A good article in Canal Boat magazine

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

Try it!!! It isn't difficult to work out.

I could explain it but then who knows who is reading this.....

Well if you think you can by pass iTiunes payment methods feel free to PM me as to how.

Otherwise I think you may be talking bollocks.

What's the big secret for goodness sake?

Well if you think you can by pass iTiunes payment methods feel free to PM me as to how.

Otherwise I think you may be talking bollocks.

What's the big secret for goodness sake?

I suspect you delete the app and then download it again the following month to get another 'free issue'.

I suspect you delete the app and then download it again the following month to get another 'free issue'.

Mm not so sure TBH, iTunes have things pretty well locked down, and normally knows if you have previously downloaded an app. to a particular Apple ID.

If correct though then CB have made a big cock up.

Fortunately I haven't mentioned sustainability as I wouldn't want to be labled a dimwit. Personally I try to avoid labeling people I don't know. Most of the things you mention are renewable! Food for example grows,furniture can be made out of renewable things such as wood and rubber etc.

If all those who thing we are doomed went and quietly shuffled of this mortal coil it might achieve the results you want (a 1/10th reduction in population) laugh.png

fine,as long as we can grow enough food to feed the masses. Most furniture has an element of plastic or metal, which are not renewable, or can be grown. Just look around your home, and take away everything that is not made 100% from renewable source. And real rubber, latex, is a bit cumbersome to harvest.

Unless we reduce the population, all our efforts at 'sustainability' are just pissing in the wind. One day the cupboard will be empty..

Perhaps at a personal level if you use supermarket bags the use compared to your magazines is tiny however if you start looking at the figures it isn't quite as tiny as you might think and as I have pointed out the use of plastic supermarket bags is falling and will fall more when you are being charged for them.

Some of my magazines are delivered in plastic some with no wrapping at all and there is no difference between the condition (surprisingly). Paper wrapping would be better as it is much more readily recycled.

We live in a finite world we can not continue to use resources for trivia, not that is if we value the quality of life our grandchildren will live.

I've bored many people discussing environmental issues and the fact that we need to change our lifestyle to conserve natural resources for future generation. I'm very much in favour of phasing out single-use plastic bags. Some examples of ways that we could make real progress include cutting down on air travel, helping people to live close to their place of work so that they can walk or cycle, and insisting that manufacturers improve the quality of consumer durables so that they last much longer. We could even take moves to discourage population growth.

If paper is treated with wax or other material to make it water-resistant it does not biodegrade well, so replacing plastic with paper carriers is generally regarded as undesirable.

To hijack this thread if I may, briefly, how does one delete an app from an iphone 5 please?

I've installed one it turns out I don't want and I'd just abandon it, but every so often it sends me texts/messages nagging me to upgrade.

Thanks for any suggestions. I can't see how/where to remove apps.

MtB

To hijack this thread if I may, briefly, how does one delete an app from an iphone 5 please?

I've installed one it turns out I don't want and I'd just abandon it, but every so often it sends me texts/messages nagging me to upgrade.

Thanks for any suggestions. I can't see how/where to remove apps.

MtB

You press and hold the app's icon for a couple of seconds, whereupon the app icons all go wobbly. In this mode you can move them around and for non-native apps a little x appears - tapping this deletes the app. Press the home button to exit.

fine,as long as we can grow enough food to feed the masses. Most furniture has an element of plastic or metal, which are not renewable, or can be grown. Just look around your home, and take away everything that is not made 100% from renewable source. And real rubber, latex, is a bit cumbersome to harvest.

Unless we reduce the population, all our efforts at 'sustainability' are just pissing in the wind. One day the cupboard will be empty..

Most furniture may have currently but that is to say it has to be. Most of my furniture is antique and has little or no metal and no rubber.

It may have escaped your notice but efforts to get birth control sorted are going on round the world and will slowly ramp up.

You keep mentioning sustainability I have never called it sustainable but it can prolong the time until the "cupboard is empty". Allowing other measures to be put in place compulsory birth control, new techniques (when I was young hydroponics hadn't been heard of by the time I was middle aged I had a friend who was providing a lot of his winter feed needs for his small holding from1 shipping container. Yes I know it needs resources but if they are reused things get better.

If we all say sod it we are doomed and carry on as profligate as we want to be the we definitely will be doomed. It would help as I said if the doom and gloomers shuffled of the mortal coil which would reduce the population and leave only those who are prepared to try around.

Your attitude to me is like a man who has fallen over board from a ship and can just see on the skyline what might be land. Instead of swimming says I can't make that puts his head under water and takes a deep breath.

Sorry but my glass is half full, I am not prepared to go and selfishly deny future generations a chance. Virtually everything can be recycled! I have just had a discussion with my city dwelling daughter they throw away remarkably little because the recycling collection is so good. What they do throw away is recyclable it is just there are no facilities for it yet.

• Greenie 1

I agree with Jerra's principles and am happy to give him a greenie for encouraging a responsible approach, even though I was reprimanded for supporting delivery of waterways magazines with a plastic wrapper.

What matters in my view is the overall impact we as individuals make on our environment rather than focussing on individual areas. There's so many ways that we can all make a contribution to a more sustainable lifestyle even though we will all have individual weaknesses. I see boating holidays as a better option to overseas holidays involving air travel.

