Illegal fish stunning on CRT waters

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

A incident on the Middlewich Branch of the Shropshire Union is currently being investigated by the EA, CRT & RSPCA, This in respect to electric stunning of fish in fair quantities by probable East Europeans, As part of the follow up from John Ellis (CRT Fisheries manager) has sent this statement and asked it be forwarded for public information so other boaters can help with this illegal situation. This incident is not a one off, there are other reports involving fish and even swans being shot for food.

"

‘The use of an unlicensed electrical device which is an offence under Section 5 of the Salmon & Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 and for which the Environment Agency are responsible for investigating and prosecuting. So following todays email I have reported the incident to the Environment Agency 24 hour incident number 0800 807060. Ref Number 1282923. I will act as the Trusts lead contact.

I have asked for one of the Agency’s enforcement team to call me personally as we need to agree tactics to attempt the catch the culprits in the act.

What this will almost certainly involve will be getting boating customers to phone the 0800807060 number whilst any incident is in progress.

In addition, the theft of CRT property i.e. the fish, is covered under the 1968 Theft Act. This is fundamentally a police matter in terms of catching the thieves, but we as owners of the fish have an interest in making sure our property is not stolen’

John Ellis CRT.

Please ring 0800 807 060 if you see anything of similar issues.

• Greenie 1

That's an interesting viewpoint: that CART own the fish and that they are their property. Hmmm. What happens when Percy the Pike swims off the canal and along a stream? Does he suddenly stop being CART property?

But seriously, does anyone actually own wild creatures? There are two butterflies and a collared dove in my garden at the moment, but I don't consider them to be my property.

A incident on the Middlewich Branch of the Shropshire Union is currently being investigated by the EA, CRT & RSPCA, This in respect to electric stunning of fish in fair quantities by probable East Europeans, As part of the follow up from John Ellis (CRT Fisheries manager) has sent this statement and asked it be forwarded for public information so other boaters can help with this illegal situation. This incident is not a one off, there are other reports involving fish and even swans being shot for food.

"

No wonder their countries haven't got anything left to stay for.

Does the Queen know about the swans?

Could we have them in The Tower for this?

Is this an "extradition offence"?

For crying out loud don't let UKIP hear about this.

Bob

That's an interesting viewpoint: that CART own the fish and that they are their property. Hmmm. What happens when Percy the Pike swims off the canal and along a stream? Does he suddenly stop being CART property?

But seriously, does anyone actually own wild creatures? There are two butterflies and a collared dove in my garden at the moment, but I don't consider them to be my property.

As far as I know fish on your property are yours.

Bob

As far as I know fish on your property are yours.

Bob

That's a hard concept to grasp. For example, I own the waterway which flows along the front of my property, but only up to half way across. So if a fish repeatedly swims from one side of the river to the other, then back again, does it become my property, then cease to be my property, then become my property again, etc. etc?

People have to eat.

I went through a wooded area in Thailand and the only visible wildlife was yellow butterflies .

Problem is other cultures do not follow our example of when in Rome do as the Romans do LOL.

That's a hard concept to grasp. For example, I own the waterway which flows along the front of my property, but only up to half way across. So if a fish repeatedly swims from one side of the river to the other, then back again, does it become my property, then cease to be my property, then become my property again, etc. etc?

Yes.

yes

Yes

Only did that as I want to be part of the gang

Yes

Only did that as I want to be part of the gang

Tee-hee.

looks like a yes, then. But to which creatures does this law extend? For example, from my window I can see a furry orange blob which is doubtless next door's cat Garfield on a further mission to climb up my bird-tray and eat the bacon scraps (pause while I open the window and yell "Cooking fat" or something which sounds like that). While he's in my garden, is he mine?

"comment removed"

The done thing these days is not to call a fellow forum member "old" or "racist" as it's offensive to the rest of us.

Edited by Grace & Favour
original "comment removed"

And as boaters do not have landlines we have to pay to call the 0800 number on our mobile phones. Why not have a normal 01, 02 type number that is included in our standard 'free' calls on our contracts.

Have you checked lately with your provider? I know some do include it now including 3

Obviously. No true blue Englishman would ever do a thing like that, dammit. Mind you, I suppose it might be someone from a Council house, they're almost as bad as johnny foreigner.

I think it was ISIS. Your supposition doesn't hold water anyway as all the Council houses were given to Jonny Foreigner years ago