HELP! What is this room called?

Southern Star

Featured Posts

I'm getting used to the transition from house to boat. I know that my front room is called "the saloon", I know that my kitchen is called "the galley" and I know that my bedroom is called "the cabin". I even know the new name for my patio. smile.png

But what is the name for this room here?

desiree_8.JPG

I'm thinking it can't be called "the engine room" because there isn't an engine in it- the engine is under the boards. I can't find any reference to this anywhere, is there some correct terminology for this space? It takes up 10-15% of the boat length so I'm thinking it must have a name?

I call it the engine 'ole. The engine is in that "room", just covered in.

This engine is in a similar position, just not boarded in:

NB Leet Gi'en

No difference to a cars engine being beneath the bonnet to me.

That's a nice-looking installation you have there, but with all due respect, if you are stood on the bonnet of a car, then you aren't in the engine bay. smile.png

All these people who want a trad stern but not a proper engine room think they are clever in having this space.

I don't think I'm "clever" for having this space, and I wouldn't want a "proper engine room" on a 41' boat, I'm just wondering if this part of a narrowboat has a generally accepted name. I have to say that "the standy-up bit at the back" seems the most accurate answer so far, even if it is not strictly speaking terminologically accurate. I think I'll award that poster a greenie!

would that make a stern deck on a cruiser an engine room?

Ian

Engine patio

It is a wasted space called a double step over an engine.

Or transit space.(with no connotations to the usefully large transit van)

All these people who want a trad stern but not a proper engine room think they are clever in having this space.

It's the room you can't stand up in but you dump all your windlasses and mooring pins and empty jerry cans for trippage over at a later date

• Greenie 1