Holding down a job and continuous cruising

TheyAllFloatDownHere

Featured Posts

No they wouldn't, not in John's case, he owns property and as such is a safe bet for credit.

Which was one of the reasons I made sure I kept the house when I bought the boat. I know that it's not always an option, but for me it was essential. The house is plan "B".

It still doesn't make it any easier to insure my car, though.

Saga will not cover a car older than 30 years, (I asked, as they were already covering the boat for residential and cruising use) and my Land Rover is 46 this year. Also, when I used to live in Stoke on Trent, I kept it on the drive, paying £180 fully comprehensive with an agreed valuation. I expected to pay more, what with moving to London and my premium isn't *that* much higher than some of my colleagues at work.

When I moved onto the boat, the fact I was going to be living on a boat was given as the reason they ( Lancaster) were going to cancel the insurance after the statutory 7 days notice. The *only* company quoting for insurance while I am living on a boat was Sabre. I tried a few brokers, who all came up with the same answer. I have since renewed, and once again, Sabre are the only company willing to cover me. The postcode doesn't matter as far as getting cover is concerned, it's living on a boat that matters.

We are Marina based and our cars were insured through Direct Line for the last 10 years (and currently with Sheila's Wheels.) No problem at all as we told them that it was kept in a locked compound overnight (with no increase in premium.)

Tony

About fuel boats, They pass! If you are at work they don't wait for you, so if they pass without a sale you have to go to the local gas/coal/diesel supplier by car boat or foot, and carry the stuff home having paid full price for white diesel to run things that need gas oil/red diesel.

The last forum suggestion was that a "unit" of electricity costs about 10p from the mains, but costs about £1 from a generator or the main engine run for battery charging.

A boat is cheaper (you get more boat for £10K that you get flat or house) BUT with a boat you will NEED to put in 20 hours a week just to keep living there.

Just a note on getting credit when you liveaboard - if you live on a fully residential mooring (i..e recognised as such by the local authority, liable for council tax, on the electoral roll) there's no ostensible difference to living on land. I've successfully applied for and been given substantial credit since living aboard - no different than if I lived in a rented flat.

Something to be aware of is that, should you plan to get credit or a mortgage in future, you really need to be on the electoral roll. This is not the same as registering to vote as a No Fixed Abode CCer. There was a thread on this recently: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=65394 Living on a boat may seem like fun now, but if your circumstances change in future you'll be glad you thought this through beforehand.

On car insurance - again, having a residential mooring makes it all easy - we've never struggled to insure our cars or motorbikes since living aboard. The only odd question is about whether we own or rent our home - the true answer is both! We tend to err on the side of honesty and let the insurance agent decide how to answer it :)

There are residential moorings in London - the very central ones cost a lot of money, the ones in the outer zones are much more affordable, although you then need to factor in travel costs. The ones with facilities can be a great place to learn about living aboard whilst retaining a back up of onshore shower, laundry, electric hook up etc. Check out High Line Yachting, Willowtree marina, Engineers Wharf (CRT), Willow Wren Wharf (CRT), Packet Boat marina, Moorhen marina (CRT) for starters, and register for the CRT auction alert emails. The really desirable private online moorings do come up occasionally, but tend to be exchanged on a word of mouth basis - make lots of friends on the cut and you'll hear about them :D It worked for us and for other boaters we know!

About fuel boats, They pass! If you are at work they don't wait for you, so if they pass without a sale you have to go to the local gas/coal/diesel supplier by car boat or foot, and carry the stuff home having paid full price for white diesel to run things that need gas oil/red diesel.

The last forum suggestion was that a "unit" of electricity costs about 10p from the mains, but costs about £1 from a generator or the main engine run for battery charging.

A boat is cheaper (you get more boat for £10K that you get flat or house) BUT with a boat you will NEED to put in 20 hours a week just to keep living there.

Contact the fuel boat in advance. Arrange your delivery and method of payment and delivery will be made in your absence.

I had several customers I could not recognise because I never saw them, despite several years of successful delivery and payment. It is all about trust. I ended my service after a number of years without a single bad debt so the system works.

George ex nb Alton retired

Contact the fuel boat in advance. Arrange your delivery and method of payment and delivery will be made in your absence.

I had several customers I could not recognise because I never saw them, despite several years of successful delivery and payment. It is all about trust. I ended my service after a number of years without a single bad debt so the system works.

George ex nb Alton retired

The remaining fuel boats in London take orders only. If you are a reliable customer, then you will get a reliable service. I have always ordered by text, every month and paid by internet banking.

Saga will not cover a car older than 30 years, (I asked, as they were already covering the boat for residential and cruising use) and my Land Rover is 46 this year.

Have you tried Footman James?

I insured my series 2 Land Rovers with them for many years and never made any secret of the fact that I lived on a boat.

I insured my "modern" cars with Swintons, usually, as it was easier to talk to a face than a screen and they have a local office.

I insured my "modern" cars with Swintons, usually, as it was easier to talk to a face than a screen and they have a local office.

I was with Swinton's until about 3 years ago, but changed to Saga.

Every year I get a letter from Swintons reminding me my Car insurance is due and give them the chance to offer a quote.

This year I did - ensuring everything (including excess) was on a like for like basis.

Swinton £258

Saga £106

Then got the hard-sell from Swinton, but if you are still with us in 3 months we give you a £50 refund - OK I say, so why should I pay £200 when Saga is £106.

Well - I can give you maximum discretionary discount and make the premium £200, less the £50 in 3 months time, so can I sign you up ?

No

Why not ?

Why should I pay £150 when Saga is £106.

On & On & On.......

In the end had to put the phone down.

Both my local fuel boats will deliver coal, gas and diesel to the boat if I'm not there, as long as I pay by card. One of them even has a standing order with a couple of my neighbours to pump out their holding tanks each time the fuel boat passes.

It's a matter of trust and a wireless card machine.

I was with Swinton's until about 3 years ago, but changed to Saga.

Every year I get a letter from Swintons reminding me my Car insurance is due and give them the chance to offer a quote.

This year I did - ensuring everything (including excess) was on a like for like basis.

Swinton £258

Saga £106

Then got the hard-sell from Swinton, but if you are still with us in 3 months we give you a £50 refund - OK I say, so why should I pay £200 when Saga is £106.

Well - I can give you maximum discretionary discount and make the premium £200, less the £50 in 3 months time, so can I sign you up ?

No

Why not ?

Why should I pay £150 when Saga is £106.

On & On & On.......

In the end had to put the phone down.

I'm not a liveaboard, but a couple of years ago I changed my car insurance from Aviva to the Aviva-owned internet-only QuoteMeHappy.com. When I told Aviva I wasn't going to renew and they called me I asked them to get a bit closer (but not necessarily match) the QMH price. They wouldn't give me a bean, although they agreed that the cover was similar. All they could say was that I could speak to Avviva on the phone at any time, whereas QMH is all through the website. But since this was the first phone conversation I'd had with any car insurer in years, and it wasn't exactly getting me anywhere...

Came up the Buckby today with a really nice couple 8 year old son at school and a 4 month old baby. They move every 14 days over quite a range but reckon never more than 30 mins drive from school. Holds down a job , only luxury is 2 cars as he needs one to get to work with a shift pattern.

They have been CCing over a year and seem to be loving it. Only issue for them is that they wanted to increase their cruising pattern to include Stoke Breune but it's not feasible with short stay moorings.