Ballinger

Jay4424

Featured Posts

Got lent from my boss some photos today, of is great uncle and some of his boats...

CPb.png

... This is a teset to see that I've worked out how to up load photos correctly!

Jay.

edit...it worked! I'll set about uploading the others then!! (will be VERY picture heavey) :-)

Edited by Jay4424

Related, I believe, to the Ballingers who currently live in the Cropredy area - Mr. & Mrs. Ballinger, can't recall their Christian names, who until recently moored their boat 'Barney' there, and their son Mike who was moorings warden for Cropredy and used to live on a boat at the Old Coal Wharf until the needs of an expanding family drove him to go and live on the bank.

Charles and Frances Ballinger on the motor Olive (ex S&C Beech I believe) in the 1940's

O2b.png

CB6b.png

Untitled2.png

Cadburys Camp Schools run on the Olive by C & F Ballinger in the late 1950's (copyright Gloucestershie Newspapers ref E273)

CB5b.png

CB4b.png

CB3b.png

CB2b.png

CB1b.png

Chales Ballinger getting of olive at a lock on the Worcs & Brum in the 1940's

Untitled1.png

doc relating to the "NEW Electric Welded Steel narrow boats" for S&C

NB1b.png

NB2b.png

Ballingers also ran other boats I beleive, one of which was the FMC "AIRE"

AIREb.png

was discused in a topic a week ago... its an FMC boat, black coloured, shiney, loaded this year, clothed up (unconverted) err, err, ermmmm... begins with a B?

Jay.

edit ... FMC Crane (sorry, C is close to B!!)

Edited by Jay4424

Olive is ex Sevener Fir.

Also I believe one of those Petters used to sit in The Clock Warehouse Shardlow when it was a museum and owned by Plus Pleasures.

Not according to the copies of the Gloucester health register, Fir was registered originally as 529, and then re-registered as Bridget. Olive was the Beech, although It was re registered under the original name, not the new name.

Not according to the copies of the Gloucester health register, Fir was registered originally as 529, and then re-registered as Bridget. Olive was the Beech, although It was re registered under the original name, not the new name.

You're quite right ... I stand corrupted!

My transcript of the Gloucester health register lists OLIVE as being health registered under its own name as Gloucester 536 - 29 October 1952 as OLIVE for Charles Ballinger, 9 West End Parade, Gloucester. As you have said this boat was originally health registered as Gloucester 531 - 07 February 1935 as BEECH for Severn & Canal Carrying Company Ltd., with a transfer of owner dated 10 February 1950 - to Docks & Inland Waterways Executive, Gloucester and retained its original name.

Both BEECH (OLIVE) and FIR (BRIDGET) were initially hired to Charles Ballinger, the former from Docks & Inland Waterways Executive and the latter from John Harker Ltd..

My transcript of the Gloucester health register lists OLIVE as being health registered under its own name as Gloucester 536 - 29 October 1952 as OLIVE for Charles Ballinger, 9 West End Parade, Gloucester. As you have said this boat was originally health registered as Gloucester 531 - 07 February 1935 as BEECH for Severn & Canal Carrying Company Ltd., with a transfer of owner dated 10 February 1950 - to Docks & Inland Waterways Executive, Gloucester and retained its original name.

Both BEECH (OLIVE) and FIR (BRIDGET) were initially hired to Charles Ballinger, the former from Docks & Inland Waterways Executive and the latter from John Harker Ltd..

Ah yes, I've got photos of the original health registration of Beech, but I have the 10 February 1950 re registration as being to Charles Ballinger directly, whereas other boats on that date went to DIWE.

I can send you the photographs I took of all the Severn and Canal motors' records, if you'd like to have copies for your records- assuming you've not got them already.

Regarding the can on the wrong side, I believe that at one time on the Worcs and B'ham canal boats kept to the left and met on the opposite side to what we do nowadays - no idea when it changed - nationalisation?

Also of interest to note is the stern rope hanging from the RH cabin hand rail.

Untitled1.png

Edited by Ray T

Also of interest to note is the stern rope hanging from the RH cabin hand rail.

Untitled1.png

Yes, I wonder why they have not hung them on their tiller pin!

Regarding the can on the wrong side, I believe that at one time on the Worcs and B'ham canal boats kept to the left and met on the opposite side to what we do nowadays - no idea when it changed - nationalisation?

Yes, I remember reading that.

However boats like these Severners still have the range chimney to the left, which would be completely wrong if you had to go to the left hand side of a tunnel arch to allow other boats to pass to your right.

Olive is ex Sevener Fir.

Also I believe one of those Petters used to sit in The Clock Warehouse Shardlow when it was a museum and owned by Plus Pleasures.

Absolutely correct, Tony Miles and myself got it there and it was quite a job, Roger Sharpe was the curator and it was a superb exhibition. Sadly closed down in unfortunate circumstances.

From my Aunt's (Daphne March - Heather Bell) document written for her University.

On some ‘cuts’ boats keep to the right, on others the left, on some empty boats must give way to loaded ones, and on others uphill takes precedence over downhill traffic.

She used the Worcester and Birmingham a lot.