Long Term Narrow Boat Rental Around Loughborough

single again

Featured Posts

Ok People of the water, Ive been asked by a friend of mine whose boat is moored in a Marina Close to Loughborough to see if anyone would be interested in Renting/buying his boat on a long term rent , His boat is a 2005 57` Narrow boat reverse layout with 1 fitted double bed, would suit either a single person or a couple, The rent is to include Mooring fee`s Insurance and License, Hes asking £500 PCM payable 6 months a time upfront.If you want to view the boat shes on ABNB Ref No 2610 If anyone is interested Inbox me with your number and ill forward it on to him

• Greenie 1

The boat does have a current bss till june 2016 as for anything else i cannot be sure apart from the marina yes they do no, Ideally our friend wants to sell the boat but is just keeping his options open as the winter months approach

The current BSS will not be sufficient unless it is the one undertaken for a boat that is to be hired out.

Plenty of people seem to think you can just rent out you boat when in fact you can't unless you meet additional requirements, including licence conditions and a more stringent BSS exam.

That said of course loads seem to do it and get away with it.... Until something goes wrong perhaps.

Edited by The Dog House

This is the problem with todays modern life to many bloody hoops to jump through to many rules and regulations, Dont shoot the messenger guys im just trying to help someone out in his time of need. If the BSS is good enogh for the owner to live on personally i cant see the difference

• Greenie 1

This is the problem with todays modern life to many bloody hoops to jump through to many rules and regulations, Dont shoot the messenger guys im just trying to help someone out in his time of need. If the BSS is good enogh for the owner to live on personally i cant see the difference

Couldn't agree more.

However if the BSS is not valid, the insurance may not be (if your mate doesn't tell the insurance company it is let, his insurance may be invalid anyway), and if the marina let slip to C&RT about it being let, the license will be invalid because it has no BSS.

Bit of a minefield your mate may be walking into. As previously mentioned, others do it and get away with it, but Sod's Law will clobber someone sooner or later.

As said its got a current |BSS till 2016 I for one cant see the difference in a BSS for an owner or one for someone whose Renting. As said just helping someone out in his hour of need .

The requirements are different.

Essentially, there are requirements that a hire boat must meet that a private boat need not meet.

If the BSS exam was conducted as a private boat then it is not suitable for use as a hire boat.

In addition, the licence for a hire boat costs more than for a private boat.

Please don't see this as shooting the messenger. rather it is sound advice in response to a frequently asked question.

The fact that you can't see the difference is matterless TBH.

However the fact is it is different.

No body is shooting anybody here just pointing out that their are potential flaws in your friends plan to rent. Your friend can ignore the advice if he wishes, of course they can.

It won't be the first time somebody asking the very same on here has not taken on board or liked the advice being given, which is always given in good faith.

Edited by The Dog House

And then there is the question about gas certificates for a rented livaboard boat.

That's twice the OP says "don't shoot the messenger" and argued that a private boat BSS should be good enough for a rented one, despite being told by more than one person there are different requirements.

To the OP - it is you that should not be attempting to shoot the messengers just because you do not like or do not see the relevance of what you have been told. Like it or not you have been given the correct information and are duty bound to pass it onto the friend. Then if he/she decides to ignore the advice it is their decision ad its they who have to face the consequences.

Whatever you may think you have been given the correct facts.

• Greenie 1

As said its got a current |BSS till 2016 I for one cant see the difference in a BSS for an owner or one for someone whose Renting. As said just helping someone out in his hour of need .

You've helped him by asking the questions. You have been given sound advice by more than one person and if you decide to ignore it that is your business but please don't criticise those who are trying to help you and your friend.

Howard

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/private-boats/

and because it becomes a 'hire boat' and not 'private'

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/non-private-boats/

and the word from C&RT

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing/choosing-and-buying-your-licence

Look for 'Useful downloads' on right hand side

If the boat is for sale or rent, you might want to post the price and a link to the listing in your original post. There are quite a few people reading this forum that are looking for boats to buy.

There are some long-term boat rental companies that get around the rental boat requirements by selling a timeshare in the boat that happens to coincide with the amount of rent paid. It's a bit of a dodgy prospect in some respects, but it is done.

Shooting the messenger works both ways, but the main point your friend needs to understand is that an unauthorized rental could void the boat insurance. Essentially your friend would be taking the gamble that collecting £3,000 rent would not result in £45,000 uninsured damage to the boat. Maybe your friend is a gambler and that is an acceptable risk, but you certainly can't fault people for trying to point it out to you.

Another thing for your friend to consider is that a tenant can devalue a boat by £10,000 real quick. You have no guarantee that the tenant will treat the boat with kid gloves and it's real easy to scratch the walls, chip the paint, burn the floor, tear the upholstery... you get the picture.

