How much under the asking price do you offer?

Jen_P

Featured Posts

I loved Moytirra!

I loved the moorings too.

I didn't buy her in the end because of one or two comments on here but also because I am weird about "nooks and crannies" and she has one or two odd little bits!

But she did have a washing machine, freezer, wardrobe and apparently there was a tumble dryer so there's room for one!

hummm I will definitely go visit i think, Hubs was quite concerned we wouldn't have a freezer on the boat (we eat ALOT of fish fingers....)

ETA - I am wondering if we could live on a sub 50ft boat... mostly because Hubs and I work opposite hours of the day so aren't often under one another feet as it where, and we both work weekends.

Hmmm, maybe "his" and "hers" Springer Water Bugs? A floating version of what the Yanks call a duplex.

Yes, I was joking.

Mrs. Athy and I do not live on Trojan, but even the most devoted couples have moments when they're both at home but one of them "Wants to be alone", and I know that our 45-footer would not really allow the space for that unless one of us had a REAL sulk and cleared off to bed!

Edited by Athy

Hmmm, maybe "his" and "hers" Springer Water Bugs?

Yes, I was joking.

Mrs. Athy and I do not live on Trojan, but even the most devoted couples have moments when they're both at home but one of them "Wants to be alone", and I know that our 45-footer would not really allow the space for that unless one of us had a REAL sulk and cleared off to bed!

I thought you went to the pub if you were having a sulk? haha fair point, I do think we don't need much bigger than 55ft, a couple we've looked at were just too big for us, especially when you take into account mooring fees at Caversham, we don't want to pay for space we won't use, similarly, we need to make sure our marriage lasts more than just 1 year!!

hummm I will definitely go visit i think, Hubs was quite concerned we wouldn't have a freezer on the boat (we eat ALOT of fish fingers....)

I can't live without a freezer! But you can buy little table top freezers so if all else fails, I'll do that!

,but even the most devoted couples have moments when they're both at home but one of them "Wants to be alone", and I know that our 45-footer would not really allow the space for that unless one of us had a REAL sulk and cleared off to bed!

One of the advantages of living on a 66' x 16'6" barge !!! smile.png (plus that there are 2 steel watertight doors that make the most satisfactory "BANG") mad.gif

We picked ours up for 17% under the original asking price, but it had been for sale for 18 months and the license & mooring fees were both due for renewal a month after we bought it. And we bought her up norf and had her road hauled down south. We did find that you tended to get more for your money on northern WB boats, or at the time we were looking at least.

I wouldn't be without my freezer - but then again I no longer have a car for quick frequent trips to the grocery store either.

We paid the asking price for ours, and kept our fingers crossed that the owner didn't get a better offer. We would have paid up to around 20% more than the asking price if it had become competitive.

There is no right amount to offer below the asking price - it actually depends on the asking price :)

If you look at enough boats, perhaps missing a few because you didn't offer enough, or weren't quick enough, you will know how much to offer.

I have said this before and wonder whether i am alone, but I get really fed up with this "offer the lowest prioce you think you can get away with" attitude. Unfortunately it is advice like that which is forcing sellers to up theri price, in the hope that they get an offer which is close to what they actually want, but many will feel uncomfortable during the process. One day we will need to sell our boat, and when we do we will ask what it is worth, and anyone trying silly offers will be politely told that the asking price is what we will accept, and if they do not agree the discussion will end..

When we bought our boat the owner was selling several other boats in his fleet. When one person offered a silly price the owner said nothing, he just turned round went into his shed, and closed the door. Fortunately for the buyer, the seller's wife was also there and she suggested that if he was to agree to pay the asking price, he would get the boat. he got the ba

Edited by David Schweizer

I have said this before and wonder whether i am alone, but I get really fed up with this "offer the lowest prioce you think you can get away with" attitude. Unfortunately it is advice like that which is forcing sellers to up theri price, in the hope that they get an offer which is close to what they actually want, but many will feel uncomfortable during the process. One day we will need to sell our boat, and when we do we will ask what it is worth, and anyone trying silly offers will be politely told that the asking price is what we will accept, and if they do not agree the discussion will end..

When we bought our boat the owner was selling several other boats in his fleet. When one person offered a silly price the owner said nothing, he just turned round went into his shed, and closed the door. Fortunately for the buyer, the seller's wife was also there and she suggested that if he was to agree to pay the asking price, he would get the boat. he got the ba

Perhaps you are happy paying more than you need to for goods but some of us don't.

There are lots of boats out there that are wholly overpriced. Would you pay the asking price for one of those?

Boats priced sensibly will always sell. Boats overpriced have a habit of lingering around for months or years at a time at which point the seller accepts a low offer.

Perhaps you are happy paying more than you need to for goods but some of us don't.

