Polarity Warning Light

Celestine

Featured Posts

Hi,

First thing I must point out, I know nothing about electrics.

We have just noticed that the polarity warning light on the 240v panel is not illuminated. We returned from our two week cruise to our marina last Wednesday, we think it's not been working since then.

Everything on the 240 volt circuit is working, so no problem there so what does this light not working mean?

I know there is a problem, not sure what, with some of the electric posts in the marina.

We have a Galvanic Isolator fitted, does this have any impact?

Many thanks!

If its a bulb has it brocken .

check voltage across back with your multimeter.

terminals

I mean

If you "know nothing about electrics", don't go messing with a multimeter on a live 230v circuit !!

Edited by Kwacker

If its a warning light , surely it would only be lit if there is a fault, and the fact that it is not lit means there is no fault.

If it's a similar design to my 230v panel it's "correct polarity" so is normally illuminated.

Frank

It is probably wired between live and earth. If it no longer illuminates there are various possibilities including the bulb blown (although it's probably a neon, and they are very reliable) or a lack of earth connection, possibly as a result of a faulty GI. I would get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing with mains electricity. In the short term you could get a socket-testing plug that you plug into a socket on the boat whilst it's on shore power, it will have lights to indicate correct polarity etc. and if that it satisfactory it is reasonable to assume it's an indicator fault.

If it's a similar design to my 230v panel it's "correct polarity" so is normally illuminated.

We have a warning light by the consumer unit that lights up when we connect to the mains on a mooring. If it doesn't light it is either broken, or warns that there is reverse polarity to the boat, i.e. the positive and negative on the supply socket could be crossed.

I'd by a cheap socket tester from the likes of Screwfix/Toolstation/Maplins/Amazon/Ebay/CPC/eleccy distributors.... will help identify wiring faults.

82826.jpg

Three lights mean OK so a failed light won't give a false positive. Also handy if running the boat off genny or inverter as there can often be earthing problems with that.

But as a first step you could get a reputable and competent boatyard person or friend/neighbour similarly skilled to check the shoreline cable is wired OK, wouldn't be surprised if it's faulty.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Neons have a finite life which is surprisingly short especially compared to LED's. For some reason green ones have the shortest life span as I recall!

However get someone who knows what they are doing...it's really not hard to kill yourself with 240v.

Cheers

Gareth

Neons have a finite life which is surprisingly short especially compared to LED's. For some reason green ones have the shortest life span as I recall!

However get someone who knows what they are doing...it's really not hard to kill yourself with 240v.

Cheers

Gareth

Presumably if it's green it's not neon!

Thanks for all the replies.

I've purchased the recommended plug tester from Screwfix. Tested all the sockets and they are showing all correct.

I guess I now need to check the warning light. As the power light on the panel is working can I just switch the feeds over to see if the polarity light works?

Thanks!

Ah, you mean live and neutral. Profuse apologies.

Actually, the terms "live" and "neutral" don't make much sense to me either. Why are they so named?

in domestic supplies, the neutral circuit is earthed.

Have a look at the way one of those little transformers on a pole is wired up. (photo following)

ok, have had lunch now, looking at this transformer..

http://judgefamily.org.uk/2014/garnllys-transformer.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

But presumably they are not actually neon, or at least not entirely neon, since neon glows amber/red colour?

Stop being such a pedant! The are still called neons but may use a different gas hence the different life spans before failure....

My point was they can and do fail. Sometimes sooner than you might think.

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks for all the replies.

I've purchased the recommended plug tester from Screwfix. Tested all the sockets and they are showing all correct.

I guess I now need to check the warning light. As the power light on the panel is working can I just switch the feeds over to see if the polarity light works?

Thanks!

Good to hear, gives some confidence the supply is OK.

Something else useful to have is a 'volt stick':

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=volt+stick&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/non-contact-ac-voltage-detector-n10by

If the volt stick lights up on a socket (always good to test it first), but neither of the neon wires, then the neon isn't getting a supply.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Stop being such a pedant! The are still called neons but may use a different gas hence the different life spans before failure....

My point was they can and do fail. Sometimes sooner than you might think.

Cheers

Gareth

I was hoping for an interesting discussion on the chemical makeup of coloured "neons" but since it seems you prefer issuing insults in order to cover up your ignorance, rather than discussing it, I guess I'll look elsewhere.

I don't doubt that they fail, although they do have a longer life than an incandescent lamp. It will depend on how hard they are driven as well.

I was hoping for an interesting discussion on the chemical makeup of coloured "neons" but since it seems you prefer issuing insults in order to cover up your ignorance, rather than discussing it, I guess I'll look elsewhere.

I don't doubt that they fail, although they do have a longer life than an incandescent lamp. It will depend on how hard they are driven as well.

Whilst I would be happy for such a discussion this topic isn't the place! I was pointing out that neon type (happy now?) lamps do fail. And also that the green type have less of a lifespan than other colours. This is important when they are used as a safe state indicator and therefore on all the time. It's also why I like to fit an "incorrect polarity" indicator as well as it gives a back up.

Cheers

Gareth

PS..you lead a sheltered life if you class being called a pedant as an insult!

If you touch live, you cease to live. I am neutral about touching neutral because nothing should happen.

So it should be "not live" for the live and if you are in the habit of touch neutral beware. It can be live, such as when the lecy board guys replaced the cables between my father-in-law's bungalow and the transformer and got them wrong.

Or, to put it another way, you don't know. Fair enough, even you can't know everything.

.. if you are in the habit of touch neutral beware. It can be live, such as when the lecy board guys replaced the cables between my father-in-law's bungalow and the transformer and got them wrong.

Or, to put it another way, you don't know. Fair enough, even you can't know everything.

That's why I said nothing "should" happen, not nothing "will" happen!