new danger, WHO global report on kids swimming lessons. H&S global warning

matty40s

Featured Posts

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/79073000/jpg/_79073012_94414924.jpg

Darwin effect is not considered, floods are not counted.

I do agree that schools nowadays in this country do not teach swimming like they did when I was a kid.

Kids nowadays arent allowed the freedom they were when I grew up jumping off the sea wall at blackpool into the waves.

My daughter has had two swimming sessions with school since she was 11, she is now 15.

Luckily, I have taught her how to snorkel, canoe, and swim under water, how many kids don't have that.?

scary really.

• Greenie 1

Grew up in Cornwall. Even my primary school had its own swimming pool. Went to the beach every summer. Had swimming lessons. Went to the local pool in Games classes at school - hated it. Still can't swim.

Now I live on a boat (not under it)

Edited by BlueStringPudding

When I learnt to swim it was at Orwell street baths near Grimsby docks.

A lovely fresh wind off the humber blowing fish smell over the open air pool with outside changing rooms (with yellow oilskins for doors )

Life was good then.

Both my daughters were lucky in that they went to a primary school that actually had its own covered swimming pool, or rather it did until the LA closed it for h&s reasons.

But doesn't teaching kids to swim come into the realms of the responsibility of parents/guardians?

Sometimes I think we expect too much of the state.

As a kid I was spoilt, seaside at Blackpool for half the year plus swimming in the lake district and scottish lakes and beaches.

We used to use bags to slide down the green weed on the sea walls into the sea. Tide came in and it was normal to ignore the sea patrol and continue swimming.

I had an Olympic swimming baths along with another 8 pools in Blackpool, plus the famous Outdoor Pool(with it's black sea water, demolished and converted into the Sandcastle fun pool.)

Swimming came as part of education for most of us over 30/40, indeed it was encouraged, with swimming clubs etc.

My kids(step lads and daughter ) have had diminishing swimming lessons over the last 15 years, every second term, twice a year, then less.

My daughter has had probably 10 swimming lessons within the education framework within 3 years.

Of course I have taken her swimming, and canooeing, etc, but is that really the point......?

There are lots of parents who already can't, who therefore won't.

It's the same with everything, kids can't play conkers, my kids would drop a sweet and people would say, "Don't pick it up!" I'd say. " Pick it up and eat it, you need a peck of dirt before you die!" My kids have always been healthy lil critters! ;o)

Not easy if the parents can't swim though....

Mine couldn't.

Many recreation centres do courses on swimming lessons with a qualified instructor, parents could book their kids onto these if they can't swim themselves. I dare say, adult swimming lessons also exist too.

Not easy if the parents can't swim though....

Mine couldn't.

But these days it's possible (though I agree not easy) to find either proper lessons or if not somebody (family/friend) willing to do it for you, preferably the former. The responsibility doesn't have to extend to doing it personally.

These are the ones local to me by way of example.

http://www.everyoneactive.com/Centre/Loftus-Leisure-Centre/87/Activities

My wife is a primary school teacher and they are lucky enough to have a swimming pool in the local secondary school just a few minutes walk away, so they do teach swimming. They also take various year groups to a weekend adventure camp and to Calshot on the Solent where they have sea related activities.

However you would not believe the issues involved in doing any kind of outdoor activity with children nor the costs involved. Try booking a coach for 30 children and at least 6 staff.

Even something as simple as swimming there have to be the correct ratio of adults to children, some of whom have to be trained life guards. Parents have to give permission in writing and you would be surprised at how wimpish lots of the parents are. The kids are usually up for it, the parents are the problem.

If they didn't have the local school pool, they would have to hire coaches to go to the nearest public swimming pool, who do you think pays for that, the schools do not have a budget for it.

Last week the children in my wife's year were learning to make homemade bread, the school does not have any equipment so the teachers have to supply it from home.

The government is really good at adding things to the school curriculum but not very good at providing the money to pay for it.

Ken

Rant, on behalf of my wife, over.

Ken

My wife is a primary school teacher and they are lucky enough to have a swimming pool in the local secondary school just a few minutes walk away, so they do teach swimming. They also take various year groups to a weekend adventure camp and to Calshot on the Solent where they have sea related activities.

However you would not believe the issues involved in doing any kind of outdoor activity with children nor the costs involved. Try booking a coach for 30 children and at least 6 staff.

Even something as simple as swimming there have to be the correct ratio of adults to children, some of whom have to be trained life guards. Parents have to give permission in writing and you would be surprised at how wimpish lots of the parents are. The kids are usually up for it, the parents are the problem.

If they didn't have the local school pool, they would have to hire coaches to go to the nearest public swimming pool, who do you think pays for that, the schools do not have a budget for it.

Last week the children in my wife's year were learning to make homemade bread, the school does not have any equipment so the teachers have to supply it from home.

The government is really good at adding things to the school curriculum but not very good at providing the money to pay for it.

Ken

Rant, on behalf of my wife, over.

Ken

Best if we adopt the Egyptian education system.

:)

My mum and dad sent us to the local pool on our own from early age...couldn't swim some random person who we met there taught us after I got into trouble out of my depth. I hated swimming, still do.

My kids all had swimming lessons starting at junior school and all learnt to swim very well.

When the kids were at school all children had swimming lessons as part of curriculum.

My son in law is surfing/water polo fanatic and my grand daughter was introduced to swimming pool at 2 weeks and taken regularly ever since.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/79073000/jpg/_79073012_94414924.jpg

Darwin effect is not considered, floods are not counted.

I do agree that schools nowadays in this country do not teach swimming like they did when I was a kid.

Kids nowadays arent allowed the freedom they were when I grew up jumping off the sea wall at blackpool into the waves.

My daughter has had two swimming sessions with school since she was 11, she is now 15.

Luckily, I have taught her how to snorkel, canoe, and swim under water, how many kids don't have that.?

scary really.

Some would take that as proof that the Darwin theory is bunkum.

I couldn't possibly comment.smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

Both my daughters were lucky in that they went to a primary school that actually had its own covered swimming pool, or rather it did until the LA closed it for h&s reasons.

But doesn't teaching kids to swim come into the realms of the responsibility of parents/guardians?

Sometimes I think we expect too much of the state.

My parents taught me to swim at the age of 6 or 7, in the North Sea. Not a flotation aid in sight.

(spelling)

Edited by Machpoint005

There are lots of parents who already can't, who therefore won't.

My parents don't swim. When I was a kid we didn't have a car either or much money so certainly wouldn't have been taken on the bus to the nearest swimming pool which was about 15 miles away. Beach was 3 or 4 miles away but a non swimmer teaching another non swimmer how to swim in the Cornish breakers and rip tides was unlikely too. :P As a result neither my brother or I are particularly interested in swimming and certainly wouldn't want to go to a pool as a leisure activity, it's just not something we've ever done and so we don't miss it.

Can't quite make any sense of the heading to this thread relating to its content, was it humour?

Regarding swimming in the UK, it all rather I think it all rather depended upon where you lived when I was a lad as to whether or not you learned to swim at school (I didn't). In my year at school in North London back in the 1960's the non-swimmers were the majority and, since the teaching methods were not particularly good, not much changed on the occasional times we had school swimming lessons. Perhaps those living nearer to the sea had a better chance of learning to swim but where I lived there weren't that many opportunities to drown anywhere so learning to swim wasn't a particularly high priority. I couldn't swim (I can now) parents couldn't swim and sister couldn't swim.