Oops

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

I really think skippers of boats should have training and pass a test before they are allowed to take a boat out captain.gif

, it has been quoted that the collisions may have been due to a pilotage error.

Pilots are qualified

Richard

I can see how the boat hulls could be damaged, but how does a dredger snagging mooring lines result in the boats being dismasted?

Presumably when the yachts have become entangled in each other!

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/537360/yachts-smashed-in-dredger-collision

Sorry, My comment was me being cynical.

Every time there is a boat related incident every one calls for training and qualifications. Just look at the incidents caused by trained, qualified skippers.

That's very true . . . One of my old skippers always reckoned that the main difference between amateur balls ups and those made by professionals, was that the professional ones were usually more spectacular.

Knowing the area well there are rows of moored boats on both sides of the Medway with a channel between them probably about 150 meters wide. These lines of moorings go right round a long bend which is quite tight to a ship of this size. This ship will have had a captain with a masters certificate and probably two certificated deck officers with many years of experience, Due to ship being based in Rochester and doing this trip several times a week the master may also hold a Medway pilots certificate.

As to how do yachts get dismasted or damaged by several thousand tons of steel side swiping them I wonder if tthe questioner has ever seen a boat collision. Don't forget as they were stationary and have been there for years, any impact is not their fault, and the master is obviously trying to downplay the incident.