water points

Detling

Featured Posts

On my travels I have noticed that many of the new shiny stainless steel water points are now without their padlocks, in fact the only ones I have seen recently are the ones by the office Brum. Did it not occur to CRT that these expensive padlocks have a scrap value of 3-5 quid and if anyone wanted a nice brass lock for their allotment shed then they were there for the picking.

I hope that my licence fee will not be spent replacing them with expensive locks to be nicked again.

Did it not occur to CRT that these expensive padlocks have a scrap value of 3-5 quid

Which scrappie are you using who pays £3 for half a pound of brass?

They'll be going out of business pretty damned quick I predict!!!

The last I heard albeit a few years ago they where £60 each .

Now whoever designed this piece of junk should be made to pay for cast iron replacements that have been suitable for 40 + years .

CRT need to learn to follow the motto if its not broken then don't fix it.

Saw my first one at Plank Lane this weekend just gone, would never have known it was a water point, no sign or anything and very short compared to the cast iron ones.

I have no real issue with it as it worked, and if its a substantial saving on a cast iron one, I am not against it, particularly in more functional area, although the cast iron ones look nicer.

However if there is an issue with padlocks going walk abouts, more so than the 'yale-type' cylinder locks, thats an issue.

Daniel

Saw my first one at Plank Lane this weekend just gone, would never have known it was a water point, no sign or anything and very short compared to the cast iron ones.

I have no real issue with it as it worked, and if its a substantial saving on a cast iron one, I am not against it, particularly in more functional area, although the cast iron ones look nicer.

However if there is an issue with padlocks going walk abouts, more so than the 'yale-type' cylinder locks, thats an issue.

Daniel

just mind your fingers when lifting the lid (if someone has bothered to close it), the workmanship hasn't extended to smoothing the edges off yet.!!!

just mind your fingers when lifting the lid (if someone has bothered to close it), the workmanship hasn't extended to smoothing the edges off yet.!!!

Yes I rememember 'no longer a member' suggesting the same back when they were installed.....

Though I think he more dramatically claimed fingers could actually be severed...

How many have I wonder?

Yes I rememember 'no longer a member' suggesting the same back when they were installed.....

Though I think he more dramatically claimed fingers could actually be severed...

How many have I wonder?

You don't see that many that are closed.

How many have I wonder?

There were two small piles of severed fingers when I stopped for water recently at Stonebridge Lock, Tottenham.

There were two small piles of severed fingers when I stopped for water recently at Stonebridge Lock, Tottenham.

Nice with peas I understand.....and mashed potato.....

You should have grilled or fried them.

Which scrappie are you using who pays £3 for half a pound of brass?

They'll be going out of business pretty damned quick I predict!!!

maybe they sell them back to CRT

When the stainless steel water points started to appear I was told at a meeting with CRT staff that this was being done because some of the cast iron ones did not contain a double-check valve. These have been standard on outside tap kits for many years and are there to avoid contamination of the supply by back-siphonage if the pressure fails. What I don't understand is why a tap with a double-check valve could not be fitted to existing cast iron water points.

Apparently it would be much more expensive to install new cast iron water points that are compliant than to install stainless steel ones. I cannot understand why the old ones could not be brought up to standard.

Hopefully CRT can find a company that will supply cast iron water points at an affordable price.

When the stainless steel water points started to appear I was told at a meeting with CRT staff that this was being done because some of the cast iron ones did not contain a double-check valve.

What I don't understand is why a tap with a double-check valve could not be fitted to existing cast iron water points.

Apparently it would be much more expensive to install new cast iron water points that are compliant than to install stainless steel ones. I cannot understand why the old ones could not be brought up to standard.

Seems odd, as the cast ones are not old, and appear to all be of the same design.

There must be an.inline twin-check that can be fitted ahead of the three way quater turn valve.

Daniel

Seems odd, as the cast ones are not old, and appear to all be of the same design.

There must be an.inline twin-check that can be fitted ahead of the three way quater turn valve.

Daniel

There IS a check valve in the cast iron water point at Whaley Bridge so someone is being economical with the truth.

George ex nb Alton retired

There IS a check valve in the cast iron water point at Whaley Bridge so someone is being economical with the truth.

Ah but the water regs require a double check valve. Completely different...

Two separate single check valves in the same pipe would meet the regs though!

MtB

Ah but the water regs require a double check valve. Completely different...

Two separate single check valves in the same pipe would meet the regs though!

MtB

Fair enough Mike, I am not savvy enough to recognise what sort of check valve I was looking at, it may well have been a double for all I know.

Even so, there is plenty of room in the column for two valves of the type I was looking at.

When the stainless steel water points started to appear I was told at a meeting with CRT staff that this was being done because some of the cast iron ones did not contain a double-check valve. These have been standard on outside tap kits for many years and are there to avoid contamination of the supply by back-siphonage if the pressure fails. What I don't understand is why a tap with a double-check valve could not be fitted to existing cast iron water points.

Hopefully CRT can find a company that will supply cast iron water points at an affordable price.

I thought that many of the old cast iron ones had been brought up to standard, particularly in heritage areas, and that it was a relatively small proportion that were replaced with the stainless ones. I am sure that the figures for numbers updated/replaced have been posted on here before.

I thought that many of the old cast iron ones had been brought up to standard, particularly in heritage areas, and that it was a relatively small proportion that were replaced with the stainless ones. I am sure that the figures for numbers updated/replaced have been posted on here before.

Your understanding is the same as mine.

The ones on our mooring were replaced, but others have been modified.

One presumes it was more expensive to have the cast ones modified than replace them with a brand new stainless unit which seems odd but is the only rational explanation as to why they just didn't modify them all.

That's what I was told by my CRT contact. I was told that the ones that could not be modified were being replaced. I don't understand why they could not be modified.

But I think that is only due to people kicking up. If there was no comment I am sure they would have scrapped the lot.

Is it only me who recalls most of the cast ones seemly going in only around 15 years ago?

I dont think they are anywhere near as old as most people thing they are, certainly my earlier canal water point memories are of assorted steel boxes on posts/walls/etc with a pair of conventional taps inside, rather than the cast* ones that are more common these days.

*I assume they are in fact cast steel, rather than cast iron, although I open to correction on that.

Daniel