Ok People of the water, Ive been asked by a friend of mine whose boat is moored in a Marina Close to Loughborough to see if anyone would be interested in Renting/buying his boat on a long term rent , His boat is a 2005 57` Narrow boat reverse layout with 1 fitted double bed, would suit either a single person or a couple, The rent is to include Mooring fee`s Insurance and License, Hes asking £500 PCM payable 6 months a time upfront.If you want to view the boat shes on ABNB Ref No 2610 If anyone is interested Inbox me with your number and ill forward it on to him

Just wondering, does your friend not have internet access?

If the boat is for sale or rent, you might want to post the price and a link to the listing in your original post. There are quite a few people reading this forum that are looking for boats to buy.

I was going to point out that this is an open forum read by CRT employees and marina owners, both of whom will be interested in talking to the boat owner (see above re: making money from your boat)

As it's on ABNB, the cat is out of the bag now

Richard

I was going to point out that this is an open forum read by CRT employees and marina owners, both of whom will be interested in talking to the boat owner (see above re: making money from your boat)

As it's on ABNB, the cat is out of the bag now

Richard

Hadn't even thought of that...

People who enforce laws must get a real kick out of it when lawbreakers post their aspirations or exploits on the internet for all to see.

I think the OP was just innocently passing along some information for a friend and didn't even know about the different licensing requirements, but, like you said, the cat is now out of the bag.

I'll tell you what, though, even if the owner jumped through all the regulatory and insurance hoops, I still wouldn't rent the boat out if I wanted to sell it for £49,000. It's a nice looking boat and it would be easy for a careless tenant to devalue it well beyond any rent that might be collected.

I appreciate that it's difficult reading, and having people pour cold water over an idea when you're only trying to help a friend. But please do bear in mind that what you're getting here isn't intended out of malice or spite, but is pointing out the many potential problems the owner of the boat might face if they do try and let it Unofficially, without the correct paperwork.

There's lots of other practicalities that could be an issue, too- who is going to maintain the boat whilst it is rented. If, for example, the water pump packs up, who's going to come and fix it?

There are some long-term boat rental companies that get around the rental boat requirements by selling a timeshare in the boat that happens to coincide with the amount of rent paid. It's a bit of a dodgy prospect in some respects, but it is done.

How is it dodgy?

Discussion forum time;

Many boats are lived on under shared ownership.

Boat is registered on SSR part III

Person A owns 63 shares

Person B owns one share

Person B lives on the boat, licenses it ( meeting all statutory reqs and ongoing regulations), insures it third party ( eg Basic Boat )

Person B pays A a monthly management fee which includes ordinary BSS and maintenance of systems.

All this is written as a contract.

Issues?

• Greenie 1

Yes, there's issues.

Discussion forum time;

Many boats are lived on under shared ownership.

Boat is registered on SSR part III
Person A owns 63 shares
Person B owns one share

Person B lives on the boat, licenses it ( meeting all statutory reqs and ongoing regulations), insures it third party ( eg Basic Boat )

Person B pays A a monthly management fee which includes ordinary BSS and maintenance of systems.

All this is written as a contract.

Issues?

Person B pays A something which looks like rent, and quacks like rent.

Seems a little vague.

You can't prosecute (or refuse a license to) something that 'quacks like rent'. There would have to be a more definite infringement of something for it to be a breach of any law or rules.

I can see issues for the minority owner. Security being a big one. But a contract with clauses covering dissolution of the shared ownership should cover that.

There are shared ownership boats on all sorts of deal, there was a two way share proposed recently by a South African, is that dodgy?

Seems a little vague.

You can't prosecute (or refuse a license to) something that 'quacks like rent'. There would have to be a more definite infringement of something for it to be a breach of any law or rules.

I can see issues for the minority owner. Security being a big one. But a contract with clauses covering dissolution of the shared ownership should cover that.

There are shared ownership boats on all sorts of deal, there was a two way share proposed recently by a South African, is that dodgy?

I'll agree, your post #22 was vague only in one respect - the amount of 'monthly management fee' - but quite detailed in other areas. I think this is the crux of the issue, if this fee is just to cover management and BSS etc then it needs to be justified as such, if its unjustifiably high then its going to be seen as rent - ie a regular payment for the use/enjoyment of the boat, which is (63/64) owned by another.

The proposed two way share by the SA was an idea which (if I remember correctly) didn't have specific details (ie of amounts payable by each party) nor was taken up by anyone, at least publically. Of course its possible that someone PM'd the poster and a deal was arranged but, as far as the public forum posts are concerned, we don't know the details. Without these facts, I can't say if its dodgy or not.