quote for wood burner installation

Phil1884

Featured Posts

Hi, I've just had a quote from a local fire installer of £1355 for the installation of my wood burner which came with my sailaway.

I just wondered what people's thoughts were on this, I would like to get some more quotes but what with winter approaching and having been unable to find a company who were willing to fit one on a boat I am reluctant to wait much longer, especially seeing as the earliest they can fit it is November.

the work they are going to do includes fitting a twin wall insulated flue system with decktite weather flashing and the buildig of a hearth and suitable fire proofing. They also need to increase the diameter of the hole in the roof that my builder left, I assume, because the double wall flue is wider.

I understand a lot of the cost comes from the double insulated system, but it seems that installers will not use the single wall flue as a precaution.

Hi, I've just had a quote from a local fire installer of £1355 for the installation of my wood burner which came with my sailaway.

I just wondered what people's thoughts were on this, I would like to get some more quotes but what with winter approaching and having been unable to find a company who were willing to fit one on a boat I am reluctant to wait much longer, especially seeing as the earliest they can fit it is November.

the work they are going to do includes fitting a twin wall insulated flue system with decktite weather flashing and the buildig of a hearth and suitable fire proofing. They also need to increase the diameter of the hole in the roof that my builder left, I assume, because the double wall flue is wider.

I understand a lot of the cost comes from the double insulated system, but it seems that installers will not use the single wall flue as a precaution.

I'm no expert, but I don't think a Dektite is the right way to go on a narrowboat.

"Normal" practice seems to be to use a chimney collar like this one:

cast_iron_chimney_collar.jpg

Have these guys installed on a narrowboat before? Are they aware of the requirements of the BSS?

I'd check before shelling out a lump of cash....

Hi Paul, there is already a collar fitted but he says it's too small for the double wall flue. They are an established local firm and he seemed to be clued up on the differences in legislation between house and boat but I will ask him about the decktite, surely a larger collar would be more suitable?

Professional installers are very reluctant to use a single-skin flue because it doesn't conform to BS8511:2010, which isn't a requirement (but is a recommendation). That price, unfortunately, is about right. You could save a lot by DIY.

Being discussed in this thread right now:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=70005

Probably worth a read....

Interesting indeed. I wish I had the confidence to do it myself with the single wall flue but being a very small boat (25ft) and with space even more tight I'd rather have the fireproofing done professionally. I will stick to the plumbing and woodwork.

I'd certainly echo PaulG's comment about changing the collar. You do need to be sure that the flue terminal (or chimney) is going to be practical on a boat eg such that it can be whipped off when approaching that rather lower than expected bridge!

You don't really want to crunch your splendid new and expensive insulated flue terminal on a bridge! Maybe your installers will be doing something that is OK but most proprietary insulated systems I've seen so far don't impress me on the practicality front.

There is a little outfit that I think does do good stuff that meets BS8511 but they seem to have moved. If I find their new no I'll post it on here.

Richard

A dektite flashing is just the job if you want a stove installed in a shed. But completely wrong for a boat. With a dektite, the flue will pass straight through and you won't be able to fit a removable chimney, which is essential if your boat is actually to move anywhere.

That your installer hasn't understood this point seems to me to be good enough reason to go elsewhere.

Hi Richard, he asked me about any low bridges in the area and said that you can remove the terminal quickly with the use of a standard allen key. If you can find that number that would be great!

Remove it with an allen key? How do you do that when you've just realised that the bridge is too low for the chimney and you need to remove it NOW?

no doubt the installer is 'HETAS' registered and so applying 'house' standards. Recently had to pay £450 to have a stove removed and replaced with another (provided by me) because I needed the installation certifying... He was the only one of 3 'hetas' solid fuel stove guys I rang up that turned up to look at the job... its an even bigger rip off than gas safe and part p for lectrics....

even so £1350 seems a bit steep - Puffer parts were advertising a compliant insulated flue set up a while ago so might be worth trying them to see if its suitable for your set up... bet you won't need an allen key to go under bridges with it either...

got windless - check

got handcuff key - check

got BW key - check

got allen key for low bridges..... wacko.png

Thanks for the replies again. The flashing isn't actually adjusted, it's the top part and cowl that is adjusted.

no doubt the installer is 'HETAS' registered and so applying 'house' standards. Recently had to pay £450 to have a stove removed and replaced with another (provided by me) because I needed the installation certifying... He was the only one of 3 'hetas' solid fuel stove guys I rang up that turned up to look at the job... its an even bigger rip off than gas safe and part p for lectrics....

even so £1350 seems a bit steep - Puffer parts were advertising a compliant insulated flue set up a while ago so might be worth trying them to see if its suitable for your set up... bet you won't need an allen key to go under bridges with it either...

got windless - check

got handcuff key - check

got BW key - check

got allen key for low bridges..... wacko.png

They are also building the hearth too which adds about 300 on top

It might be wise to go and talk to other boaters, look at their installations, before agreeing to this fitter's plans. IMO the reason for having a single skin flue inside the boat is to allow more heat out into the boat, not to waste it going up a nice warm insulated flue to heat up the outside world. You must have a removable chimney pipe on the outside, and one needing an allen key will, I confidently predict, hit a bridge or tree and cause damage sooner or later. You will then go over to the "traditional" system that all the rest of us have, because it is the most practical.

Doesn't sound like an installation that'll work well at all if you want to move your boat.

An allen bolt will seize, round off, shear or any combination of the above. The tried and tested chimney collar would be my personal preference.

I found at least one installer that recommends the Dektite for boat installations:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/boat-barge-stove.html

But I thought it a bit strange that none of the pictures actually shows a boat installation:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Roof-Flashings.html

I think it's a case of installers trying to use standard domestic products in a boating environment, with little or no experience of the practicalities of the installation.

Fiddling around with an Allen key every time you need to take the chimney down is a non-starter, IMHO.

I would be happy to recommend a company based in Braunstone Direct Maria components they make and install the whole system and have fitted this on many boats they are good honest craftsmen with years of experience I am at home now but if you ring me tomorrow I will give you the number my mobile is 07595269594 hope this helps regards Martín (Kedian engineering ltd)

I would be happy to recommend a company based in Braunstone Direct Maria components they make and install the whole system and have fitted this on many boats they are good honest craftsmen with years of experience I am at home now but if you ring me tomorrow I will give you the number my mobile is 07595269594 hope this helps regards Martín (Kedian engineering ltd)

Martin, It was me that rang you asking for Roy and Dale Willoughby's contact details earlier today!!

I rang the number you gave me to ask them if it would be OK to publish it on here but I've had no reply from them as yet.

I'll bow out now but for Phil1884's benefit ref my earlier post (#7) Martin is talking about the same company I was recommending.

(Just for the record - I have no connection with either Martin or the Willoughbys, apart from having used Martin's services once for the fabrication of an excellent day tank and having seen what Dale and Roy's flue etc systems looked like at a time when the famous BS 8511 had just been issued).

Richard

Thanks Richard I have spoken to them and they are happy for their telephone number to be shared please feel free to post it if you want to

Have a good evening Martin

OK then, the number (that I got from Martin!) is 07973 868625, Roy and Dale Willoughby.

They used to call themselves Warstock Developments Ltd but maybe that has changed as I can't find their website anymore.

They've also moved to Wayside, Braunston Business Park, London Road Braunston. I know that Beacon Boats used to use them to do their stove installations and also I think, Braidbar.

Richard