I Have been Deemed Not to Be A Continuous Cruiser

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Checking their own data perhaps? The flaw in this case seems to have been that the decision maker didn't check the dates on 13 successive sitings

True, in this case but there does seem to be a rather worrying trend recently......I know I'm cynical by nature and disregard many C&RT bashing posts but some seem to be coming from posters who AFAIK are genuine boaters who are not pushing the limits in any way

wrong term, as it implies a certain negativity that was un-intended so maybe "posts pointing out C&RT flaws"

Edited by John V

I'm not normally a CRT basher, in fact I think they do a difficult task very well in many cases, but checking facts has not, historically, been a strong point of theirs has it?

Things like introducing mooring restrictions not only without evidence, but without a coherent case spring to mind, and authorising the use of a mooring in Upton for a trip boat without establishing who owned the landfall end of it and asking them...

Just to be clear I am not a CRT basher and do work with them where possible, I am involved in a number of project at present. I do also however have always been straight with them that I will hold them to account where I feel they need to be held to account, or I will argue with them when I think they are doing something wrong such as the introduction of multiple 48 hour moorings. I (and others) spend a considerable amount of my own money every year attending meetings with CRT or visiting boaters with problems.
  • Greenie 3

they must be kicking themselves that they messed it up with you..........anyone else but you....lol

Sorry Dean but they should be kicking themselves if they make such an error with anybody.

If people claiming to CC and just shuffling a few miles up and down a short distance truly are the major problem they appear to be (certainly by posts they seem to be in certain areas) some sort of system of monitoring/enforcing is needed for the benefit of boaters as a whole.

That's much like quoting the Daily Mail except that the Daily Mail probably makes some attempt to verify its sources.

• Greenie 1

I've been turned down. I think it's because I have a roving trader licence. Even though on my renewal form it clearly stated continuous cruiser (printed there by CRT). I'm not the only one this has happened to. Still, all systems have a few glitches right? Does anyone actually know whether I will be entitled to one or if I have to wait until November 1st? Just to be clear, I'm not having a pop, just mentioning this in case it affects others as well.

Edited by Captain Zim

I've been turned down. I think it's because I have a roving trader licence. Even though on my renewal form it clearly stated continuous cruiser (printed there by CRT). I'm not the only one this has happened to. Still, all systems have a few glitches right? Does anyone actually know whether I will be entitled to one or if I have to wait until November 1st? Just to be clear, I'm not having a pop, just mentioning this in case it affects others as well.

I have been contacted by 2 other traders with the same problem and have advised them as long as they do not have a home mooring then they can have a winter mooring have suggested they contact Sussie Mercer and have her sort out the problem with the licencing dept

That's much like quoting the Daily Mail except that the Daily Mail probably makes some attempt to verify its sources.

Blindly attacking C&RT is counter productive. If C&RT fails then all of us (assuming you actually boat on the canals) could lose out big time.

Making C&RT a trust is both an opportunity for improvement and an opportunity for total collapse

If it goes to the wall I cannot see central government putting it's hand in it's pocket again to bail us out. in which case non of us will be able to boat !

So we need to stay away from blind them and us shouting

This has been, ( still is maybe ) a very interesting discussion. I have not got a boat yet. But when ( in the very near future ) I do, I will CC up and down the whole system. As someone that knows absolutely NOTHING about the canal licensing system. Could someone please try to educate me regarding what licence I will need to visit EVERYWHERE. I have seen something regarding the Gold Licence, Is that all I will need?

Or is it advisable to buy a licence for one network before moving on the next. To clarify, I fully intend to see absolutely everywhere that a 58` boat will go.

As a nod to this thread, I am not surprised at all,that an ex government controlled department can make such a cock up,and still not even notice it while they are trying to prosecute. Which typifies why I want to live off grid in the first place.

IS THERE ANYWHERE I CAN ESCAPE THIS BLOODY MADNESS.wub.png

This has been, ( still is maybe ) a very interesting discussion. I have not got a boat yet. But when ( in the very near future ) I do, I will CC up and down the whole system. As someone that knows absolutely NOTHING about the canal licensing system. Could someone please try to educate me regarding what licence I will need to visit EVERYWHERE. I have seen something regarding the Gold Licence, Is that all I will need?

Or is it advisable to buy a licence for one network before moving on the next. To clarify, I fully intend to see absolutely everywhere that a 58` boat will go.

As a nod to this thread, I am not surprised at all,that an ex government controlled department can make such a cock up,and still not even notice it while they are trying to prosecute. Which typifies why I want to live off grid in the first place.

