Vintage Solid Brass Lock Key or Windlass ?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Are any windlasses made of cast iron? Wouldn't it be too brittle and the one in the photo seems to have a bent handle?

My favourite use all the time windlass is cast. You can see the print of the moulding sand and where the sprues have been ground off. It has two squares and operates all the gear that I have applied it to except the stupid swing bridge at Sheffield Victoria Quays. I see the point about cast iron, though. Peerhaps mine is cast steel. I have dropped in on the concrete a few times without ill effects.

Yes, many of the standard windlasses used on hire boats over a large number of years were just cast iron.

Yes. The windlass anorak lock keeper at the Bratch tol me that it was from a hire boat.

My favourite use all the time windlass is cast. You can see the print of the moulding sand and where the sprues have been ground off. It has two squares and operates all the gear that I have applied it to except the stupid swing bridge at Sheffield Victoria Quays. I see the point about cast iron, though. Peerhaps mine is cast steel. I have dropped in on the concrete a few times without ill effects.

I think the 'cast' windlasses will generally be steel rather than iron. Cast iron would be too brittle, and in any case a magnet wouldn't pick them up very well when you drop them in ;)

Tim

• 1 year later...

They were getting silly money on ebay for a bit iirc one went for about £150 or something ridiculous rolleyes.gif

Got this off eBay £26, last week.

It has lots of "dings" and looks well used. I have contacted to seller to ask of any history.

I don't think it is a Boatman's copy of a Neal as the head is different.

It looks similar to a Neal but doesn't have the arrow. It is not brass but an alloy of some sort. The colour is more bright gold than a Boatman's.

With a Boatmans one.

I found it in an obscure advert.

ETA from seller:

New message from: nouveau4you (121iconTealStar_25x25.gif) no mate had it1975 it was not new then johney

Edited by Ray T

Got this off eBay £26, last week.

DSCF2997.JPG

It has lots of "dings" and looks well used. I have contacted to seller to ask of any history.

I don't think it is a Boatman's copy of a Neal as the head is different.

It looks similar to a Neal but doesn't have the arrow. It is not brass but an alloy of some sort. The colour is more bright gold than a Boatman's.

With a Boatmans one.

DSCF2998.JPG

I found it in an obscure advert.

ETA from seller:

New message from: nouveau4you (121iconTealStar_25x25.gif) no mate had it1975 it was not new then johney

Answered you on the spon lane history thread :)

60s I reckon.