock.