Troy Arm

mark99

Featured Posts

If you Google Earth the Troy Arm (GUC Harefield) - an arm you cannot get down, there are boats at the end. Anyone ever seen them and any historical context?

Not sure if you can legally access that area but I'll have a sniff next week.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Harefield,+Greater+London/@51.6037531,-0.5048884,343a,20y,25.59h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x48766937d285c2f5:0xa8aee2042592e638

Hi Mark,

It's worth 'googling' the area for road access off the A412? Ricky to Denham road (old Outer ring road).

This 'No through road) also provides access to a granite sales yard. Some years ago we chose a 3 x 4 metre sheet of granite for our kitchen worktops here, (the yard itself is worth a visit). After a while I got bored, left Mrs G to choose and had a wander - Chris Collins's yard is close by. He was in and working, really nice guy and it was interesting to see work in progress and look at the remains of boats in the Troy cut.

I took loads of pics and some are on the forum - 'Progress' was a wreck but is now being restored.

The surfaced road ends at the granite works but a 'driveable' track carries onto the mainline of the canal.

Mike.

• 2 months later...

Walking the dog this morning down the aforementioned arm.

Mimas as below in foreground - also Comet.

20150118_105339_resized_zpsab5c0bff.jpg

There must be another Comet that is working as I've seen reference to it in here recently but it can't be the one above can it?

Unidentified below.

20150118_105517_resized_zpsfab025e6.jpg

Walking the dog this morning down the aforementioned arm.

Mimas as below in foreground - also Comet.

20150118_105339_resized_zpsab5c0bff.jpg

There must be another Comet that is working as I've seen reference to it in here recently but it can't be the one above can it?

Which boat is it you identify as Comet? I can only see Mimas and Progress. Are you perhaps looking at the wording Grand Union Canal Com**** on the side of Progress?

Which boat is it you identify as Comet? I can only see Mimas and Progress. Are you perhaps looking at the wording Grand Union Canal Com**** on the side of Progress?

That explains it - I could not get up close and assumed it was a boat called Comet smile.png

I can see from older images that the letters "COM" used to spell "COMPANY"

0/10 for identification.

Edited by mark99

Your image showing COM - - is the first three letters of the word COMPANY. That's PROGRESS.wink.png

Oops! Tam's beat me to it. Should have read better.

Yeah yeah, I id'ed a widebeam as narrowboat and then got the name wrong.......... ..... I'll get me coat. smile.png

At least I got the name of the canal arm correct!

Mimas is a lovely looking boat.

Edited by mark99

So the experimental widebeam 'Progress' has survived and is under restoration? I had heard of it but had assumed that it had been scrapped, or had fallen to pieces, years ago. That's good news.

Whole thread on it somewhere although it's not been updated in a while.

Edited to add: The link is in the 2nd post above.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41409#entry752650

Edited by IanM

Ian, thank you very much for that link. I have just spent (I almost wrote "wasted" as I have a deadline to meet, but it certainly didn't feel wasted) an hour following the, er yes, progress of the boat, and it is quite awe-inspiring. That Collins chap makes me feel tired just thinking about the patience and care which his work has involved. I hope that the lack of updates does not mean that he has abandoned the project.

Right, I'd better get writing and meet that deadline...