Flu pipe regs

Featured Posts

As I understand it the Boat Safety Scheme has not adopted the changes and you can still fit a normal stovepipe and collar in the same way its always been done on canal boats.

I welcome correction on this if it is incorrect.

Don't know about RCD that might be different.

Does anyone know when insulated flu pipe became the recommend requirement on a multi fuel stove?

I am fitting a multi fuel stove in a 2007 boat for myself and wondered if I have to use an insulated flu pipe.

As always, the question you first need answering is with which regulations are you are obliged to comply.

Once you have the answer to this, you can look up whether yo need an insulated flue.

As other have suggested, BSS doesn't require it. RCD may, so you need to sort out whether you want or need your boat to be RCD compliant.

And it's 'flue' by the way, not 'flu'.

MtB

2007 boat --> don't need to follow RCD (due to age of boat)

retro-fitting of stove after completion of a boat --> don't need to follow RCD (due to boat being completed already)

BSS doesn't require an insulated flue

So you have no worries fitting a single-skinned flue. Having said that, there exists BS8511:2010 which is deemed a reasonable recommendation (but nothing more than that). Its worth looking at it and complying as best as you can with the dimension requirements (for example, have a look at the front step if you're putting the stove in the front corner) and using the correct heatboard etc. But don't worry about HAVING to comply with the double-skinned flue requirement - just use the dimensions provided for single-skin flue.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-chimney-documentation/Installing-stoves-on-boats.pdf

As always, the question you first need answering is with which regulations are you are obliged to comply.

Once you have the answer to this, you can look up whether yo need an insulated flue.

As other have suggested, BSS doesn't require it. RCD may, so you need to sort out whether you want or need your boat to be RCD compliant.

And it's 'flue' by the way, not 'flu'.

Why do you feel it's acceptable to take it upon yourself to correct another persons spelling publically ?

They could dyslexic for all you know and for someone asking for PayPal donations in your sig I would watch yourself as abusive behaviour is a breach of their terms resulting in your account being suspended.

Would you have the same attitude face to face and correct him dropping his letters?

I somehow doubt it now manners yourself as your behaviour is out of order.

MtB

I understood that the BSS did not make insulated flues mandatory but at my last BSS inspection the examiner told me that if I ever had to change the stove I would have to fit an insulated flue so maybe its a new requirement or maybe he did not understand that the BS is only advisory at present. I think a comment from Rob (BSS) is called for.

Now we have the BS I suspect it is mandatory for RCD purposes.

I understood that the BSS did not make insulated flues mandatory but at my last BSS inspection the examiner told me that if I ever had to change the stove I would have to fit an insulated flue so maybe its a new requirement or maybe he did not understand that the BS is only advisory at present. I think a comment from Rob (BSS) is called for.

Having just had to have a new stove fitted, keeping the old single skinned flue which was in good condition, and subsequently passed the BSS I would suggest that your examiner may have been mistaken or just scaremongering

Why do you feel it's acceptable to take it upon yourself to correct another persons spelling publically ?

They could dyslexic for all you know and for someone asking for PayPal donations in your sig I would watch yourself as abusive behaviour is a breach of their terms resulting in your account being suspended.

Would you have the same attitude face to face and correct him dropping his letters?

I somehow doubt it now manners yourself as your behaviour is out of order.

Do you have anything constructive to add to the thread?

MtB

Yes I gave you contructive crit on your manners.

Ahem moving on..

The answer to your question Captain Jack having just recently fitted a new single skin flue in a boat myself and having a recent BSS is no you don't need an insulated flue so save your money.

Just don't present your old BSS cert showing a different stove to the new one you may be about to buy!!

Remember to use fireboard and create as much space from any nearby surfaces as possible.

Edited by floatsyourboat

I'm fairly clear that the requirements of BS 8511 are NOT mandatory to follow under the RCD.

BS 8511 was a British only excercise and resulted from a direct recommendation by the (British) Marine Accident Investigation Bureau report into the "Lindy Lou" boat fire.

Certainly the BS has not been incorporated into the list of International Standards (ISO) that are "harmonised" with the RCD itself, even the new one approved by the EU parliament last October.

The RCD does have an ISO (9094) which covers "Fire Protection" but this does not specifically address the subject of solid fuel stoves and their flues. The current issue of this ISO has no requirement for flues to be insulated, only that they are "shielded to avoid damage to adjacent surfaces" and it makes no statement on how this has to be achieved.

There was a new draft issue of ISO 9094 which I read a while ago but which seems to have gone into the long grass of further discussion and is not now available to view. From memory I don't think it said any more on flues than what I've quoted above.

Richard

Thanks for all the help people.

Floatsyourboat thanks for voicing your objection to MTB rude behaviour I ignored the poor etiquette as its not worthy of my attention.

Cheers.

I work with Flues every day and I find the mis-spelling of the word offensive. Though less offensive than you seem to find the pointing out of the (minor) error.

Very puzzling.

MtB

Now I am intrigued.

Why is a mis spelling is offensive?

Can you draught a suitable response to this question?

rolleyes.gif

**pedant alert**

Is this a good time to point out that your second sentence doesn't make sense?

And in your third sentence I think you meant "draft" a response.

biggrin.png

Now I am intrigued.

Why is a mis spelling is offensive?

Can you draught a suitable response to this question?

rolleyes.gif

For the same reason that pointing out a spelling howler is offensive. I.e. it isn't!

If I was spelling an easy-to-spell word wrongly whilst thinking it waa right, I'd be pleased to have my error pointed out. It would be making me look either stupid or ill-educated and both possibilities would bother me.

Unlike the OP it appears.

You're welcome for the helpful advice I offered though.

MtB

P.S. I hope you notice the open goal I've handed you!! :D

For the same reason that pointing out a spelling howler is offensive. I.e. it isn't!

If I was spelling an easy-to-spell word wrongly whilst thinking it waa right, I'd be pleased to have my error pointed out. It would be making me look either stupid or ill-educated and both possibilities would bother me.

Unlike the OP it appears.

You're welcome for the helpful advice I offered though.

MtB

P.S. I hope you notice the open goal I've handed you!! :D

To be fair Mike I just assumed you expressed an opinion as you did not really give an answer to my question which I now find confusing as you have stated you work with "flues" everyday.

Not to worry give them a big kiss and stroke from me for calling them "flu's" I'm sure they won't take it to heart ;)

Edited by CaptainJacks