Going to London.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

How does turning into Limehouse from the Thames compare with turning into Selby from the Ouse? I've done the latter and it was a bit scary.

I've been wondering along those lines too.

From what I've read the problem with entering Limehouse is crossing the river from the south to north bank, before turning into the lock. There is traffic on the river to dodge coupled with a poor line of sight as the river bends here. I think I've read advice about contacting VTS on the VHF to check the coast (as it were) is clear.

I've only made the turn into Selby lock once. Yes, I was quite very apprehensive about it but at least I knew I was the only boat in that part of the river at the time.

I've been wondering along those lines too.

From what I've read the problem with entering Limehouse is crossing the river from the south to north bank, before turning into the lock. There is traffic on the river to dodge coupled with a poor line of sight as the river bends here. I think I've read advice about contacting VTS on the VHF to check the coast (as it were) is clear.

I've only made the turn into Selby lock once. Yes, I was quite very apprehensive about it but at least I knew I was the only boat in that part of the river at the time.

Here is an extract from the guidance I mentioned earlier. I have not tried the torpedo approach myself....

Calling VTS is a good idea - not so much to ask permission, but to let everyone else in the area know what you are doing. Watch out for clippers coming upstream from Canary Wharf pier (on the north/left bank).

I've found the link to the photo album that RichardN mentioned earlier. Here it is. (SG comes around the corner at No 43, with a bit of left rudder later on to counteract the Eddy).

There is a little eddy entering the lock layby from the RIver at Limehouse. The lock keeper may tell you about it over the ship to shore but its not really that bad. I have seen a fairly small dutch barge slam into the wall once but its really not a big problem if you concentrate. It is nice to have a litlte bit of extra power to help with stemming the current and easing the boat round into the lock layby. Get the front of the boat in the right place and its ok you can use the engine to lever the back end a bit. get the front in the wrong place and you're done for. always have an escape route ie line up the boat so you can go back into the main river if you feel you have the wrong line and try again.

I have not been on the Ouse in Selby.

I turn the boat right round and line the boat up just downstream of the lock entrance, lined up directly against the tide, then creep forward and "lever" her across the eddy into the layby when the moment is right. 58x12ft barge with 90 hp engine so I've got enough power and its a very maneouverable boat. can be a bit more tricky in a long narrow boat but not a problem really unless you are underpowered.

Edited by magnetman

I've found the link to the photo album that RichardN mentioned earlier. Here it is. (SG comes around the corner at No 43, with a bit of left rudder later on to counteract the Eddy).

No not yours, you nail it so that is not interesting!

There is a great set on that link from photo 63 onwards:

* They did not nail the start of the turn, I have seen that happen on several occasions and others have had to abort, go around and try again or have a close encounter with the wall under the Narrows pub, but not these guys.

* From photo 71 onwards there is a really nice bit of skill, they realise they have fluffed the turn, very quickly worked out what to do, they balance themselves against the flow, swivel round very very neatly and absolutely nail it.

* Great driving, looked really impressive.

I don't do facebook so I am not sure if Sue has put up the photos of some of the interesting failures.

We have yet to get to Selby but I would say that Limehouse needs a bit more concentration then West Stockwith, is that a useful comparison? I should also add that at Limehouse the wall gets a few knocks, there are a few brown trouser moments but we moored there for several years and have never seen a boat get into real trouble, Lock keeper Jeremy is sadly no longer there as a Lock Keeper but he had very few accounts of people getting into trouble and most of those seemed to be when people tried to do the torpedo turn from upstream [1]. Do your homework, be prepared, go out and enjoy the tideway. If you have never done it before then it will be the highlight of your cruising year.

I always torpedo straight in, and I have never hit the walls.

You start crossing the river a long way upstream. So before you can even see into the lock mouth you are already 2/3s the way across the river, with the boat completely sideways to the flow. Then you assess the speed of your downstream drift and apply the power so that the bow enters the lock mouth just as you sweep past. Hammer in on full power and when the boat is half-way in slam the rudder on to the right with full power to counteract the eddy. The boat lurches and then it is all calm. Easy!

I think the 'torpeedo' approach sounds more exciting but it does mean that having the reserve power "hammer it on full power" is essential to perform the maneouvre and that anything happening in the intervening time like a prop foul would mean you are going to probably hit that wall. On the contrary if you line up below and push up into the tide you are testing the engine's power reserve and propulsion effectiveness without relying on it completely and you also have the opportunity to drop out of the maneouver right up until the last few seconds which is a basic and very important feature of boat handling imo - keep your options open because unexpected things can happen :) I suppose I'm a bit biased because hitting the wall would be quite serious in my boat with 2 small infants on it so I tend to take things more cautiously.

