Engine cleaner

Proper Job

Featured Posts

One of this Winters' projects is going to be giving Ye Olde JP a bit of a clean up.

I'm not one for having a gleaming article sat in the engine hole and prefer a bit of a 'used' patina about it.

That said, it's looking a bit unkempt and has a few years of dust, oil, grease and grime on it.

Any recommendations on cleaning fluids, solvents, wipes etc?

I've always used good old 'Gunk' in the past, but it is a bit messy and you still have to pump out (In to containers not in to the cut), clean the engine bilge etc after a good scrub and wash-down.

There are some pretty good 'wipes' around - anyone had any experience of using them?

....... or just white spirit, diesel etc???

What do you do/use?

Edited by Proper Job

I use Comma Hypaclean sprayed and brushed on and washed off with a gentle hosng.

I know there's the issue of disposing of the water but with careful use of the hose you can keep it down to under 25 litres (5 gallons in old money)

Frank

Yep, its another vote here for cheap washing up Liquid, and a Pumpup Garden sprayer with lance.

Cleans the Bilges, Bilge Pump at the same time then I can change my Bilge Pump filter job done for another 6 months !.

I also touched up the paint work on my eng last year, and replaceed a cpl of hoses

But you have just jogged my memory, and looked on my maintenance board,,My Bilges need doing end of this month !.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt2gd1u6cr35ldj/IMAG0102_1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zydimchxjpyr1pz/IMAG0133%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n85sfpc5idlmj9a/2014-04-30%2013.51.54.jpg?dl=0

Slightly depends if you want to paint it afterwards.

A lot of 'engine degreasers' are intended, or do, leave an film afterwards which is good for a lot of things but not for paint to stick to, I have had some which are a lot worse than others and washing off, or totally fail to go into emulsion at all, or are just very poor at desolving the first or both! But Gunk and Jizer work.

The best one I have had for a long time was called 'READYSOLVE' bought at a kitcar autojumble and made by 'Solvitol' or something like that, I have the can somewhere, but have as yet been unable to by more. That worked well and washed off well and without leaving a film.

If you want to get it totally clean you can do worse than a 5l can of 'carb and brake cleaner' from the local parts factor, but do not use it on a still day or in a confined space for long.

If washing up liquid works, your not cleaning the same things I am. Its also as expensive as any of the above, probably not much better for the watercourses, and I also believe it is rammed full of salt.

Daniel

Doesn't washing up liquid leave a silicon film behind, which could be a problem if you are also planning to repaint (or touch up)?

I've no idea,,,Good point though, it 'seams' to have been ok for me, to date anyway !,

Spray down, Agitated with paint brush, Wash down n paint,, That's all I done, But it was just a touch up, not a full paint job.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2