cheapest beer in the country.

luctor et emergo

Featured Posts

Fully agree. We always go in there when we are at West Stockwith.

Indeed.

We ate in Wetherspoons in Newark for the first time in a long time last week and the food was fine. We went on their steak day so it was £7.35 for a pint and a sirloin steak with all the trimmings. Steak was cooked really very nice and we had no complaints.

The Treacle Pudding and Custard certainly hit the spot not much room left after all that for a drink

I gave this[place a try on Wednesday night to see if it deserved it's title as CAMRA Derbyshire pub of the year 2014.

http://www.shinybrewing.com/

Their own four beers, 3.8 to 4.8%, brewed on site all £2.40, were excellent.

Their 3.8% stuff won best beer at the Nottingham Beer Festival last month.

They also had about another 6-7 guest ales on.

A table of quality cheeses and biscuits was free gratis and for nowt (on Wed).

The place is spotless and the staff and clientele were friendly.

I intended to have a couple but ended up with 4 pints down me.

It was good so I'll return.

Edited by andywatson

I buy a large bag with a tap on it costs me twenty six quid to fill my bag with forty four pints of cider, the orchard on bristol docks charge three pound twenty per pint of cider from the same farm I fill my bag at what a profit

I think you mean what a mark up because unless you know all their outgoings you don't have a clue about their profit margin.

Somebody mentioned earlier Wetherspoon's (some) having staff from the shallow end of the gene pool. Perhaps that is why they can keep the beer cheaper poor staff on poor wages. Just a thought.

I think you mean what a mark up because unless you know all their outgoings you don't have a clue about their profit margin.

Somebody mentioned earlier Wetherspoon's (some) having staff from the shallow end of the gene pool. Perhaps that is why they can keep the beer cheaper poor staff on poor wages. Just a thought.

. I think it's just good marketing the orchard has many awards as the best cider pub in the country were as the farm is knee deep in duck shit so the pub charges a premium

No, not the staff .... and not all the customers.

The staff are all fine people who come to our place for a drink when they finish work.

Can't help feeling there's a bit of price fixing going on between Napton and Stockton Locks. All the pubs I called into last week seem to be charging £3.50. I didn't call into the Boat nor the Bridge Inn so I can't comment on those two. The cheapest I found in that area was the White Lion at Radford Semele at £3.40. My dad would be turning in his grave.

The Hooky in the Kings Head is £3.20 and they welcome a group of not particularly well scrubbed football players in there, despite what others have said about the place.

The Abbey at Darley Abbey near Derby is £1.80 a pint for Samuel Smith's Museum bitter. This is significantly cheaper than most local pubs.

The Sam Smiths pubs are cheap as they sell all their own stuff (ie not Coca-Cola, Schweppes, Britvic, etc) and spend nothing on marketing (ie telly and billboard ads, sponsoring cricket, rugby and football etc). Shows how much that adds..........

Maybe Old Brewery Bitter. It's a couple of decades since Sam Smiths stopped brewing Museum.