IS THERE ANYWHERE I CAN ESCAPE THIS BLOODY MADNESS.wub.png

Just to be clear I was not facing prosecution or anything like that I had problem getting a winter mooring because it was said I was not following the guidance for boats without a home mooring. With regard to licence get one for a boat without a home mooring if you are planning to spend time on rivers not covered by your CRT Licence work out if a gold licence is cheaper than paying the daily rate in my case the Thames is the only river I cruise not coveted by my licence and for me it is cheaper to pay daily rate

I have personal experience of this. I used to see it regularly when I was moored (in a marina) in the Bath area. Many boats just staying put, some on visitor moorings just sitting.

I see it here where I now have a mooring.

Those who deny that it happens must be deliberately blind.

I don't think that it is a huge problem system wide, but it does occur.

My person opinion, FWIW is that if you want to moor out in the country I can't see the problem, unless you start setting up home and making a right mess of the place. Yes I've also seen that happening in some places.

Bob

It does rather depend on your definition of everywhere. A Gold Licence covers the vast majority (CRT and EA waters and temporarily on the Bridgewater Canal) but a separate licence at additional cost is required for the Warwick Avon, another for part of the River Cam to Cambridge and yet another for the Manchester Ship Canal. A special ticket is required for the Yorkshire Derwent.

There was a time when it was more complicated....

Well I have to say that sad though it may be this whole topic has given me a bit of a titter...

Whilst I take the point that this could have been anyone affected, in this case it wasn't - it was our venerable CC expert, and I have to say that CRT couldn't have picked a wronger 'un if they'd tried!

I find the bit about the traders particularly interesting - why were they being refused? As someone who is building up funds, boat and courage to join the ranks I feel I should know...

It does rather depend on your definition of everywhere. A Gold Licence covers the vast majority (CRT and EA waters and temporarily on the Bridgewater Canal) but a separate licence at additional cost is required for the Warwick Avon, another for part of the River Cam to Cambridge and yet another for the Manchester Ship Canal. A special ticket is required for the Yorkshire Derwent.

There was a time when it was more complicated....

In the south add Bristol Floating Harbour, The River Wey and the Basingstoke Canal. Strictly speaking a Gold Licence doesn't cover the Middle Level either but they have no licence so that is academic. CRT/Gold only give 7 days on the Bridgewater Canal. I can't remember what the arrangements are for the Witham Navigable Drains.

Well I have to say that sad though it may be this whole topic has given me a bit of a titter...

Whilst I take the point that this could have been anyone affected, in this case it wasn't - it was our venerable CC expert, and I have to say that CRT couldn't have picked a wronger 'un if they'd tried!

I find the bit about the traders particularly interesting - why were they being refused? As someone who is building up funds, boat and courage to join the ranks I feel I should know...

For the traders it is most probably just a case of systems again but not sure

I have been contacted by 2 other traders with the same problem and have advised them as long as they do not have a home mooring then they can have a winter mooring have suggested they contact Sussie Mercer and have her sort out the problem with the licencing dept

Thanks John. I've emailed. I'll update when I get a reply tomorrow.

As someone new to being a livaboard this CRT mess up worries me!

Can they force you to take a mooring even if you continue to move around the system?

Are there any clear guidelines on how to CC?

Is it worth having a blog with pics and moving dates to avoid mistakes but would it even be worth the trouble if CRT insist they are correct?

In the south add Bristol Floating Harbour, The River Wey and the Basingstoke Canal. Strictly speaking a Gold Licence doesn't cover the Middle Level either but they have no licence so that is academic. CRT/Gold only give 7 days on the Bridgewater Canal. I can't remember what the arrangements are for - the Witham Navigable Drains.

Oops. I forgot a couple. As far as I know, no separate licence required for Witham Navigable Drains - well, I didn't get one anyway.

I suppose you could add Chelmer & Blackwater too.

Oops. I forgot a couple. As far as I know, no separate licence required for Witham Navigable Drains - well, I didn't get one anyway.

I suppose you could add Chelmer & Blackwater too.

Do CRT control the River Medway?

MtB

Sorry I should have added to this that traders are restricted to the number of days they can trade on a winter mooring from memory it is 14 days in a 5 month period now this might be the reason the system does not work for them and needs to be done with different T&C than the standard T&C so call Sussie Mercer

Thanks John. I've emailed. I'll update when I get a reply tomorrow.

See my above update just came as another thought on traders