Most furniture may have currently but that is to say it has to be. Most of my furniture is antique and has little or no metal and no rubber.

It may have escaped your notice but efforts to get birth control sorted are going on round the world and will slowly ramp up.

You keep mentioning sustainability I have never called it sustainable but it can prolong the time until the "cupboard is empty". Allowing other measures to be put in place compulsory birth control, new techniques (when I was young hydroponics hadn't been heard of by the time I was middle aged I had a friend who was providing a lot of his winter feed needs for his small holding from1 shipping container. Yes I know it needs resources but if they are reused things get better.

If we all say sod it we are doomed and carry on as profligate as we want to be the we definitely will be doomed. It would help as I said if the doom and gloomers shuffled of the mortal coil which would reduce the population and leave only those who are prepared to try around.

Your attitude to me is like a man who has fallen over board from a ship and can just see on the skyline what might be land. Instead of swimming says I can't make that puts his head under water and takes a deep breath.

Sorry but my glass is half full, I am not prepared to go and selfishly deny future generations a chance. Virtually everything can be recycled! I have just had a discussion with my city dwelling daughter they throw away remarkably little because the recycling collection is so good. What they do throw away is recyclable it is just there are no facilities for it yet.

Recycling is great in principal, but it uses a lot of energy. The most important thing in saving the planet is not using energy.

Recycling is great in principal, but it uses a lot of energy. The most important thing in saving the planet is not using energy.

That is why it should be reuse, reduce recycle. Also less energy is used for example in remelting metal than in the original smelting so it is a way of reducing energy use.

. The most important thing in saving the planet is not using energy.

Ah, so when Mrs. Athy stays in bed until ten on her day off, she is not being bone idle, she is being ecologically aware by expending the least possible energy. Now I understand.

What I'm looking for is a canal magazine that comprises of 3-4 (max) articles on the most picturesque waterways in the UK. A page on how to tinker with a vitus and a new fangled windlass made from titanium and the rest of the magazine made up of adverts for very shiny boats.

Anyone know of one...?

for a windlass you need carbon fiber, titanium is too heavy.

No, the most important thing is not using non-renewable fossil fuelled energy. The universe is one massive ball of energy (some of which has condensed into matter) but the "big picture" is that the universe IS energy and so it can hardly be considered a scare resource. We are just struggling to work out how to use it, but if we spent a tiny fraction of our world's GDP on working out how to make fusion work, we will be laughing. In my opinion it will be touch and go whether fossil fuel has run out (or rather become unusably expensive) before we get fusion power on line, meanwhile the politicians can't see past the next election. Fiddling whilst Rome burns!

Edited by nicknorman

No, the most important thing is not using non-renewable fossil fuelled energy. The universe is one massive ball of energy (some of which has condensed into matter) but the "big picture" is that the universe IS energy and so it can hardly be considered a scare resource. We are just struggling to work out how to use it, but if we spent a tiny fraction of our world's GDP on working out how to make fusion work, we will be laughing. In my opinion it will be touch and go whether fossil fuel has run out (or rather become unusably expensive) before we get fusion power on line, meanwhile the politicians can't see past the next election. Fiddling whilst Rome burns!

I'm all for Nuclear Fusion, but personally I think the money should be put into working out better storage and solar. I think fusion is too way off working...

I'm all for Nuclear Fusion, but personally I think the money should be put into working out better storage and solar. I think fusion is too way off working...

It is a fair way off working but putting less money into it will only delay it further.

Solar has limited potential in uk due to our latitude and weather and already there are "solar farm" outcries just like the "windfarm" outcries, on the basis of desecrating the landscape. It would also be interesting to know the full environmental cost of creating and then eventually disposing of solar panels. Silicon is one thing, but what about the doping impurities necessary for solar cell junctions to work? And how much energy is needed to make them (and then transport them from China!)

It is a fair way off working but putting less money into it will only delay it further.

Solar has limited potential in uk due to our latitude and weather and already there are "solar farm" outcries just like the "windfarm" outcries, on the basis of desecrating the landscape. It would also be interesting to know the full environmental cost of creating and then eventually disposing of solar panels. Silicon is one thing, but what about the doping impurities necessary for solar cell junctions to work? And how much energy is needed to make them (and then transport them from China!)

I disagree, why solar may be limited, storage of electrical energy is what we really need rather than another way (green or not) to generate it. No good having fusion if I can't do a long journey in my car due to it running out and taking ages to charge.

I disagree, why solar may be limited, storage of electrical energy is what we really need rather than another way (green or not) to generate it. No good having fusion if I can't do a long journey in my car due to it running out and taking ages to charge.

However once you have the energy, you don't need to store it as electricity in a battery. For instance it can be used to electrolyse water at the power station to turn into hydrogen and oxygen - release the latter into the atmosphere and fill you car with the former, then you still get to have the internal combustion engine that we so love, that completes the cycle (burns hydrogen using atmospheric oxygen to give off pure water).

I know hydrogen powered vehicles are not mainstream yet, but I suspect that is a far easier and quicker challenge to satisfy than making fusion power work.