eco toilets

Jen_P

Featured Posts

Hope you aren't all getting sick of me with my newbie questions about epoxy and spiders and fitting central heating.....

One more question. Can't promise it'll be the final one!

Eco toilets. How do they work? DO they work? H

I got the tour of the composting bogs (plus those in action in the hireboats) just a couple of days ago. I was surprised to find them completely smell-free, even close up.

Important to note that if the fan is not on 24/7, however, they will smell- I have witnessed this prior when the fans had been off for a few days, that the area around the boasts was pongy. But with the fan on, no smell even right in the toilet cubicle.

When I saw them there was no smell inside the boat it was just outside, I think the fans were on. One of the boats had the toilet vented in to the engine bay and there was quite a pong when he lifted up the boards to show me. I wouldn't fancy working on that engine.

Well the poo stinks as it dries out, and the fan is essential to expel the stink to outside or the interior of the boat will smell too.

So an 'eco bog' is a constant drain on the boat's power supply. A small drain but a drain all the same so needs to be considered if you are not a liveaboard. Or maybe if you are, too!

A decent sized solar panel will probably keep up with the fan even in the middle of winter.

MtB

The fans used are computer fans so no big wattage. my fan vents out of the side of the hull so no smell issues for me. But all loos smell at some point cassettes when you empty them same with pumpouts and a blocked pumpout is the end of the world dont ask how I know sick.gif

Peter

We use 'green' instead of 'blue' in our toilet cassettes and this is one way to keep things more natural. I've never used blue before so don't know if it works better, but green works fine for us.

Is that the thetford aqua kem green?

Daniel

The wattage for composting bog fans are 0.6 amps per hour for the Seaparett Villa, and 0.02 amps per hour for the Air Head.

/Composting bog know-it-all mode: Deactivated.

Well the first one is about the same as my inverter nearly 15 Ah per day but the second is low, I wonder why they are so different.

The Separett Villa is significantly bigger, with a bigger bucket of pooh. biggrin.png

Oh. Also, I'm an idiot and got my decimal points and numbers mixed up... The correct figures are

Separett villa: 0.2 amps per hour

Air Head: 0.06 amps per hour

(Will correct earlier post too, in the interests of clarity.)

Edited by Starcoaster

The Separett Villa is significantly bigger, with a bigger bucket of pooh. biggrin.png

Oh. Also, I'm an idiot and got my decimal points and numbers mixed up... The correct figures are

Separett villa: 0.2 amps per hour

Air Head: 0.06 amps per hour

(Will correct earlier post too, in the interests of clarity.)

<hobbyhorse>

Technically this is meaningless dross and it really gets my goat. I assume you are quoting manufacturers specifications. If so, it's no wonder this twaddle gets propagated and it's a good thing they make bogs not electronics!!!

Wattage (power) is measured in Watts, not amps per hour. Amps by themselves are the same as Coulombs per hour (electrical equiv of litres per hour of, say water.) So saying Amps per hour is like stating litres of water per hour, per hour. Meaningless!)

</hobbyhorse>

:)

MtB

Is that the thetford aqua kem green?

Daniel

We've used that.

Also Go Outdoors stuff: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/blue-diamond-when-nature-calls-toilet-fluid-p148977

And Biomagic: http://www.biomagicuk.com/page2.html

All of them seem to work fine, i think Go Outdoors stuff has been easiest to get hold of and most economical.

• 5 weeks later...

This may be of some help, might be worth giving them a bell as the woman i spoke to has a lot of knowledge on this type of product.

http://www.canalshoponline.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d74.html

watch yourself at the canal shop like your money dont like to put things right, my advice go else where

• Greenie 1

Has anyone tried a gel toilet? It's got a catchy name, which I can't for the life of me remember so can't Google it at the moment. There's an advert for it in the current issue of towpath talk. Toilet costs about 60.00, and if I remember correctly, once the gel has worked you can chuck the poo or wee in the bin. Not sure how the costs compare over the products lifetime. I think it's more of a camping toilet than designed for heavy duty use, however, it seems cheap enough to be worth a punt.

Rob