I think the 'torpeedo' approach sounds more exciting but it does mean that having the reserve power "hammer it on full power" is essential to perform the maneouvre and that anything happening in the intervening time like a prop foul would mean you are going to probably hit that wall. On the contrary if you line up below and push up into the tide you are testing the engine's power reserve and propulsion effectiveness without relying on it completely and you also have the opportunity to drop out of the maneouver right up until the last few seconds which is a basic and very important feature of boat handling imo - keep your options open because unexpected things can happen :) I suppose I'm a bit biased because hitting the wall would be quite serious in my boat with 2 small infants on it so I tend to take things more cautiously.

We 'accidentally' did the torpedo method on Fulbourne once and I can honestly say that it the most frightening experience of my boating life!

Tim

Don't forget to sound your horn before your turn into the stream, like all good mariners should. 4 hoots, then two, I think. Means 'I am about to turn round 180 degrees to port'.

Learn all the other sound signals too, or print them out and keep them at the helm with your bridge guide.

When I exited Limehouse Lock onto the River last summer I sounded my French train horn (air compressed to 100psi, released direct from an old fire extinguisher through rubber hose (aka LOUD) and got a round of applause from all the people sitting outside the Narrow.

Doubt the clippers and tugs heard it but it sounded good in the lock entrance smile.png

edoted typo

Edited by magnetman

Don't forget to sound your horn before your turn into the stream, like all good mariners should. 4 hoots, then two, I think. Means 'I am about to turn round 180 degrees to port'.

Learn all the other sound signals too, or print them out and keep them at the helm with your bridge guide.

You need to revisit the sound signals book, If you turn 180 degrees to port you will be heading back into the lock :-)

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

You need to revisit the sound signals book, If you turn 180 degrees to port you will be heading back into the lock :-)

Tim

I'm talking about going downstream. The 180 degree turn is to cross to the other side of the river, returning to the lock entrance against the flow.

Good sound signal guide here

http://s189482764.websitehome.co.uk/pt/midshipman/pages/colmnemss.html

I do a single long blast exiting Limehouse, that seems to be the closest option as it is a 'blind bend' in a way unsure.png

That's correct. Its also the signal for joining a main channel from the side.

Right, I'm still looking into this but I'm a bit confused about licencing. I gather I would need a temporary licence to go on the Thames as my standard licence doesn't cover it. The info I've found so far suggests that I need to apply for this ten days in advance, and need to specify the date(s) of transit. However, I won't know this until I get there, as I could be delayed on the way down. I appreciate that I could buy a seven-day licence but is it possible to obtain a one-day licence on the day?

Right, I'm still looking into this but I'm a bit confused about licencing. I gather I would need a temporary licence to go on the Thames as my standard licence doesn't cover it. The info I've found so far suggests that I need to apply for this ten days in advance, and need to specify the date(s) of transit. However, I won't know this until I get there, as I could be delayed on the way down. I appreciate that I could buy a seven-day licence but is it possible to obtain a one-day licence on the day?

Yes and if you buy it at 9am in the morning it covers you for that day and the next one. buy it at the first Thames lock you come to

If you come in at Oxford you can buy a 1 day, a 7 day, or a 31 day visitor license at the first lock you arrive at. At least thats how it has always worked - never heard about applying in advance for a V license unsure.png but the system is fairly complicated. I have had gold licenses in the past but the last 3 years we have bought a 31 day from Teddington, on the day we turn up below Teddington lock.

If you like to get on with it and you come off the Oxford early in a morning you might be able to get down to teddington on 2 one day licenses, but I'd recommend a 7 day visitor license as there are so many places to stop on the River and its a shame to waste the opportunity smile.png and don't forget most if not all of the locks will be on public power til quite late at night or possibly all night (?) so you can carry on after the lock keepers have gone off duty.

Edited by magnetman

I would be planning on coming down the GU from Brinklow, going along the Regent's Canal, entering the Thames at Limehouse and going to Brentford. I presume I could get a licence at Limehouse?

Also, I would prefer to make the trip in convoy with at least one other boat if possible, although I would do it on my own if needs be. In early July, would it be likely that there would be narrowboats making this trip daily, or would that be a comparatively occasional occurrence?

I would be planning on coming down the GU from Brinklow, going along the Regent's Canal, entering the Thames at Limehouse and going to Brentford. I presume I could get a licence at Limehouse?

Also, I would prefer to make the trip in convoy with at least one other boat if possible, although I would do it on my own if needs be. In early July, would it be likely that there would be narrowboats making this trip daily, or would that be a comparatively occasional occurrence?

You don't need a licence for that. You do need VHF

Edited by ditchcrawler

It'll be an occasional occurrence. Based low tide at London Bridge, which is often at night.

You don't need a licence for that. You do need VHF

That's also my thinking, but wasn't sure enough to state it. I've always arrived from Oxford with a planned return, so I was always licensed on the Tideway. Don't think you have to be.

Yes it is, from Limehouse to Brentford.

are you sure about that? There used to be a length limit where you didn't need VHF on PLA water, up to 13.7 metres I think it was, but it may have been changed recently I suppose.