Collison in the Canal!

Dharl

Featured Posts

OK a little larger than what we normally discuss, but some people might find this of interest! Local Port agent in Suez passed following to me:-

Today (29th September) there has been one Accident between two container’s vessels in the Suez canal in Port said in the 2nd South Bound convoy between m/v COLOMBO EXPRESS belong to Hapag-Lioyd and m/v MAERSK TANJONG belong to MAERSK line

Pls see the below video Showing the accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ktwo-k-onk

The clip is about 5 mins long and shows the two vessels having dropped pilots then increasing to full speed in shallow water which caused an interaction between the two hulls and a collision!

Anyone who knows about shipping law knows they don't want to be involved in "General Average" if it gets called by either of the ships Captains!

Yes the Lloyds Ship was the overtaking ship (Rule 13) so was responsible for keeping clear of the Maersk Ship until safely passed. Or ideally they could have waited about 20 mins, followed the Maersk into deeper water clear of the port where would have been able to put on the speed and safely overtake!

Today (29th September) there has been one Accident between two container’s vessels in the Suez canal in Port said in the 2nd South Bound convoy between m/v COLOMBO EXPRESS belong to Hapag-Lioyd and m/v MAERSK TANJONG belong to MAERSK line

Anyone who knows about shipping law knows they don't want to be involved in "General Average" if it gets called by either of the ships Captains!

If they were in a southbound convoy out of Port Said, why would they have dropped pilots? Wouldn't that put them heading into the canal with pilots required?

I don't see how general average could be applied to an obviously negligent act. The Lloyd's ship should be liable for damages to the Maersk ship and it seems Lloyd would be on pretty shaky ground if they tried to pass the cost of damages off to their cargo owners.

Edited by Paul G2

I don't think the clip shows an interaction between the two hulls and a collision due to both ships increasing to full speed in shallow water. I think it shows a collision as the result of both skippers being complete fools!

Edited by Grace & Favour
Edited to remove inappropriate language
  • Greenie 1

If they were in a southbound convoy out of Port Said, why would they have dropped pilots? Wouldn't that put them heading into the canal with pilots required?

I don't see how general average could be applied to an obviously negligent act. The Lloyd's ship should be liable for damages to the Maersk ship and it seems Lloyd would be on pretty shaky ground if they tried to pass the cost of damages off to their cargo owners.

To be fair its fairly obvoious what happened and the Happag- Lloyd is at fault so GA will not be an factor. The agents said it was a SB convoy, however with the way the vessels increased speec it looked like they had just dropped pilots rather than slower down for the canal passage. It has been a number of years since been that way so would be hard pressed to identify the exact location without some more legwork.

Human Error in all cases.

To be fair its fairly obvoious what happened and the Happag- Lloyd is at fault so GA will not be an factor. The agents said it was a SB convoy, however with the way the vessels increased speec it looked like they had just dropped pilots rather than slower down for the canal passage. It has been a number of years since been that way so would be hard pressed to identify the exact location without some more legwork. Human Error in all cases., much like me assuming that it happened when pilots where dropped, not necessarrly the case!! :-)

I agree that the Happag-Lloyd is at fault, but surely it's also up to both ships to avoid a collision - and neither made any effort to do that.

Yes it is both vessels responsibilities to keep clear but the camera was too far away to see what actions both vessels did. Trouble being with interaction on large ships you get to a stage and there is not much you can do. Am sure the HL had her helm hard over and full astern and maybe the Maersk was increasing speed to full to try and draw ahead. Will have to wait and see the accident reports comes out!

knowing nothing at about container ships a question comes to mind, how are the containers secured on the deck and how stable is that ship?

to a complete ignoramus about shipping on that scale it looks bloody unstable to me, can someone explain?

http://www.containerhandbuch.de/chb_e/stra/index.html?/chb_e/stra/stra_01_03_02.html

Edited by blackrose

To be fair its fairly obvoious what happened and the Happag- Lloyd is at fault so GA will not be an factor. The agents said it was a SB convoy, however with the way the vessels increased speec it looked like they had just dropped pilots rather than slower down for the canal passage. It has been a number of years since been that way so would be hard pressed to identify the exact location without some more legwork.

Human Error in all cases.

But surely boating is a contact sport, isn't it?biggrin.png

Howard

Did anyone manage to understand the commentary from the group of men around the cameraman? Did these gongoozlers say anything of interest? It was all a bit drowned out by wind noise, and presumably in Arabic, so I got nothing.

Something about ....."why haven't they got their fenders down" I think!

Howard

Yes it is both vessels responsibilities to keep clear but the camera was too far away to see what actions both vessels did. Trouble being with interaction on large ships you get to a stage and there is not much you can do. Am sure the HL had her helm hard over and full astern and maybe the Maersk was increasing speed to full to try and draw ahead. Will have to wait and see the accident reports comes out!

That didn't really look like interaction between the two ships, but more like the HL opening the gap to the Maersk and trying to avoid any such interaction, but in doing so, getting too close to what looks to be quite shallow water to starboard. Just as the HL starts the shear to port there appears to be a breaking wave caused by the draw from the HL, growing out from the starboard shore. From this point on the collision is inevitable, once a vessel of this size, or indeed even a much smaller ship, has smelled the ground and begun such a violent shear in relatively shallow and confined waters, there is really nothing that can be done. The Maersk would appear blameless and the collision caused by the HL's serious misjudgement in attempting to overtake in a too narrow and shallow channel.