There are lots of boats out there that are wholly overpriced. Would you pay the asking price for one of those?

Boats priced sensibly will always sell. Boats overpriced have a habit of lingering around for months or years at a time at which point the seller accepts a low offer.

The point is that a boat is only worth as much as someone will pay for it.

What an owner may believe a boat is worth is irrelevant if nobody else thinks so

Irrespective of what price is advertised offer below what you think it worth and what you would be prepared to pay, say 10 or 15%.

If the reaction is a blank "No" then walk away. If you get a counter offer even if it is more than you want to pay, start haggling

My boat was advertised at £25,000 and I ended up paying £23,160 for it which I thought was a reasonable amount to negotiate off of the asking price, especially as the surveyor subsequently valued it at £27,000- £28,000. How much to negotiate off of the price really depends on how reasonably you think it's been priced in the first place, and how much you want that particular boat. To be honest, had the seller of mine refused to come down from the asking price, then I would have paid it.

I have said this before and wonder whether i am alone, but I get really fed up with this "offer the lowest prioce you think you can get away with" attitude. Unfortunately it is advice like that which is forcing sellers to up theri price, in the hope that they get an offer which is close to what they actually want, but many will feel uncomfortable during the process.

It's a view, but I can see no logic that makes it more appropriate to blame buyers than sellers.

It is surely equally valid to suggest many sellers have an inflated view of the value of their boat or are trying it on.

Can you prove which side have driven the current trend? Sellers being optimistic or greedy, or buyers trying to get an over discounted bargain?

What makes you think that. The boat we bought was not overpriced, if anything it was underpriced, something the owner subsequently realized, all 13 boats in the fleet were sold at asking price within a few weeks of them being put on the market.

It's a view, but I can see no logic that makes it more appropriate to blame buyers than sellers.

It is surely equally valid to suggest many sellers have an inflated view of the value of their boat or are trying it on.

Can you prove which side have driven the current trend? Sellers being optimistic or greedy, or buyers trying to get an over discounted bargain?

I can't "prove" anything but I can make a reasoned assesment, which I have already stated in the first sentence of my earlier post. If people routinely try and haggle the price downwards, sellers will inflate their asking price to accomodate the expected discount. It started years ago with house prices and has migrated to boats.

If people routinely try and haggle the price downwards, sellers will inflate their asking price to accomodate the expected discount.

If people routinely inflate their asking price, buyers will try and haggle the price downwards to accommodate the overpricing.

You are arguing this as if there was such a thing as a "proper price" for a boat, but there isn't as I said earlier a second hand boat is only worth what someone will pay for it.

A new boat has a fixed value (cost + profit margin) but a second hand has no such base line, If no one wants it is actually has a negative value as it is still costing you money to keep!

When you price a boat to sell you ask what you think it is worth, (if you are honest, you ask what you would be prepared to pay plus a little for haggling room) but this is no guarantee that anyone else would pay that.

I don't get involved in bidding wars no. if someone wants it they can have it, there'll be another, cheaper one along soon.

ebay is a good way of getting more than something is worth when two people really really won't let go.

It's also a great way of getting a bargain when something has been overlooked by others.

If people routinely inflate their asking price, buyers will try and haggle the price downwards to accommodate the overpricing.

I was actually suggesting the complete opposite. When we bought our boat, most were realisticly priced, and it was normal to offer something close to the asking price unless an expensive fault, which was not reflected in the price, was identified during the survey. Nowadays it seems to be normal practice to try and force the price down irrespective of the value of the boat. This selfish and time wasting behaviour appears to have persuaded many sellers to enhance their asking price in order to counter people insatiable desire for a "bargain" So yes, I concede that you are, regretfully, correct, but it really is a chicken and egg scenario, from which we will now find difficu;t to escape.

It's quite simple really.

seller wants as much as he can get .

Buyer wants it for as little as possible. The middle ground is the fair price .

That may be your practice, but some of us believe in asking a sensible price when selling something. I have recently sold three oil lamps though the forum, they all sold within hours of the advert being posted, Not one of the buyers tried to knock me down, hopefully because they realized that I was asking a fair price.

An alternative hypothesis to the one being promoted by yourself could be :- If you want to sell it, don't overprice it. That is quite a simple philosophy as well, and one that works.

That may be your practice, but some of us believe in asking a sensible price when selling something. I have recently sold three oil lamps though the forum, they all sold within hours of the advert being posted, Not one of the buyers tried to knock me down, hopefully because they realized that I was asking a fair price.

An alternative hypothesis to the one being promoted by yourself could be :- If you want to sell it, don't overprice it. That is quite a simple philosophy as well, and one that works.

That is not my practice, I was generalising as that is the way it seems to work.

I have sold a fair few things in my time and always price things realistically.