Considering purchase. Experts opinions please ?

Marco_mark

Featured Posts

Hello members !

I'm quite interested in this boat, it's local to me and doesn't seem too old for the price...

Any opinions (advice) would be appreciated !

Thanks !

http://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks-jet-skis/simla-50ft-narrowboat-for-sale-in-bethnal-green-mile-end/1089272436

I would continue looking at other boats, unless you can negotiate a good price reduction. It is built by a fairly decent builder - Market Harborough boats - (according to boatplan) but the outside is pretty scruffy, and the interior looks decidedly tired, it doesn't look as if it has been well cared for. If you add the cost of re-painting and tidying up the interior, it doesnt look such good value.

Edited by David Schweizer

Ownerships boats were built with Turkish built BMC's from Calcutta up to the mid 2000's.

Your geography teacher must have despaired of you, Mr. Hound.

I was about to post something similar when the phone rang and I got distracted. Perhaps you meant to refer to Calcutt who did indeed import and sell Turkish-built "BMC" 1500s and 1800s; but a "brand new" one from 2014 seems unlikely. Calcutt do, I believe, still recondition old ones, so perhaps it's one of those.

is this a Harborough Marine? It does not have the typical look of one. Those cut-out handgrabs at the front of the roof should be an identifying feature - I have seen these but I can't remember which builder often used/ uses them.

It does look a bit scruffy throughout, one hopes it's basically sound, but I would file the asking price under "optimism".

It's possible that it's a new old stock engine that was in a crate at a suppliers for a while. I know nothing about the importers/distributors though so I can't comment on how likely it is.

You are correct, it could be. After all, "proper vintage" engines do still turn up in their original crates (largely ex-MOD I believe) so perhaps BMCs do too.

All good info. Should I be concerned about the engine situation then ? I'm busy putting email together to the owner, blacking, license, bss, what else shall I ask ? Ta

Some engines sold as restored or rebuilt turn out to be "paintbrush restorations", smartened up on the outside but knackered within. Sabcat's recommendation makes good sense.

Some engines sold as restored or rebuilt turn out to be "paintbrush restorations", smartened up on the outside but knackered within. Sabcat's recommendation makes good sense.

If its a Calcutt recon it will have been reconditioned to a high standard.

Edited to remove irrelevant quoted text.

Edited by cuthound

...Although we had a share of an Ownerships Calcutt boat (2003) with a Turkish 'BMC' that had a lot of problems, and was changed for a Nanni after just a couple of years.

Returning to the subject boat, it seems to me it was built in 1992 and has been lovingly and enthusiastically neglected ever since.

Edited by Machpoint005
  • Greenie 1

Without starting a hare running - I have been told that some BMC (original) parts will not fit on these imported engines. So spares/repairs can be a problem.

Anyone any experience ?

Might explain some of the problems on our share boat, which suffered loss of power and excessive oil consumption IIRC, but we didn't use it as hard as some 'fellow owners'.

A greeno for your pointed comment, Mach.

Please may I have one for good grammar too?blush.png

...Although we had a share of an Ownerships Calcutt boat (2003) with a Turkish 'BMC' that had a lot of problems, and was changed for a Nanni after just a couple of years.

Returning to the subject boat, it seems to me it was built in 1992 and has been lovingly and enthusiastically neglected ever since.

The BMC 1.8 on HONEYSTREET achieved over 14,000 hours without problem, 4,000 more than the Mitsubishi 1.4 fitted to its predecessor.

Seems that just like the UK built engines, some were "Friday" engines, which yours obviously was :)

If its a Calcutt recon it will have been reconditioned to a high standard.

Hmm for the third time!

Hmm!!

Quite!

Hmm indeed!

Ditto!

It depends who you talk to, but some have suggested the quality of some of their rebuilds to be poor.

Our engine rebuilt by them in 1995 is reliable enough, but when you start unassembling some bits where the paint has not been disturbed since 1995 it is obvious that there were some compromises.

Without starting a hare running - I have been told that some BMC (original) parts will not fit on these imported engines. So spares/repairs can be a problem.

Anyone any experience ?

Yes, I don't have great experience, but I can confirm some bits are not the same, and I have been told the head is significantly different. Certainly if you want the adaptor that goes into the head to supply a calorifier, it is a totally different hole size and thread, depending on whether it is an English or Turkish built engine. Only one small example, and hardly a show-stopper, but you can't assume parts are interchangeable.

From the advert:

"I am selling my beautiful highly spacious narrowboat Simla"

"The cheap price is for three reasons:
"

One look at the photo suggests this seller is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but to me it look both a mess and priced at top money. I'm sure you can do a whole load better than this with a modicum of searching the market.

MtB